Holidays #2 - 2022 roundup and plans for 2023

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Booked Cape Verde last night. Going back to Sal.

Also looking for Norway/Iceland cruise for later in the year. Ideally want to see northern lights. Is there a better time of year for seeing them?
I visited Iceland for the first time back in October and we saw the Northern Lights twice - it's pot luck though but I think September-April is a good time to hopefully catch them! That's why we booked for October :)

I'm looking at doing a Norway cruise next year

Reactions: 1

Also looking for Norway/Iceland cruise for later in the year. Ideally want to see northern lights. Is there a better time of year for seeing them?
Yes, you need to go when it’s dark (avoiding the midnight sun period in the summer), I think October to March/April are the best times for Iceland, not sure if Norway is any different. Fingers crossed you see the lights, they are amazing 🤩

• Heart
Has anyone been to the Caribbean? I'm dreaming of holidays and it's definitely on my bucket list. I'd love to know how you did it - did you go on a cruise so you can take in several places in the one trip, or did you go direct to your destination? Which country did you go to?

Has anyone been to the Caribbean? I'm dreaming of holidays and it's definitely on my bucket list. I'd love to know how you did it - did you go on a cruise so you can take in several places in the one trip, or did you go direct to your destination? Which country did you go to?
I went 4 or 5 times when I was younger and I look back at the photos and I can’t believe how beautiful it was 😍 I know we went directly to wherever we were staying and we went to the Dominican Republic. I can’t remember much else I’m gonna have to ask my dad 🤣 But I’d love to go to some other countries

• Heart

We went beginning of December and saw them on our second night!.

• Heart
I've been to St Kitts, Antigua and Cuba ( all at different times!)
stayed in AI hotels but hired a jeep in St Kitts to tour round island independently
Antigua and Cuba was with teenagers and they loved both places for different reasons, loads of opportunities to meet other teens and they were never bored!
Flew Virgin airlines to Antigua and Cuba ( booked holiday with them too) ...BA to St Kitts ...(but this was in 1991! )
beaches were fantastic and sea was beautifully warm - Antigua was by far the best ....we chartered a yacht for the day and also took helicopter flight to Montserrat ( above volcanic crater!)
Cuba was an amazing experience...we stayed in Varadero but took a trip to Havana- definitely worth a visit- food in Cuba is not the best but the music and culture is great

• Heart
Does anyone know if it makes a difference when you check in?? I’m flying with emirates - when asked which seat I prefer I said window near the front. I don’t want to pay to pick a seat, I’ll just put up with whatever but any tips on how to get a good seat??
Does it depend on the airline? I flew with Turkish Airlines recently and got a great seat, first row aisle with extra leg room without paying extra. I think I must’ve been one of the last to check in as it wouldn’t allow me to online so I had to do it at the airport check in desk. My parents also checked in last minute with Ryan air I think, didn’t pay to pick seats and ended up with extra leg room seats next to each other.
What’s other people’s experiences, is it best to check in last? Or will it be best to check in ASAP with emirates as they ask for a preferred seat?

Does anyone know if it makes a difference when you check in?? I’m flying with emirates - when asked which seat I prefer I said window near the front. I don’t want to pay to pick a seat, I’ll just put up with whatever but any tips on how to get a good seat??
Does it depend on the airline? I flew with Turkish Airlines recently and got a great seat, first row aisle with extra leg room without paying extra. I think I must’ve been one of the last to check in as it wouldn’t allow me to online so I had to do it at the airport check in desk. My parents also checked in last minute with Ryan air I think, didn’t pay to pick seats and ended up with extra leg room seats next to each other.
What’s other people’s experiences, is it best to check in last? Or will it be best to check in ASAP with emirates as they ask for a preferred seat?
The way to get the seat you want is obviously just to pay. In terms of when you check in - its honestly pure luck. However keep in mind with checking in late - if your flight is overbooked then those who check in late are sometimes more likely to get bumped off the flight.

Reactions: 5
@Former_Antelopee I was going to say the same thing about being bumped off the flight. This happened last year to a friend who couldn't do online check in for some reason and so when we got to the airport she went to check in but the flight was overbooked and she missed the first night of our holiday. She was so annoyed because it wasn't even her fault that the online check in wasn't working and we got to the airport 3 hours ahead. That was with BA. I would always try and do online check in if you can, and usually the website will tell you when you are able to check in.

Flying with klm edi to Amsterdam and then connecting there to fly to Budapest also with klm, taking hand luggage only does anyone know if I need to go through security when connecting flights?

Flying with klm edi to Amsterdam and then connecting there to fly to Budapest also with klm, taking hand luggage only does anyone know if I need to go through security when connecting flights?
You shouldn't need to, as you aren't allowed to exit the security-cleared area of the airport :) Basically you'll stay in "transfers" or "connecting terminals" instead of exiting the terminal area completely.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
You shouldn't need to, as you aren't allowed to exit the security-cleared area of the airport :) Basically you'll stay in "transfers" or "connecting terminals" instead of exiting the terminal area completely.
Brilliant thank you Brexit had me thrown 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I connected in Istanbul in October with the same airline and had to go through a security check where I had to throw away liquids. It was annoying as on the way there I didn’t have to do this just walked straight from my first flight into the terminal for the second flight. On the way back I went through that internal security and I’d bought enough water for both flights which I then had to throw away as I couldn’t take it through for the second flight on the way home

What do people recommend for the best travel money card to get?
Revolut! Since I got it I've been recommending it far and wide. You can keep multiple currencies and there is no fee for converting money plus their exchange rate is minimal

Reactions: 4
Sometimes even staying airside there will still be some sort of security. We've transferred at Heathrow on one ticket through 'Connections' and had to do a security check.

Can anyone recommend somewhere cheap and warm and preferably a short flight for April, I need a break😆 looking for just 3 nights

Can anyone recommend somewhere cheap and warm and preferably a short flight for April, I need a break😆 looking for just 3 nights
Barcelona!. We went in April and it was so hot!. Lovely culture and things to look at but also a beach!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.