Health Anxiety

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sadly no, he died of bowel cancer but he was in his 70's. Try not to let that freak you out. My point was they knew straightaway he had cancer. Your Dr reassured you, the Nurse reassured you, they showed you the polyp. I really wouldn't worry.

My HA is odd in that once i receive reassurance, I'm OK. Although i do then move on to another health problem to obsess over!
Oh no I’m sorry to hear that ☹ I’ve always been like this but it got a lot worse in 2018 when my grandad went into hospital for something fairly straightforward and they told us he had cancer everywhere 😪💔 he was in his 80s but I was devastated. I’m exactly the same, today I’m worried I can feel a lump in my underarm but I know it’s not a lump

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Oh no I’m sorry to hear that ☹ I’ve always been like this but it got a lot worse in 2018 when my grandad went into hospital for something fairly straightforward and they told us he had cancer everywhere 😪💔 he was in his 80s but I was devastated. I’m exactly the same, today I’m worried I can feel a lump in my underarm but I know it’s not a lump
I know what you mean as my Dad died after an operation so now I'm scared of ever needing an operation (never had the fear before). Actually my Dad had HA and I'm sure it's hereditary.

It's good you know it's not a lump. That's what you need to do, rationalise it. Although easier said than done. I get a lump in my underarm but it's often from shaving.

My mother in law actually saw her tumour (it was huge) during a colonoscopy. They didn't tell her then but they rushed her for a ct scan etc and then she was told pretty quickly. She's 3 years clear of cancer now. The fact you haven't heard anything is positive.

• Heart
My mother in law actually saw her tumour (it was huge) during a colonoscopy. They didn't tell her then but they rushed her for a ct scan etc and then she was told pretty quickly. She's 3 years clear of cancer now. The fact you haven't heard anything is positive.
That’s good news she’s clear now! I kind of saw the polyp on the screen, I didn’t look too much as I was scared of what I’d see 🥺 but it looked like roundish and fleshy coloured and not irregular or black or anything but I can’t be sure my memory is correct, wasn’t sedated but was in such a state my mind just shuts down

That’s good news she’s clear now! I kind of saw the polyp on the screen, I didn’t look too much as I was scared of what I’d see 🥺 but it looked like roundish and not irregular or black or anything
Because of family history my husband had to have screening and they found a polyp. He was told it was ok and we've not heard anything else. If you've been told its nothing to worry about you have to accept that's it. It's hard with health anxiety because we need constant reassurance but that isn't helpful in the long run.

Reactions: 3
Because of family history my husband had to have screening and they found a polyp. He was told it was ok and we've not heard anything else. If you've been told its nothing to worry about you have to accept that's it. It's hard with health anxiety because we need constant reassurance but that isn't helpful in the long run.
Did he get told there and then it was nothing to worry about or was it after biopsy? I know I know I’m seeing my counsellor again on Tuesday for some perspective ☹

I'm sure it was at the time because he told me when he got back. I can't remember waiting for test results. But I have known a lot of people who had investigations for cancer and the Dr's don't hang around. You get sent for all sorts of tests. Last year we had a scare with one of my children who developed a bony growth on her knee, they sent us for urgent x rays as they were concerned it was cancer. Took ages to get the results back but the longer it took the more reassured I was

Mine is awful lately. My brain flips from one thing to another, constantly. I can't enjoy life until the "symptom" goes away or i get reassurance from a doctor. Which i can't do every single time otherwise they just won't believe me anymore.
Through lock down alone i've convinced myself i've had multiple cancers and motor neurone disease.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Mine is awful lately. My brain flips from one thing to another, constantly. I can't enjoy life until the "symptom" goes away or i get reassurance from a doctor. Which i can't do every single time otherwise they just won't believe me anymore.
Through lock down alone i've convinced myself i've had multiple cancers and motor neurone disease.
Do you have things you do for distraction? I know it doesn’t always work but things I do is walking the dogs, yoga and journalling.
If you have soundcloud check out this link. I find it incredibly relaxing when I’m starting to unravel

So glad I found this thread! I’m 25 and have suffered with HA for a few years. No idea what started it but it’s now bothering me everyday. I work in a cancer centre so not sure if that is helping. I constantly think something bad is going to happen to me or family; cancer, car accidents & choking are a few of the main ones I worry about. It takes over my everyday life and I worry if someone hasn’t replied to my texts or picked up my calls in case there is something wrong with them. My fiancé wants to try for a baby but I’m so worried my anxiety won’t cope with a newborn. (He doesn’t know the severity of my anxiety). Do I go to my GP? Do they really help.. 😰

• Heart
So glad I found this thread! I’m 25 and have suffered with HA for a few years. No idea what started it but it’s now bothering me everyday. I work in a cancer centre so not sure if that is helping. I constantly think something bad is going to happen to me or family; cancer, car accidents & choking are a few of the main ones I worry about. It takes over my everyday life and I worry if someone hasn’t replied to my texts or picked up my calls in case there is something wrong with them. My fiancé wants to try for a baby but I’m so worried my anxiety won’t cope with a newborn. (He doesn’t know the severity of my anxiety). Do I go to my GP? Do they really help.. 😰
Yes please talk to a professional, what you are experiencing must be awful. You may need some counselling or something like CBT but I think it’s definitely worth getting some help and a Dr would take this very seriously as it’s having such an enormous impact on your life.

Yes please talk to a professional, what you are experiencing must be awful. You may need some counselling or something like CBT but I think it’s definitely worth getting some help and a Dr would take this very seriously as it’s having such an enormous impact on your life.
Thank you. It has got particularly bad recently! 😪 I will start thinking seriously about seeing GP. Probably not the best timing right now!!

Thank you. It has got particularly bad recently! 😪 I will start thinking seriously about seeing GP. Probably not the best timing right now!!
If anything, they’re more sensitive to mental health issues now I’ve found! I’d also ask yourself if the increase in anxiety is linked to lockdown and indeed the thoughts of having a baby..I find although I get genuinely anxious about health things, sometimes it’s masking a bigger problem and your mind is trying to lure you to a ‘safe space’ of thinking patterns you’ve got used to eg worrying about health rather than worrying about other things like having a baby. I’m also 25 so I know how you feel! I’ve started thinking about the baby thing and my anxiety is bad again 🥺 hope this helps x

For a long time I thought I was the only person in the world to suffer with this dreaded type of anxiety 😅 Mine started when I was 16, I’d just had my daughter and anything such as a small scratch / heat rash would set me off and I’d be thinking it was a sign of a serious illness. I would spend hours googling and it just took over my life. Over time I got better but since I’ve had my little boy 10 months ago (I’ve noticed it gets worse post partum) and ending up in intensive care two weeks after his birth due to a blood clot, my health anxiety is the worst it’s ever been. I cry on a regular basis thinking I’m going to die, I imagine symptoms and if someone tells me they have chest pains, five minutes later I’ll have chest pains. It’s honestly taking over my life and it’s honestly so debilitating. I’m about to start CBT as I’m struggling majorly and I hope this will work as I don’t want to go down the medication route 😭

• Sad
For a long time I thought I was the only person in the world to suffer with this dreaded type of anxiety 😅 Mine started when I was 16, I’d just had my daughter and anything such as a small scratch / heat rash would set me off and I’d be thinking it was a sign of a serious illness. I would spend hours googling and it just took over my life. Over time I got better but since I’ve had my little boy 10 months ago (I’ve noticed it gets worse post partum) and ending up in intensive care two weeks after his birth due to a blood clot, my health anxiety is the worst it’s ever been. I cry on a regular basis thinking I’m going to die, I imagine symptoms and if someone tells me they have chest pains, five minutes later I’ll have chest pains. It’s honestly taking over my life and it’s honestly so debilitating. I’m about to start CBT as I’m struggling majorly and I hope this will work as I don’t want to go down the medication route 😭
I was very ill after the birth of my second child and my health anxiety got worse as I was obsessed I had nearly died then was obsessed with any ache or pain thinking I had some serious illness.

You are not alone. It’s amazing the more you open up about health anxiety the more people you learn have the same thoughts etc. I kept mine secret for years and years. Even when I opened up a lot of friends/family would laugh and think I was been stupid but I found it easier to talk about it online where people are happy to open up about it.

• Heart
I was very ill after the birth of my second child and my health anxiety got worse as I was obsessed I had nearly died then was obsessed with any ache or pain thinking I had some serious illness.

You are not alone. It’s amazing the more you open up about health anxiety the more people you learn have the same thoughts etc. I kept mine secret for years and years. Even when I opened up a lot of friends/family would laugh and think I was been stupid but I found it easier to talk about it online where people are happy to open up about it.
I think it’s really hard for people who don’t have this to be able to relate. Every time I ask for reassurance about a symptom I’m always met with “not again” which really doesn’t help when your in that state of mind!

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I think it’s really hard for people who don’t have this to be able to relate. Every time I ask for reassurance about a symptom I’m always met with “not again” which really doesn’t help when your in that state of mind!
I know, it’s awful isn’t it? I have one good friend who although not totally sympathetic she can help me through my thoughts ensuring me I’m not about to die! But I do get the impression she’s sometimes sick of me! My husband has no sympathy whatsoever ☹ But my friend said it’s because he’s probably worried I’ve got the illness I’m obsessing over.

I have learnt to rationalise my thoughts but sometimes the anxiety wins out. I find my anxiety is worse if I haven’t slept well or if I’ve eaten a lot of junk food or go too long between eating. Or even if I spend too long on my own.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I know, it’s awful isn’t it? I have one good friend who although not totally sympathetic she can help me through my thoughts ensuring me I’m not about to die! But I do get the impression she’s sometimes sick of me! My husband has no sympathy whatsoever ☹ But my friend said it’s because he’s probably worried I’ve got the illness I’m obsessing over.

I have learnt to rationalise my thoughts but sometimes the anxiety wins out. I find my anxiety is worse if I haven’t slept well or if I’ve eaten a lot of junk food or go too long between eating. Or even if I spend too long on my own.
It really is and I still don’t think it’s fully understood by medical professionals! The last time I went to the Doctors about it she just straight away offered me anti depressants. Unfortunately anti depressants don’t cure your health anxiety, I just felt completely fobbed off.
I’m exactly the same as you, in the back of my mind I know I’m being silly but the what if’s are always there. It’s tough and I wish there was a magic cure for it 😅

Reactions: 2
It really is and I still don’t think it’s fully understood by medical professionals! The last time I went to the Doctors about it she just straight away offered me anti depressants. Unfortunately anti depressants don’t cure your health anxiety, I just felt completely fobbed off.
I’m exactly the same as you, in the back of my mind I know I’m being silly but the what if’s are always there. It’s tough and I wish there was a magic cure for it 😅
Definitely, the anti depressants gave me another thing to worry about as I was scared of getting dependant on them.

It's also a recognised form of OCD, there are some great sites out there that can help. Dr Schwartz is a harvard professor who has been an expert in his field for at least 3 decades.
He has written some great books that give fantastic advice too.
Also his website hope4ocd is most definitely worth a read, it is excellent and gives you the tools you need to deal with ODC
You can and will change this type of health obsession.
Virtual hug :)
I was diagnosed with OCD - specifically around health and harm - after the birth of my 2nd child. I can really empathise and attest to how debilitating this type of anxiety can be. The good news is that it’s really treatable, with the right therapy. OCD action and specific OCD charities are the best place to go (and GP of course). I have had bouts of OCD relating to health since being a child - I’m now 42 and have finally cracked it ! Good luck - it will get better x

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.