Health Anxiety #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Really tried to resist checking but I did now im freaked out…

possibly where my thyroid is I can feel two knobbly bony bits either side of my throat. One feels slightly harder than the other 😪 does anyone else have this?? I’ve looked in the mirror and swallowed and can’t see a visible lump or anything, and if I wasn’t paying attention I wouldn’t necessarily think it was harder.

omg and for about two weeks a few weeks ago I had on off globus sensation in my throat 😰

putting 2+2 together and getting 5 because my hair is growing straight now not curly and I remember google saying hair changes can be a thyroid issue 😪😪 I think I have thyroid cancer

also Monday I had some very slightly brown discharge again, so slight I couldn’t for definite say it was brown. My period is due but nothing yet but maybe this is spotting due to either gynaecological cancer or thyroid cancer now 😪 or I’m pregnant after minimal genital contact last month even though I’ve already had a period after that.

Really really trying to put all this behind me but things just keep coming back to test me…the dentist telling me he felt something in my salivary gland triggered all this now im nervous, anxious and paranoid all over again
Honestly. You don’t have thyroid cancer. Or any other cancer. there doesn’t sound like there’s anything to worry about here- you can feel your thyroid cartilage in your neck - it feels knobbly and bumpy.
the very slight spotting is probably your period about to start. Again, very common and absolutely nothing to worry about.

have you ever had any professional help in dealing with your health anxiety?

Reactions: 2
Honestly. You don’t have thyroid cancer. Or any other cancer. there doesn’t sound like there’s anything to worry about here- you can feel your thyroid cartilage in your neck - it feels knobbly and bumpy.
the very slight spotting is probably your period about to start. Again, very common and absolutely nothing to worry about.

have you ever had any professional help in dealing with your health anxiety?
Today will be day 3 after the weird almost spotting, and still no period even though my boobs really hurt. the longest time I’ve had in the past between spotting and my period starting is 2 days ☹ When I was on the implant I could blame spotting on that but since I came off last year I’ve been worried every mont about getting my period, checking obsessively for spotting etc

Today will be day 3 after the weird almost spotting, and still no period even though my boobs really hurt. the longest time I’ve had in the past between spotting and my period starting is 2 days ☹ When I was on the implant I could blame spotting on that but since I came off last year I’ve been worried every mont about getting my period, checking obsessively for spotting etc
You need some help & support with your anxiety- have you had help with this before?

You need some help & support with your anxiety- have you had help with this before?
Last week I also had a strange pelvic pain for a day or so, and over the weekend had twinges between the lower left of my vagina and anus ☹ Seems to have gone now but I was checking for blood when I went to the toilet over the weekend incase the pain was either a uti, vaginal stuff or bowel stuff but I didn’t see any, then I only had a few twinges on Monday and that’s when I checked and found almost brown discharge but I don’t know if it was related ☹ I also checked on Saturday night and nothing.
Yeah counselling since 2014

Has anyone here ever had costochondritis and if so how long has it lasted?
I started getting a tender/swollen pain feeling on my right breast and underarm and my right arm will sometimes ache on and off too. This started mid September and I went to the doctor early October and she done a breast exam and took bloods and told me it doesn’t seem to be anything sinister. The tender/swollen feeling continued on not feeling like it’s going away so I made another appointment with a different dr at my practice which I had end of October she also gave me a breast exam and felt my shoulder/underarm and said it will likely be costochondritis. I have to go back again end of November if the pain continues to feel like this (which it does so far) and its really getting on my nerves that it’s not going away! 😣

Has anyone here ever had costochondritis and if so how long has it lasted?
I started getting a tender/swollen pain feeling on my right breast and underarm and my right arm will sometimes ache on and off too. This started mid September and I went to the doctor early October and she done a breast exam and took bloods and told me it doesn’t seem to be anything sinister. The tender/swollen feeling continued on not feeling like it’s going away so I made another appointment with a different dr at my practice which I had end of October she also gave me a breast exam and felt my shoulder/underarm and said it will likely be costochondritis. I have to go back again end of November if the pain continues to feel like this (which it does so far) and its really getting on my nerves that it’s not going away! 😣
I've had it a few times and it's taken months and months to go. I think it's entirely dependent on the person and the cause, but I definitely wouldn't be alarmed if it's still lingering after a few weeks. It can relapse too and pop back when you least expect it! It's a difficult place because you can't easily rest those muscles so it probably takes longer to shift than your average muscle pain.

Reactions: 2
I've had it a few times and it's taken months and months to go. I think it's entirely dependent on the person and the cause, but I definitely wouldn't be alarmed if it's still lingering after a few weeks. It can relapse too and pop back when you least expect it! It's a difficult place because you can't easily rest those muscles so it probably takes longer to shift than your average muscle pain.
Thank you! Yeah it really freaked me out at first too because of it being in the breast area your mind just thinks the worst. I have a 6 month old and do find it can be worse after carrying the car seat or heavy bags of shopping around.

Hey, I’ve never posted here before but thought it would be a good chance to say out loud my current worries!
I’ve never been a ill person I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I’ve had to go to the doctors for myself and majority of it being mental health.
A few days across I discovered a lump on my neck, then today I found another lump nearby the first larger lump! At first I tried to not stress because I know it’s often just a swollen lymph node due to body fighting of a virus but everyone else around me is causing me panic and encouraging me to go the GP.
I’ll be honest, I don’t want to go because I just don’t want to know. Im scared of hearing bad news, I’m scared of having to have tests, I’m scared to potentially have to go to the hospital ( only ever been for labour)

I've had little lumps and bumps here and there. I always think, it's my health anxiety kicking in. I worry too much about little things like that. It likely is health anxiety. You should always go to the doctor's if you are unsure. Even just a phone appointment will help.

In some ways, even though my hypochondria is not ideal, it's actually made me way more aware of my body and what feels right and doesn't. Sometimes it's not great because I will be calling the doctor immediately if things aren't right. Just try to relax and take your mind away from it this evening, then tomorrow see if things are the same and give the Dr a call if you still feel worried.

Reactions: 1
Hey, I’ve never posted here before but thought it would be a good chance to say out loud my current worries!
I’ve never been a ill person I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I’ve had to go to the doctors for myself and majority of it being mental health.
A few days across I discovered a lump on my neck, then today I found another lump nearby the first larger lump! At first I tried to not stress because I know it’s often just a swollen lymph node due to body fighting of a virus but everyone else around me is causing me panic and encouraging me to go the GP.
I’ll be honest, I don’t want to go because I just don’t want to know. Im scared of hearing bad news, I’m scared of having to have tests, I’m scared to potentially have to go to the hospital ( only ever been for labour)
You need to go get checked out. Chances are, it’s nothing sinister, but you can’t just ignore these things. Lumps appearing out of no where like that can’t be ignored- even if it’s something that’s not to worry about you still need to get that peace of mind and confirmation that it’s ok.

Hi please go to the doctor! It could literally be due to a virus like you said or something else that could easily be sorted. I know how scary it is to worry about being told bad news but ignoring it won’t make it go away. Phone the doctor first thing in the morning and get yourself checked out. If it was the worst case scenario and it was something more sinister then you would have found out early and be able to get it sorted. More likely than not it will be absolutely nothing and imagine the relief when you don’t have to worry anymore Xx

Really tried to resist checking but I did now im freaked out…

possibly where my thyroid is I can feel two knobbly bony bits either side of my throat. One feels slightly harder than the other 😪 does anyone else have this?? I’ve looked in the mirror and swallowed and can’t see a visible lump or anything, and if I wasn’t paying attention I wouldn’t necessarily think it was harder.

omg and for about two weeks a few weeks ago I had on off globus sensation in my throat 😰

putting 2+2 together and getting 5 because my hair is growing straight now not curly and I remember google saying hair changes can be a thyroid issue 😪😪 I think I have thyroid cancer

also Monday I had some very slightly brown discharge again, so slight I couldn’t for definite say it was brown. My period is due but nothing yet but maybe this is spotting due to either gynaecological cancer or thyroid cancer now 😪 or I’m pregnant after minimal genital contact last month even though I’ve already had a period after that.

Really really trying to put all this behind me but things just keep coming back to test me…the dentist telling me he felt something in my salivary gland triggered all this now im nervous, anxious and paranoid all over again
Just to quote myself, it did end up being my period but last night I looked in the mirror and swallowed and there’s a lump on the right side of my throat that’s more visible when I swallow 😪 and I can feel it literally Immediately above my collarbone. Got a similar one on the other side slightly higher up but google says it could be a thyroid nodule or goitre, some kind of thyroid problem which would fit in with my previously (for 25 years) curly/wavy hair suddenly turning straight in the past year…tried to call the dr but they’ve got major technical issues with their phone lines so not a lot I can do 😪
Anyone else find you just get more fearful the older you get? I’ll never get any younger and health problems (serious and non serious) will just start rolling in the older I get 😪

Went to the drs today, saw a paramedic again (not the same one!) who said he didn’t think it was thyroid cancer but said because I’m so worried and won’t stop worrying until I get an answer he’ll refer me to ENT ☹ Also took some blood

Went to the drs today, saw a paramedic again (not the same one!) who said he didn’t think it was thyroid cancer but said because I’m so worried and won’t stop worrying until I get an answer he’ll refer me to ENT ☹ Also took some blood
Well I mean that’s a good thing - at least then you’ll know it’s nothing to worry about.

Well I mean that’s a good thing - at least then you’ll know it’s nothing to worry about.
I’ve been so upset all day 😪 struggling to rationalise. When I tip my head right back I can’t really feel the lump. It’s kind of moveable and I wouldn’t say it’s rock hard and I can potentially feel a similar one on the other side slightly higher up. It definitely doesn’t stick out if I don’t swallow while looking in the mirror (dr google said to check for thyroid lumps take a sip of water and tip your head back while looking in the mirror and swallow- this is what made me anxious in the first place, there is an actual lump there😪) the paramedic did say something about it could be a lymph gland but it doesn’t hurt at all and I’m not Ill? Which worries me even more that it’s lymphoma or thyroid lymphoma or something 😪

I asked in the drs about an appt with an actual dr about anxiety medication…I can’t ignore what this is doing to me anymore. Every relapse I struggle to cope more and more 💔

is there a chance this lump is benign and my blood test results will be fine and I haven’t got a thyroid problem and my hair suddenly going straight is just me coming off 7 years of birth control? Everywhere I look says painless neck lumps are bad news.

I’ve been so upset all day 😪 struggling to rationalise. When I tip my head right back I can’t really feel the lump. It’s kind of moveable and I wouldn’t say it’s rock hard and I can potentially feel a similar one on the other side slightly higher up. It definitely doesn’t stick out if I don’t swallow while looking in the mirror (dr google said to check for thyroid lumps take a sip of water and tip your head back while looking in the mirror and swallow- this is what made me anxious in the first place, there is an actual lump there😪) the paramedic did say something about it could be a lymph gland but it doesn’t hurt at all and I’m not Ill? Which worries me even more that it’s lymphoma or thyroid lymphoma or something 😪

I asked in the drs about an appt with an actual dr about anxiety medication…I can’t ignore what this is doing to me anymore. Every relapse I struggle to cope more and more 💔

is there a chance this lump is benign and my blood test results will be fine and I haven’t got a thyroid problem and my hair suddenly going straight is just me coming off 7 years of birth control? Everywhere I look says painless neck lumps are bad news.
I'm no medical expert but I hope you can get an appointment for anxiety medication. This sounds draining to live with so I hope they can help you xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Your main medical issue is this crippling anxiety so I’d push to be seen by an actual Dr to discuss that and try some appropriate medication to see if that can be helped.

Please stop panicking and googling stuff to
Do with your neck. Please. You’ll get sent for a scan and honestly as I’m sure you know deep down - there’s nothing wrong.

if you have a thyroid issue this can be treated and isnt the end of the world.

wasting time making yourself ill with worry over fictitious problems is pointless. Look at it this way - wether something good or something bad is discovered- you can’t control it. You worrying about it will not change anything at all - all it does is robs you of time. Stop. You are going to be FINE.

NOT A WARNING; This user has tried to offer reassurance in their last post, ignore if you disagree and move on - Please read our rules and why they're important
Your main medical issue is this crippling anxiety so I’d push to be seen by an actual Dr to discuss that and try some appropriate medication to see if that can be helped.

Please stop panicking and googling stuff to
Do with your neck. Please. You’ll get sent for a scan and honestly as I’m sure you know deep down - there’s nothing wrong.

if you have a thyroid issue this can be treated and isnt the end of the world.

wasting time making yourself ill with worry over fictitious problems is pointless. Look at it this way - wether something good or something bad is discovered- you can’t control it. You worrying about it will not change anything at all - all it does is robs you of time. Stop. You are going to be FINE.
Telling people with health anxiety to stop worrying is pointless. If our rational brains would kick in we wouldn’t be worrying anout our health.

The idea of this thread is to be supportive, clearly you don’t understand the issue and should stop making these comments. They are not helpful

hey Champagne, I think you’ve done a really brave thing by asking the doctors for an appointment for anxiety medication. Recognizing that you need that little bit of extra help is such a big step! have you ever had talking therapy or CBT? I don’t know if this will help but after my Dad died, my health anxiety went into overdrive because of his sudden death but I had bereavement counselling that then turned into talking therapy for a long while and I do feel like that’s helped me with my health anxiety and I find it easier to rationalize. Don’t get me wrong I still have moments where of course I go full stage panic, one of my biggest things I worry about is breasts and I’ve had to stop myself from checking literally all the time to just once or twice a month. Maybe some counselling would benefit you massively? It’s hard to stop yourself from looking for things to worry about, but sometimes you have to have that little bit of self restraint. Even with health anxiety, there are times when you know something is wrong and when it’s just your brain and that should help you in what you go and speak to a doctor about. Please stop googling things, it’s not a helpful tool when you’re in the state trust me - it’s just a rabbit hole

I had blood tests for my thyroid last month and it was fine in the end but when my consultant mentioned it she said it was nothing to worry about as she knew I was worried and something that is easy to deal with so try not to worry yourself silly about it 💙 Also your hair changing could be down to a number of things, my mums hair got straight suddenly when she’d always had wavy hair. I have really thick hair and there are times I think god it feels thin. Coming off contraceptive after so long is a major thing, your hormones will be all over the place trying to balance themselves out - of course there’s going to be changes! xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Totally random comment but ... I think someone else in this thread, possibly yourself Champagne, has mentioned getting medical appointments with paramedics. Is this commonplace? I've honestly never heard of this before. Any appointments I've had are always doctor, the nurse or for very particular things, the pharmacist (usually just medication reviews).

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.