Health Anxiety

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Are you on the pill? That can help endo. Maybe chat to your Dr again and tell him how anxious you are and if he thinks it's OK to leave the lap for a while? Unfortunately, it can cause problems conceiving so if you want children, maybe it's best to get the diagnosis and treatment? Good luck x
Thank you, no not any contraception and not planning to have children so for that reason I don’t feel as worried. I will try talking to him again and see what he says. Thank you xx

Thank you, no not any contraception and not planning to have children so for that reason I don’t feel as worried. I will try talking to him again and see what he says. Thank you xx
There is no cure for it so I suppose if you don't want children then I wouldn't put yourself through the lap if all it's for is to confirm you have got it and offer you treatments which is mainly the pill or having surgery to remove the patches of endo tissue (my friends have had that). My friends that have it had/have horrendous periods and very painful x

There is no cure for it so I suppose if you don't want children then I wouldn't put yourself through the lap if all it's for is to confirm you have got it and offer you treatments which is mainly the pill or having surgery to remove the patches of endo tissue (my friends have had that). My friends that have it had/have horrendous periods and very painful x
Yep this is kind of my thoughts and if I have it I think it is on the milder side. Other than the occasional period pains the only other symptom I have is the pain during intercourse. I was honestly surprised when I saw my GP, she didn’t really listen to what I was saying just referred me for tests saying she thought it to be endo so that’s what they’ve been looking for. Luckily the consultant at the hospital has listened to me a bit more and has checked my cervix and tested for any infection and that’s all come back normal. I don’t want to have to put myself through a procedure for something I’m unsure I have but of course it’s the only way to find out and added to that is my absolute fear of anaesthetic (someone I knew died whilst under when I was in my teens and that’s really stayed with me) I’m feeling really quite anxious and stressed about it. Just need a bit more time I think to weight it up.

I had painful sex years ago and went to see a Consultant and they examined me and couldn't find anything and suggested I was having rough sex!! (I wasn't!). Funnily enough once they said there was nothing wrong the pain went which is what often happens with my HA! Once I'm told there's nothing wrong that 'problem' goes to be replaced by another that I fixate on!

Have you tried using lubricant during sex to see if that stops the pain?

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I had painful sex years ago and went to see a Consultant and they examined me and couldn't find anything and suggested I was having rough sex!! (I wasn't!). Funnily enough once they said there was nothing wrong the pain went which is what often happens with my HA! Once I'm told there's nothing wrong that 'problem' goes to be replaced by another that I fixate on!

Have you tried using lubricant during sex to see if that stops the pain?
It is funny how our mind works. Yes I’ve tried lubricant, it feels like a stabbing pain quite high up, that’s the best way I can describe it. I never had it before, I think there’s only been 1 time in the past year or so that it hasn’t hurt. Sometimes it’s more bearable than others, sometimes we have to be more gentle. I have wondered if it’s because I’ve been under a lot of stress, I had 3 bereavements in 8 and a half months, 2 of which were my parents. I’m now starting to wonder if there’s a link to how I’ve been emotionally, I would think it possible if it felt like it was because of lubrication but it really is a stabbing pain and having had a lletz in the past I wondered if it was something to do with that, endo never crossed my mind but they’ve checked my cervix and said it looks fine. Women’s bodies eh!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
Never underestimate the power of stress, unhappiness, or any kind of negative emotion on your physical health! I get everything from back aches to stomach pain to itchy eyes when I’m stressed out. What really helps me out is exercise, meditation, eating and sleeping well, and staying away from negative influences as much as possible. Also cut yourself some slack, and stressing about a health issue (which I know is sometimes unavoidable) will only make things worse so I try to fill my day up so I’m not sitting there and speculating the worst.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Never underestimate the power of stress, unhappiness, or any kind of negative emotion on your physical health! I get everything from back aches to stomach pain to itchy eyes when I’m stressed out. What really helps me out is exercise, meditation, eating and sleeping well, and staying away from negative influences as much as possible. Also cut yourself some slack, and stressing about a health issue (which I know is sometimes unavoidable) will only make things worse so I try to fill my day up so I’m not sitting there and speculating the worst.
Yep, maybe it would be worth waiting until my emotions have settled down to see if it goes away rather than having a procedure I might not need. I wouldn’t think they’d refuse me one in the future if it continued.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Yep, maybe it would be worth waiting until my emotions have settled down to see if it goes away rather than having a procedure I might not need. I wouldn’t think they’d refuse me one in the future if it continued.
Also try to sleep earlier (before midnight for sure!), wake up early, and eat well - you may see some major changes! I'm not a hipster or picky eater by any means but I've found that cutting out most dairy, and reducing the amount of red meat and sugar I consume helps my physical and mental health A LOT.

• Heart
Also try to sleep earlier (before midnight for sure!), wake up early, and eat well - you may see some major changes! I'm not a hipster or picky eater by any means but I've found that cutting out most dairy, and reducing the amount of red meat and sugar I consume helps my physical and mental health A LOT.
Thanks, I am almost always asleep before midnight, usually by 11 or earlier. I’ve have been very stressed out though and starting to feel more depressed so I know that’s an area I need to work on but I think a lot of us have been feeling that way lately!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
It is funny how our mind works. Yes I’ve tried lubricant, it feels like a stabbing pain quite high up, that’s the best way I can describe it. I never had it before, I think there’s only been 1 time in the past year or so that it hasn’t hurt. Sometimes it’s more bearable than others, sometimes we have to be more gentle. I have wondered if it’s because I’ve been under a lot of stress, I had 3 bereavements in 8 and a half months, 2 of which were my parents. I’m now starting to wonder if there’s a link to how I’ve been emotionally, I would think it possible if it felt like it was because of lubrication but it really is a stabbing pain and having had a lletz in the past I wondered if it was something to do with that, endo never crossed my mind but they’ve checked my cervix and said it looks fine. Women’s bodies eh!
So sorry to hear about your parents and your other bereavement. That's a lot to handle in such a short space of time. I think it's definitely worth talking to your Dr again or the Consultant to see if it's another factor causing it x

Ugh, HA is the worst! I have suffered since 2008 when I was “ill” and they dis loads of blood tests, CT scans MRI only to leave me undiagnosed in the end. I was so relieved to have nothing wrong with me but it hit me a year later and at my worst I could almost not function. I knew 4 years after it started I needed help when I couldn’t leave the house (apart from going to work) without being given at least 3 days notice that we were going out with friends etc. I couldn’t cope with spontanaity every single day had to be controlled and preplanned.

My GP sent me for CBT which did nothing for me. In the end I got councelling and that did absolute wonders for me. Once I could talk about my fears in a safe environment with no judgement it felt like a weight was lifted. I could say every single crazy thing that goes through my mind (and I knew it was not normal thoughts) and once I said it out loud to another person the relief was almost instant.
I still suffer with HA on and off but have done surprisingly well during cov19. I know what to look out for and try to deal with it before it runs away with me.
I would 100% recommend councelling. My first councellor was fantastic and we just clicked. Sometimes it can be a bit hit and miss but once you find the right councellor it is amazing

• Heart
Reactions: 4
So sorry to hear about your parents and your other bereavement. That's a lot to handle in such a short space of time. I think it's definitely worth talking to your Dr again or the Consultant to see if it's another factor causing it x
Thank you 😘xx

So it’s now been 12 days since my flexible sigmoidoscopy, and still nothing ☹ I rang my Drs so said still no results. I’m really worrying now 🥺 does anyone with experience in these procedures know why it would take so long? Part of me thinks okay he wasn’t worried so everything’s fine and it’s just taking a long time because it’s not priority, but the other part of me is thinking maybe they found something and are doing extra tests to determine staging etc 😪 anyone else had a flexisig procedure?

• Heart
So it’s now been 12 days since my flexible sigmoidoscopy, and still nothing ☹ I rang my Drs so said still no results. I’m really worrying now 🥺 does anyone with experience in these procedures know why it would take so long? Part of me thinks okay he wasn’t worried so everything’s fine and it’s just taking a long time because it’s not priority, but the other part of me is thinking maybe they found something and are doing extra tests to determine staging etc 😪 anyone else had a flexisig procedure?
There's possibly a delay due to Covid but if at the time they didn't seem concerned then I would try not to worry. They can normally see what they're looking for there and then. My Dad's tumour was found as soon as they tried to do the procedure so they stopped and took him into a private room to inform him they did think it was cancer and he needed a CT Scan.

There's possibly a delay due to Covid but if at the time they didn't seem concerned then I would try not to worry. They can normally see what they're looking for there and then. My Dad's tumour was found as soon as they tried to do the procedure so they stopped and took him into a private room to inform him they did think it was cancer and he needed a CT Scan.
I’m sorry to hear that, is he okay now? I have to keep reminding myself what’s the point in being a doctor for 30 years (yes I read up on his credentials on the Drs register 🙈) if you can’t tell a bad polyp from a benign polyp lol but it still worries me ☹ The nurse Even said ‘he doesn’t foresee any problems’ so I just got to take comfort in that I suppose ☹ And they showed me the polyp after removing it

In my experience, if something is wrong, they usually try to contact you asap and will leave messages asking for a call back l if you're not around! They usually take a bit more time with it if everything is fine, so don't worry yourself too much. I completely understand why you'd feel this way though (I am similar with test results!) and sending lots of good vibes your way.

• Heart
I’m sorry to hear that, is he okay now? I have to keep reminding myself what’s the point in being a doctor for 30 years (yes I read up on his credentials on the Drs register 🙈) if you can’t tell a bad polyp from a benign polyp lol but it still worries me ☹ The nurse Even said ‘he doesn’t foresee any problems’ so I just got to take comfort in that I suppose ☹ And they showed me the polyp after removing it
Sadly no, he died of bowel cancer but he was in his 70's. Try not to let that freak you out. My point was they knew straightaway he had cancer. Your Dr reassured you, the Nurse reassured you, they showed you the polyp. I really wouldn't worry.

My HA is odd in that once i receive reassurance, I'm OK. Although i do then move on to another health problem to obsess over!

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.