Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

LuBiLu

VIP Member
I managed to get an early telephone appointment via the GP App.

My stool sample is negative, so nothing was found.

They wanted to discuss my blood test results, which shocked me as they were only taken on Monday, so they came back super quick!

My iron level is 7, so I need to take 2 iron tablets a day. Low iron is nothing new to me, and I suffer with extremely heavy periods, so it's likely linked to that.

Also my cholesterol is slightly raised, nothing majorly high but clearly I need to lower it and not let it creep up anymore. I changed my diet a month ago to eating super healthy, and I've lost weight (still need to shift another 1.5st). So hopefully that'll help and when they repeat the cholesterol test in 3 months it'll be normal range 🤞

• Heart
Reactions: 11

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
Sorry but I can’t get on board with this comment.

Sadly lots of people DO get a stage 4 cancer diagnosis completely out of the blue; no other health issues, outwardly completely healthy, no “rare genetic” conditions or other “medical conditions” that “caused” it….. (and just to be very clear, no one does anything to cause cancer. You don’t bring cancer on yourself)

Your post is the exact reason we ALL need to be openly discussing cancer. Talking about it isn’t going to make it happen to you.

I’m usually really keen to be supportive of you guys on this thread but this kind of stuff is just not cool.
I can see why you think this isn’t cool but
I always get the impression you have never suffered with health anxiety? If you haven’t then it’s very hard to understand how an anxious mind works.

Personally I stay well clear of anyone raising awareness of cancer on social media as it just triggers my health anxiety. Luckily for the people raising awareness they have people like you to support them and spread the message.

Reactions: 11

miamae

Spent so long checking last night my boobs are so sore and you can see where I’ve been poking at them, it’s all red 😪 and the lumpy bits are now quite hard and sore 😰 but what if they’re hard now bc they’re actually bad??
I went through a stage of checking profusely and I ended up making my lymph nodes really really sore. Are you near your period at all? As if you are, your boobs can tend to feel more lumpy due to the hormones, etc. Try and have a few days of no checking (hard, I know) and then if your still worried then contact your GP. I’m sure you are absolutely fine though x

Hi everyone, I hope you’re all doing ok. I am going through one of the hardest points at the moment and my HA is flaring up as a result.

I went for my pregnancy scan on Friday to be told that it’s twins (feel awful for saying this, but my worst nightmare) and that they are a rare form of twins (Momo twins) and share a sac and placenta and the risks associated with it I just can’t deal with so I have made the decision to have a termination. I have a telephone consultation booked next Weds and then I can go from there. I’m not even 6 weeks yet and my scan on Friday couldn’t find any heartbeats yet but I feel so terrified of the actual abortion and scared I am going to bleed to death or something 😭 I am honestly struggling to cope and feel like I am going to have a mental breakdown.

• Sad
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 9

kadykal95

Chatty Member
What would you all do in my situation? I’ve felt around with multiple fingers, one finger, hand on hip, hand in the air, bent over, looked in the mirror, and I am 90% sure I can’t see or feel any thickening or ‘scraggly bit’ where she said. I pointed out a different lump that I can actually feel and she said she couldnt feel anything? But she can feel this scraggly bit that I can’t?? It almost felt like she was just saying she could feel something to justify referring me. She did basically say they refer you if you think somethings changed, but literally what is the point in even going there if they’ll just refer you anyway?? I can’t feel anything with fairly deep pressure, and obvs not wearing any gloves like she was.

I have a weird flattish grooved lump underneath, but I can barely feel it now my period is here and it was rock hard the other day where I was poking and prodding but it’s gone down now, and I can feel a smaller but similar lump in the same place on my other boob.

So, would you:
Trust yourself that they’re your boobs, not hers, and trust yourself?
now I’ve been referred, just wait for that?
call the doctors and ask for a second opinion?
Call the drs and complain/tell them my concerns about my appt?

maybe I was stupid to think because she’s a woman she’d understand and be more sympathetic 😪 literally didn’t even get a ‘dont worry’ at any point through the appt
I just read some of your posts and I can tell your in pain right now. I've been here many, many times before. My mum died of breast cancer young and it's a constant concern for me. I've let myself get into a dark place and trust me I might as well of had cancer the amount of worrying I was doing. It was ruining my life.

You are being referred to the breast clinic, so all you need to do now is keep it together, be logical, don't let yourself spiral into a dark place. Write down all your concerns so when you go you can get them to check everything. Stop checking your breasts until you go, try to keep busy and take your mind off it. I know it's hard but you need to live that life you're so terrified of losing.

• Heart

mcfeez

VIP Member
Totally agree with you here @BettyCrockerr
Thanks for wording it a lot better than I would have been able to!! It’s soooo uncomfortable to read that someone could have an underlying issue that would cause their cancer. No one EVER causes cancer, victim blaming someone for an illness they have no control over is insane. I would have thought posters on a health anxiety page would get that. I know no one likes to read about cancer online (I personally mute those kinda posts as they trigger me) but I would never say someone with an advanced cancer diagnosis has done something to cause their illness
The other user was not victim blaming remotely and its incredibly obvious they were not - I think you are very much overreaching.

It was obvious to me that she was pointing out how many news outlets or posts online run with the attention grabbing "Man in 20s diagnosed with XYZ" but fail to mention any important details which actually are the case i.e. if the person had conditions that made them higher risk for certain diagnoses, if they have a familial history of it. I personally find it distasteful when the media in particular does what it always does and seeks to scaremonger instead.

Some of the comments here are not empathetic at all with people suffering severe health anxiety and blatantly do not understand how someone with anxiety may react to things.

Last edited:

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
No need for the sarcasm. My question was actually legitimate. I was wondering if the OP was concerned that there would still be issues off the back of it/why.
I think the problem is you’re clearly not an anxiety sufferer, so sometimes your responses come across as a bit blunt/harsh but I’m sure you don’t mean it that way but it’s hard to understand anxiety if you don’t suffer from it yourself. ✌

Reactions: 8

EvonyRose

Hello all,

New to Tattle, and just thought I'd say hello.

I, too am a health anxiety-er and although I'm managing it pretty well now, had a right old time of it a few years back.

If I can share one thing I've learned about Health Anxiety, it's that by the time I'm at body triggers (weird pains, spasms) or intrusive thoughts, it is time to stop worrying about managing my thoughts and just start caring for my body physically.

I don't know if that will be helpful for anyone else, but either way, anxiety takes it's toll and looking after yourself feels productive so can help ease the tight feeling.

Happy to chat with anyone who is having a challenging day.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

BettyCrockerr

VIP Member
Not at all, I feel exactly the same even about body positivity! i just want to see conventially beautiful people on my insta 😅
and what bugs me is the way they present their cancer journey, which is of course very sad, but neglect to tell you they had a rare genetic condition that caused it or like a medical condition that caused it. I’ve noticed some of them tend to present as they were absolutely fine then one day BAM stage 4… when the truth is different. I get they want to raise awareness but fgs we don’t want to see the ins and outs!
Sorry but I can’t get on board with this comment.

Sadly lots of people DO get a stage 4 cancer diagnosis completely out of the blue; no other health issues, outwardly completely healthy, no “rare genetic” conditions or other “medical conditions” that “caused” it….. (and just to be very clear, no one does anything to cause cancer. You don’t bring cancer on yourself)

Your post is the exact reason we ALL need to be openly discussing cancer. Talking about it isn’t going to make it happen to you.

I’m usually really keen to be supportive of you guys on this thread but this kind of stuff is just not cool.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Dak1988

Chatty Member
Would any of you be concerned if you had a tiny bit of brown discharge then nothing until you started your period two days later?
No I get this most months! A bit of spotting a couple of days before and then it starts after that. I don’t know why but I have always had it xx

mcfeez

VIP Member
I can see why you think this isn’t cool but
I always get the impression you have never suffered with health anxiety? If you haven’t then it’s very hard to understand how an anxious mind works.

Personally I stay well clear of anyone raising awareness of cancer on social media as it just triggers my health anxiety. Luckily for the people raising awareness they have people like you to support them and spread the message.
Total agreement.

Mine has been so severe in the past I couldn't even watch any medical based TV shows as it would make me feel dreadful, nevermind posts online which were awful for me. I'm in a much better place the last year or so but completely empathise with people who still get triggered by those posts becaue I know all to well the absolute dread and anxiety that fills you at seeing one.

Jewel88

Is anyone elses health anxiety mainly around other people's health rather than their own? I constantly feel dread and on edge that something is wrong with my family or that something is going to happen to one of them. I think it's the fast that I can't feel their symptoms and worry about every little symptom they have it's horrible. I wake up in the morning and feel panicky and have to check they are all ok before I can enjoy my day

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
@ChampagneBox take it from me who has struggled with health anxiety for years and years that seeking reassurance constantly is not helping you. You are probably using this thread like a crutch and wanting others with anxiety to reassure you? This thread reminds me of No More Panic that I always sought for reassurance..I know it's hard but you've got to find coping mechanisms and learn to rationalise your fears.

I'm no expert but I've always found keeping busy, eating a good diet (junk food makes my anxiety worse), getting 8 hrs sleep (being tired makes my anxiety worse) and exercising can help. I'm not into exercise but I do like walking and find that even if I'm in the midst of an anxiety attack if I start walking I feel better. Sitting with your own thoughts is a no no. When you feel yourself wanting to seek reassurance by googling etc then just get up and distract yourself by doing something to keep you busy.

I know this won't go down well with some on here as I've posted something similar before but I just know where I went wrong and that was constantly seeking reassurance.

Try and enjoy your birthday.

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
So I’ve just got my results from the thyroid test in the post, my TSH is 2.5… which they’re saying is normal but I’m seeing online that 2.5 is like an upper limit? Can anyone who knows more about thyroid stuff explain what this means?
I've googled myself and I can see what you mean as even the thryroid association says some feel a level of 2.5 should be treated but as I told you before, it's quite hard to get an initial diagnosis from the thyroid tests and so if you're really that worried then just keep asking for another test say in 6 months time. But in the meantime be assured that Dr's say 2.5 is a normal level. The upper limit is 4.5 and you're nowhere near that so stop worrying.

Did you start the AD's?

Although I have health anxiety I'm the opposite to you as once a Dr tells me all OK then I believe them and feel immense relief. Of course I then just latch onto another health issue to obsess over! But as I've said, I'm going through a good patch at the moment due to eating healthily and walking over 10k steps a day. Hopefully if you stick to the AD's you will get to a good patch.

• Heart

BettyCrockerr

VIP Member
I won’t have a smear test because I worry it will come back and say I have cancer 😶 I know it’s so stupid, I have made several appointments and cancelled but I am going to finally make one for next week.

And I constantly worry about ovarian cancer even though nobody in my family has ever had it. it’s so draining sometimes and I feel selfish because people have genuine health problems.
Smear testing is NOT a test to see if you have cancer. It is a screening test to check the health of the cells on the cervix. You would never go for a smear and then get a letter saying “you have cancer” - ever.

Reactions: 6

lozzapaloozza

VIP Member
This thread is not what it used to be 💔

I hope your hospital appointment goes well tomorrow @ChampagneBox, i’ll be thinking of you xxx
I’ll be thinking of you @ChampagneBox ❤ Let us know how everything goes! Those of us that know you know full well you’ve not done anything wrong and know exactly what you meant. Please don’t let anyone make you feel like you can’t post here as I know how important this thread is to you when you’re worried Xxx

Last edited:
  • Heart

miamae

@ChampagneBox i hope you’re ok lovely. I know how you feel with the constant worry. I just want to echo what others say, every time you think that ‘this is it’ this is just the health anxiety talking. You have to think that you have done an AMAZINGLY brave thing by going to the doctors and getting help as soon as you noticed something (which im sure you will be absolutely fine!!). I read a study a while back which said that people with health anxiety are more likely to live longer lives due to being so in tune and aware of our bodies that we would go and seek medical help much more quicker compared to other people. I guess that’s one good thing that we have going for us health anxiety sufferers! Let me know how you get on lovely X

• Heart

ChampagneBox

VIP Member
Hi everyone,

so had consultation and ultrasound in one, nothing sinister to be seen, just fibrocystic boobs.

She did say she could feel a lymph node just in front of my armpit but wasn’t worried at all, she said it should feel like a bean and we only worry when it feels like a cherry. it worries me a bit she could feel a lymph node there bc now I’m feeling my armpits and stuff for others but she wasn’t worried.

they were all really kind in there, she couldn’t feel what the paramedic could feel, and said the dimply bit was probs a stretch mark, but nothing seen on ultrasound 🙂

so all in all I think it’s okay, just trying not to get caught up on the lymph node thing.

Thanks for everyone’s support over the last two weeks ❤

• Heart

jackolantern

VIP Member
Just curious to know, do they wait until they have the results before making a follow up results appointment or do they just make one as routine whether the results are back or not? If it was something serious do you think I’d be having an appt on like Monday instead of Wednesday? Just got my letter confirming the appt, looks like because of COVID they’re doing phone appts where they can so I guess it could still be bad news ☹ She didn’t say on the phone that I needed to make sure I had someone with me or anything, do you think they’d say that if it was bad even for a phone appt?
The reality is nothing any of us say will make you feel better. None of us think there is anything wrong with you, but only hearing that from the doctor will be enough. As everyone has said so many times, it's highly unlikely there is anything wrong and even if there was, thyroid cancer is extremely treatable in the extremely vast majority of cases. Unfortunately you are going to just have to wait till you get your results and do your very best to occupy your mind in the meantime. Receptionists will never tell you anything, they would lose their job if they did, so don't waste any time reading into that.