Health Anxiety

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've had a few test results back this morning showing nothing, which made me really anxious in case that means my symptoms are due to something more complicated or serious. I'll get more results this week and have two more examinations coming up this week and next week; this ongoing medical stuff is my worst nightmare really. I feel like I can't function until it's over and I'm in the clear. I don't want to live with this discomfort for the rest of my life. :/

Reactions: 1
I've had a few test results back this morning showing nothing, which made me really anxious in case that means my symptoms are due to something more complicated or serious. I'll get more results this week and have two more examinations coming up this week and next week; this ongoing medical stuff is my worst nightmare really. I feel like I can't function until it's over and I'm in the clear. I don't want to live with this discomfort for the rest of my life. :/
They’re probably being cause by anxiety ❤ Honestly it’s mad how many sensations/feelings your brain can create physically in your body! Is there anything else going on in your life which is causing you to project negative feelings onto your health anxiety? I’m not saying your symptoms aren’t real but I know now after counselling being worried about my health sometimes means I’m actually worried about something else but it’s manifesting as health anxiety x

Reactions: 2
How do you go about getting a diagnosis for something like this without sounding like you're over worrying about this too?

Reactions: 3
Are you willing to say what health problem you're being investigated for?

The thing with Health Anxiety is you will obsess for a while over one health issue and then once you receive reassurance, you will begin to obsess over another. The brain is very powerful. It can actually create symptoms.

I've suffered from HA for over 21 years...before that, I suffered with another form of OCD. Unfortunately, I've passed it on to my daughter (although I'm sure mine was inherited from my Dad). My daughter had blood tests last year that came back as normal but it didn't reassure her, she kept saying 'but maybe they should have tested this or that'.

I don't really have any advice as I still struggle but it really is mind over matter. Try no to google, try not to obsess. You need to distract yourself.

Are you willing to say what health problem you're being investigated for?

The thing with Health Anxiety is you will obsess for a while over one health issue and then once you receive reassurance, you will begin to obsess over another. The brain is very powerful. It can actually create symptoms.

I've suffered from HA for over 21 years...before that, I suffered with another form of OCD. Unfortunately, I've passed it on to my daughter (although I'm sure mine was inherited from my Dad). My daughter had blood tests last year that came back as normal but it didn't reassure her, she kept saying 'but maybe they should have tested this or that'.

I don't really have any advice as I still struggle but it really is mind over matter. Try no to google, try not to obsess. You need to distract yourself.
Vaginal stuff... I've had a stinging pain along with some other weird symptoms in the general area, including some brief moments of shooting pain up my crotch which felt scary to me, plus I had two periods in 3 weeks (maybe brought on by stress, yeah).

I've never heard of vagina pain being a symptom of anxiety, that's all. I can reassure myself with things like chest pain, maybe even periods being early or late, stomach upset, headaches, that sort of thing because I know stress plays a big part in those, but this feels more like a "real" problem I suppose. I have definitely been obsessing and focusing on the sensations every second of the day, so I am highly anxious and I know that could have knock on effects.

Now I've been tested for the basics like thrush, etc. I'm scared of a more long-term thing or more medical investigations.

Vaginal stuff... I've had a stinging pain along with some other weird symptoms in the general area, including some brief moments of shooting pain up my crotch which felt scary to me, plus I had two periods in 3 weeks (maybe brought on by stress, yeah).

I've never heard of vagina pain being a symptom of anxiety, that's all. I can reassure myself with things like chest pain, maybe even periods being early or late, stomach upset, headaches, that sort of thing because I know stress plays a big part in those, but this feels more like a "real" problem I suppose. I have definitely been obsessing and focusing on the sensations every second of the day, so I am highly anxious and I know that could have knock on effects.

Now I've been tested for the basics like thrush, etc. I'm scared of a more long-term thing or more medical investigations.
It could be endometriosis? My friend has that and she gets shooting pains in her vagina. Stinging pain sounds like cystitis.

I've had the shooting pain, I get it up my bum as well! Sometimes pains in the vaginal area can come from the back. I've had this where I get a tingling to the left of my vagina but it's related to a disc problem I have in my back.

I was also going to say endo, I get shooting pains as part of my endometriosis. Things with periods etc can be so hard because women are so often dismissed for their health problems especially when it comes to sexual health. I would say that no matter how silly or invalid you feel keep pushing for a diagnosis. My endo diagnosis was 8 years in the making. Hope they figure something out and that you're feeling better soon

The vagina is made up of muscles and you can definitely carry tension in the muscles of the pelvic floor,
some womens vaginal muscles tighten so much with fear or worry they are even unable to have sex or the muscles tensing so much make it very painful,
Down below can definitely react to emotional states of the mind, hope this helps little X

• Heart

Have you tried any anxiety medication? I was prescribed it for general anxiety, but I do also have health anxiety (especially around vagina/womb issues, I find this horrifying as I was assaulted when younger so anything like even a smear is extremely traumatic for me so I feel you with this <3) I found it pretty helpful. Just calms you down a bit and also totally stops any of the horrid physical symptoms of anxiety like racing heart, sweating etc. It was propranolol I had, unfortunately I can't it anymore as it interacts with some other meds I'm on but it might be worth a try? It works immediately and stops if you stop taking it so there's no tapering on or off it etc. Hope you get some answers soon.

It could be endometriosis? My friend has that and she gets shooting pains in her vagina. Stinging pain sounds like cystitis.

I've had the shooting pain, I get it up my bum as well! Sometimes pains in the vaginal area can come from the back. I've had this where I get a tingling to the left of my vagina but it's related to a disc problem I have in my back.
I just found your post while searching endometriosis, is that the cause of your shooting pains? My consultant suspects I have endo and I get these pains too 😬

I just found your post while searching endometriosis, is that the cause of your shooting pains? My consultant suspects I have endo and I get these pains too 😬
The vagina shooting pains are what my friend has and she has endometriosis.

I used to get shooting pains up my bum and they often coincided with my period but I haven’t had them for years now. I don’t have endo.

The vagina shooting pains are what my friend has and she has endometriosis.

I used to get shooting pains up my bum and they often coincided with my period but I haven’t had them for years now. I don’t have endo.
Thank you for replying, I’m really trying to avoid having a laparoscopy (I have a complete phobia of general anaesthetic and going under) but know I’m probably going to have to go through with it. Just trying to do as much research as I can into the symptoms.

Thank you for replying, I’m really trying to avoid having a laparoscopy (I have a complete phobia of general anaesthetic and going under) but know I’m probably going to have to go through with it. Just trying to do as much research as I can into the symptoms.
Yes that’s the only way it can be diagnosed. I also have HA so I can understand your fear. I have a fear of operations 😩

Yes that’s the only way it can be diagnosed. I also have HA so I can understand your fear. I have a fear of operations 😩
Thank you for understanding, I am pretty terrified of being put under. I have been in the past so I know I can do it when I need to but if I can avoid it I will!

Thank you for understanding, I am pretty terrified of being put under. I have been in the past so I know I can do it when I need to but if I can avoid it I will!
Yes I’ve been under but it doesn’t stop the fear! I don’t think it takes long though to do the procedure so you wouldn’t be under for long.

Yes I’ve been under but it doesn’t stop the fear! I don’t think it takes long though to do the procedure so you wouldn’t be under for long.
No I think they said about 15 minutes I’m just a baby about these things and this morning reading about potential complications hasn’t helped. I tend to be a worst case scenario thinker and always imagine that the rare complication will be the one that happens to me 🤦🏻‍♀️I didn’t even suspect I had endo, I went to the dr as intercourse had become painful and before I know it they’re wanting to do the lap. I’m not sure what I was expecting when I went to see her to be honest, I think probably a smear or something but as silly as I know it sounds my anxiety over this has spiralled and I’ve been in tears this morning! Anyway you don’t need my medical history 😄thank you for replying x

I’m really struggling again :( when I had my flexible sigmoidoscopy the Doctor took a polyp out, he didn’t seem worried but sent it to be biopsied, it’s now been 10 days and I’m getting so worried about hearing back from them 😪 I asked if it was unusual to have polyps in your 20s and he said no, he also wasn’t worried it was cancer but what if he was wrong and it is?

No I think they said about 15 minutes I’m just a baby about these things and this morning reading about potential complications hasn’t helped. I tend to be a worst case scenario thinker and always imagine that the rare complication will be the one that happens to me 🤦🏻‍♀️I didn’t even suspect I had endo, I went to the dr as intercourse had become painful and before I know it they’re wanting to do the lap. I’m not sure what I was expecting when I went to see her to be honest, I think probably a smear or something but as silly as I know it sounds my anxiety over this has spiralled and I’ve been in tears this morning! Anyway you don’t need my medical history 😄thank you for replying x
I know exactly how you feel as my HA is always the extreme and life threatening! I do know three people who have had the lap and were fine but that doesn't stop your mind from panicking.

My friend who has endo does say sex is painful but it's also painful periods as well. Do you have those?

I’m really struggling again :( when I had my flexible sigmoidoscopy the Doctor took a polyp out, he didn’t seem worried but sent it to be biopsied, it’s now been 10 days and I’m getting so worried about hearing back from them 😪 I asked if it was unusual to have polyps in your 20s and he said no, he also wasn’t worried it was cancer but what if he was wrong and it is?
I would be reassured it's been so long. If they had found something, they would have been in touch a lot quicker. It's rare a polyp turns cancerous but if you were older (over 60) they would probably monitor it. My friend is over 60 and has hers monitored but so far so good.

Reactions: 1
I know exactly how you feel as my HA is always the extreme and life threatening! I do know three people who have had the lap and were fine but that doesn't stop your mind from panicking.

My friend who has endo does say sex is painful but it's also painful periods as well. Do you have those?

I would be reassured it's been so long. If they had found something, they would have been in touch a lot quicker. It's rare a polyp turns cancerous but if you were older (over 60) they would probably monitor it. My friend is over 60 and has hers monitored but so far so good.
I’d say maybe about half my periods are painful, maybe a little more. It’s usually right at the beginning and admittedly sometimes it has me in tears but that’s more when it wakes me up in the night but I do find I can’t focus on anything but the pain and need pain. Once they kick in though I’m fine, whereas I used to work with a woman who would be off work and told me for days she’d just be in bed crying unable to do anything. Mine are nothing like that. I’ve talked to my husband today about what to do and while supportive he says it’s my decision. I’ve got a few more days to think about it so will no doubt have some sleepless nights!

I’d say maybe about half my periods are painful, maybe a little more. It’s usually right at the beginning and admittedly sometimes it has me in tears but that’s more when it wakes me up in the night but I do find I can’t focus on anything but the pain and need pain. Once they kick in though I’m fine, whereas I used to work with a woman who would be off work and told me for days she’d just be in bed crying unable to do anything. Mine are nothing like that. I’ve talked to my husband today about what to do and while supportive he says it’s my decision. I’ve got a few more days to think about it so will no doubt have some sleepless nights!
Are you on the pill? That can help endo. Maybe chat to your Dr again and tell him how anxious you are and if he thinks it's OK to leave the lap for a while? Unfortunately, it can cause problems conceiving so if you want children, maybe it's best to get the diagnosis and treatment? Good luck x

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.