Hilaria Baldwin / Hillary Hayward-Thomas and Alec Baldwin

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There are 2 massive threads on MN about this and the Spanish people who have contributed haven pretty much uniformly said her Spanish is amazing, and that she must be one of those natural linguistics.
Listening to her myself I thought that! I have lived in Spain !! I was expecting her to be worse!! TBH

Reactions: 5
I actually thought she was good!! I myself have lived in Spain and to the untrained person she sounds like a true Spaniard!! The intonation and the accent, let’s say she doesn’t sound a foreigner speaking Spanish!! I was expecting her to be worse
Fair play. It’s a shame her clear love for the Spanish language and culture has been tainted by her derty derty LIES 😂

Reactions: 14
I actually thought she was good!! I myself have lived in Spain and to the untrained person she sounds like a true Spaniard!! The intonation and the accent, let’s say she doesn’t sound a foreigner speaking Spanish!! I was expecting her to be worse
Yes the accent is great, and lots of emphasis in places where it should be to ‘sound Spanish’ but the vocabulary is very limited which makes it seems more like a studied language rather than a natural speaker.

My husband speaks very little Spanish but could understand everything she was saying in the interview due to the limited content of it

Reactions: 9
Yes the accent is great, and lots of emphasis in places where it should be to ‘sound Spanish’ but the vocabulary is very limited which makes it seems more like a studied language rather than a natural speaker.

My husband speaks very little Spanish but could understand everything she was saying in the interview due to the limited content of it
Someone here mentioned they were on another post/site I think it Eltonjohnflorist the Spanish contributors said she was great !! So who knows

There are 2 massive threads on MN about this and the Spanish people who have contributed haven pretty much uniformly said her Spanish is amazing, and that she must be one of those natural linguistics.
@MrsDimSum here it is

Reactions: 1
I’d love to know what a native Spanish speaker thinks of this
I'm from Spain and she has quite a good accent, there may be some words that don't sound quite spanish but she sounds almost native.

And referring to the previous discussion about race, here in Spain we consider ourselves as white. We have people who aren't white because they have migrated to Spain but a big part of the population is just white. And referring to the diferent skin tones it's just genetics, my mom is fairly pale while my fathers side of the family has more of and olive skin tone.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Maybe being American it didn’t seem as weird to her. I’m Irish & you always hear of Americans claiming to be Irish when there hasn’t been a person born in Ireland in their family in generations. It’s part of the culture to be Irish-American, Italian-American etc. It’s still a push though considering she has no blood links with Spain.

Reactions: 11
I think a lot of Europeans find it difficult to understand why people from North America are interested in their roots but I totally get it when you are from a young country - family history is interesting and fascinating and it's ok to identify with places that your ancestors are from. But if you are born in the USA to Italian or Irish great grandparents, you really are American. What Hilaria did is completely different of course - she lied about where she is from which is really weird and odd and I think that lying about who you are points to much deeper issues.

And I think a lot of people here are confusing culture with genetics. It is absolutely inevitable that the culture you grew up in is going to be most influential over who you are as a person regardless of where your parents or grandparents are from. Genetically, I am 15% West African but I have never been to West Africa and I know absolutely nothing about the culture. After I did the DNA test, I became a lot more interested in finding out but I would never call myself African! That's utterly absurd.

Reactions: 7
Maybe being American it didn’t seem as weird to her. I’m Irish & you always hear of Americans claiming to be Irish when there hasn’t been a person born in Ireland in their family in generations. It’s part of the culture to be Irish-American, Italian-American etc. It’s still a push though considering she has no blood links with Spain.
Yeah I find it wierd. I get the fact it is a young country but I suppose I find it hard to see how that feels coming from the U.K. I have Irish great grandparents on 3 sides and I tell people I’m British because that’s what I am. In America that would qualify as strong Irish blood 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 9
At what point are you just American? How many generations of grandparents born in the US does it take for the Italian-American etc to just be american or does it just never leave as a form of identity?

Yeah I find it wierd. I get the fact it is a young country but I suppose I find it hard to see how that feels coming from the U.K. I have Irish great grandparents on 3 sides and I tell people I’m British because that’s what I am. In America that would qualify as strong Irish blood 😆
It is a bit strange. What’s wrong with being American?! If a person wasn’t born in Ireland & their parents weren’t born in Ireland I struggle to see how they’re Irish. They have Irish ancestry, but I wouldn’t think they themselves are Irish. We’ve come a long way from “No dogs & no Irish” sure everyone wants to be Irish these days! Except Hilary, maybe should sure have tried a Paddy accent! I’d love to hear it although it’s possibly not as sexy!

• Haha
  • Heart
I've lived in Canada and it's the same thing. The amount of times I was told "I'm British too." "You don't sound English. When was the last time you want?" "I've never actually been but that's where my grandparents are from." "You're not British, you're still Canadian." 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Not sure if I have anything to add about the Spanish thing as I am very baffled as to why she felt the need to over exaggerate her spanishness but on the Nanny thing, she has admitted on numerous occasions that she has plenty of help with the children and running the household. You can't deny that she is still pretty hands on with the children, if I had that many small children and that much money I would sure employ some help 😂

Reactions: 4
I always think by the time you’ve hired 5 nannies a PA housekeeper etc... keeping everyone in line is pretty much a job in itself. I’m sure it’s less work for hilartiaaaa if she had 2 nannies, say.

Reactions: 6
I have a friend with four Irish grandparents - she's Scots as that's where she and her parents were born and live/d!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I have a friend with four Irish grandparents - she's Scots as that's where she and her parents were born and live/d!
I’m English, my parents aren’t, they’re from other countries within the U.K. - I call myself English because I am... I was born here, have an English accent, on paper I am English even if it upsets both of my parents when I support England in the World Cup haha! Point is, just because my parents are from another country that doesn’t make me from there because I am not.

• Heart
So odd when it appears she tried to make herself looking more Spanish by basically dying everything!
I'm sure I've said this before but as a mother of 2 mixed race children, this is so offensive! I'm dark skinned, my children are both olive skinned so look nothing like me. When my son was born he was completely white. One of the dads on the ward was chatting to me because I was chatting to his wife. When he saw my son he jokingly said ' Who's the mother?' I laughed it off but I can still remember it. There are parents of mixed race children that this has happened to. Its rude and upsetting. She must know this kind of thing happens so she has appropriated someone else's experiences of racism to garner sympathy. And shes done it in 'Latina' magazine, read by non white Spanish speakers, who it could well have happened to. Most of the rest of it is just a chance to take the piss out of a stupid vain woman but to me, the appropriation of racist experiences as her own is not funny at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.