Holidays #2 - 2022 roundup and plans for 2023

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I liked the weed 😂

In all seriousness, it's a very walkable city and perfect for cycling. Just found it nice for exploring, cool buildings around etc. Some people love it, some don't. Last time I didn't have a chance to go to museums, so will definitely aim to do it this time.

Doing a canal boat tour is a good way to quickly see a few areas and find out some fun facts and it's relatively cheap so I would recommend doing that. Cycling was also really good as it's so flat and cyclist friendly.

They also have these cool vending machines for hot snacks
Conscious I've literally not recommended anything cultured 😂 guess this is why I'm going the second time
Tbf I'm not really a city girl, although I am trying to see all the major cities in Europe. Not sure if I will partake, going with a friend who is a bit prudish - can't wait to walk her into the redlight district 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Tbf I'm not really a city girl, although I am trying to see all the major cities in Europe. Not sure if I will partake, going with a friend who is a bit prudish - can't wait to walk her into the redlight district 😁
Good luck 🤣 red light district is pretty busy, too crowdy for me tbh! But worth seeing I guess.

Reactions: 1
Off to Amsterdam in May. Any recommendations for places to eat? I've noticed there is loads of restaurants. Bonus if it's a bit different. I've already seen a Cat cafe and a ping pong bar 😁
Couple of faves from when we went last March - https://foodhallen.nl/amsterdam has lots of little traders and bars.
And https://www.bistrotdesalpesamsterdam.nl/ amazing fondue restaurant and really good wine. Definitely recommend booking as its not that big, but was highly recommended to us by a friend who lives on the outskirts and we loved it.
As @Mamacita said, its a great city to walk around and explore, and definitely do a boat tour as its nice to see the city from the water. One thing that we did that I probably wouldn't recommend was the A'dam lookout, it was okay but nothing amazing. If/when we go back, I'd like to go to the Rijksmuseum as I've heard it's amazing, but we didn't have time to do it.

Couple of faves from when we went last March - https://foodhallen.nl/amsterdam has lots of little traders and bars.
And https://www.bistrotdesalpesamsterdam.nl/ amazing fondue restaurant and really good wine. Definitely recommend booking as its not that big, but was highly recommended to us by a friend who lives on the outskirts and we loved it.
As @Mamacita said, its a great city to walk around and explore, and definitely do a boat tour as its nice to see the city from the water. One thing that we did that I probably wouldn't recommend was the A'dam lookout, it was okay but nothing amazing. If/when we go back, I'd like to go to the Rijksmuseum as I've heard it's amazing, but we didn't have time to do it.
Thank you, I love a fondue. Haven’t had one in years

• Heart
Well I very much enjoyed my little trip to Alicante. I would definitely go back!
Flown to Alicante a few times, but always to holiday further along the coast.
I was really impressed.Gotta love a city and beach combo!

I have krakow later in the year with a friend, but I’m fancying another city solo break!
Thinking of Venice, but wondering if it’s abit of a couples kind of place rather than for solo travellers! Any suggestions?

Meanwhile, hubby and I have booked Kos for June . Was going to do flights and accommodation separately, but then thought I’d have a look at packages and got a good deal with tui.

Finally booked our holiday....split between India and Bali! ( husband born there and not been back since he was a baby! ) ...then 2 weeks in Bali to visit 26 yr old daughter who's been living/working there for last 18months
cannot wait!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Am I getting mugged off here?. I got a little water on my passport. Photo page is absolutely fine. Chip is reading OK and there's no damage. A couple of the pages have that crinkled look but no damage and the rest of the pages are absolutely fine. Called the passport office to check and she advised replacing it and paying for fastrack as we are going away end of April. My understanding was that if photo page is fine and and water damage is minimal it should still be OK. Obviously she gave me the 'I couldn't guarantee you wouldn't get trouble at other borders'. But now it's made me paranoid. I know I should err on the side of caution and replace it. Has anyone replaced there's recently and how long did it take?

• Wow
Am I getting mugged off here?. I got a little water on my passport. Photo page is absolutely fine. Chip is reading OK and there's no damage. A couple of the pages have that crinkled look but no damage and the rest of the pages are absolutely fine. Called the passport office to check and she advised replacing it and paying for fastrack as we are going away end of April. My understanding was that if photo page is fine and and water damage is minimal it should still be OK. Obviously she gave me the 'I couldn't guarantee you wouldn't get trouble at other borders'. But now it's made me paranoid. I know I should err on the side of caution and replace it. Has anyone replaced there's recently and how long did it take?
I’m sure it would be fine but if you’re worried, mine only took a week to come

I’m sure it would be fine but if you’re worried, mine only took a week to come
I'm going to renew it because I'll just be paranoid otherwise but could really do without it. Had one of those months when I've had to fork out for so much!

• Heart
A couple of weeks but mine was over New Year so probably caused delays. I think it would be worth doing for peace of mind even though it'll probably be OK. My old one had water damage and I used it all last year and it was fine, as you say the pages were just crinkled.

I'm going to renew it because I'll just be paranoid otherwise but could really do without it. Had one of those months when I've had to fork out for so much!
I definitely think you're doing the right thing. You don't want any issues at border control (here or abroad). For the peace of mind it's worth it.

We've finally booked Paris for May this year! On travel groups on Facebook people seem to jump down your throat to tell you how tit Paris is :rolleyes:they can be so snobby!

Are there any must-dos? Aside from the usual tourist traps? ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I enjoyed the day trip to Versailles in the Summer. Not inside the house but the gardens and park are stunning

• Heart
A little OT, but still travel related. Does anyone use Booking.com?

I’ve just reached genius level two after my last stay.
it says so on my account, but they haven’t updated it. Does anyone know how long it takes!

I need to book a hotel for one night next week, and I’d rather do it with a possible 15% discount rather than the 10% on level 1.

Has anyone been to the Canaries? We were thinking of going there this year but I've looked around the areas on googlemaps of the hotels our travel agent sent of Lanzarote and Tenerife and it looks rough tbh :confused: and flights more expensive than going to Spain or Portugal
Agree with the aforementioned comments about Gran Canaria. The Riu hotels are good and we stayed at a lovely Radisson spa hotel.

Also look at Fueteventura (sorry I can’t spell it). Also really lovely. Amazing beaches.

Well I very much enjoyed my little trip to Alicante. I would definitely go back!
Flown to Alicante a few times, but always to holiday further along the coast.
I was really impressed.Gotta love a city and beach combo!

I have krakow later in the year with a friend, but I’m fancying another city solo break!
Thinking of Venice, but wondering if it’s abit of a couples kind of place rather than for solo travellers! Any suggestions?

Meanwhile, hubby and I have booked Kos for June . Was going to do flights and accommodation separately, but then thought I’d have a look at packages and got a good deal with tui.
I went to Riga last year on my own really enjoyed it, Tallinn is supposed to be good too

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I went to Tallinn at Christmas just before the pandemic, it was so great! A lovely city, lots to see and amazing food and drink. Would defo recommend.

Booked Cape Verde last night. Going back to Sal.

Also looking for Norway/Iceland cruise for later in the year. Ideally want to see northern lights. Is there a better time of year for seeing them?

I went to Tallinn at Christmas just before the pandemic, it was so great! A lovely city, lots to see and amazing food and drink. Would defo recommend.
I really liked Tallinn as well, very walkable, loads to see and it wasn't too expesnive either to get nice food. Depending on how long one stays, you can take a ferry over to Helsinki for a day. The harbour is a very short walk from the famous dome and the Uspenski cathedral also isn't far (well, nothing in main Helsinki is, it's not a big town). Love Helsinki, I haven't been for ages, but I always liked being there.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.