Have you ever known someone who went missing or was murdered?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is late but I have quite a few but they arent so much victims but the perpetrators...

my grandma knew (and I use that word lightly) Peter sutcliffe and they were in a photo together once. she doesn't have the photo so I wonder if its still around or where it is/who has it. She died not that long ago but she was a pretty crappy person and just the type to sympathise with a women hating killer unfortunately

Theres another serial killer in Australia, "claremont serial killer," who I have a family connection to.

the last one isn't a murder but its a family "secret"/mystery surrounding the possibility that my grandad may have indirectly caused/helped the Great Train Robbery of 1963. He died recently as well - also pretty horrible person

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
I wwnt school with someone who killed his child.

Near where my parents live, there's a family whose son was murdered.

There's a pub near me. A man punched another which killed him.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
I didn't know them but a girl was murdered across the road from me in a horrific way, Mary-Ann Leneghan, it stuck in my mind becasue it was so horrible and I was so close to the location. When I met my now husband it turned out she was known to his family (i'm being vague so as not to give myself away). Very sad and she was only a teenager.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Not in this country, but my husbands Aunty was murdered by her granddaughter. Granddaughter was on drugs and beat her to death with the leg of a dining table, her head was pretty much caved in. It's was my husbands Mum's sister, and she was made to identify her while she was still laying at the crime scene. She's been an alcoholic ever since.

I didn't know him, but I live about 2 minutes away from where Mike Samwell was murdered when thieves were stealing his car. He heard something in the night and went out, the thieves deliberately ran him over. His wife was apparently screaming like mad for help, he had tyre marks over his chest. He died not long after and the killers were convicted of murder. I am so glad the prosecutors pushed for murder rather than manslaughter.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
When I was at uni I was working part time in a supermarket and a guy that I worked with went missing while travelling in Spain. The car he had hired was found parked by some cliffs beside the sea.
He was a nice guy. I often wonder what happened to him. Was it a suicide, an accident, did someone else end his life or did he just decide to disappear? Is it possible (though unlikely) that he's still out there somewhere?
His family never got over it. His father was involved in a traffic accident in which someone was killed and his mother passed away a couple of years later. She was only in her sixties, but just lost the will to live.

• Sad
Reactions: 16
A colleague of mine got murdered by her boyfriend. We all felt enormous guilt after it happened because we all knew he was abusing her, she would come in to work with bruises and split lips, and even though we'd try and help and tell her to leave him we all kind of just accepted it. The sad thing was she had finally built up the courage to leave him about 3 months before it happened. One day she just didn't turn up for a shift and it turned out he'd finally killed her. I was the first person to find out as a friend from out of work called me to tell me at like 6am while I was getting ready for work. So I had to go in to work and break the news to everyone. I'll never forget that day 😥

And on a side note, maybe I am naive but I absolutely can not believe how many of us know people who have been murdered 😥 When it happened to my friend it absolutely consumed my life for a good few months. Its impossible to think this happens almost daily.

• Sad
Reactions: 28
Are jurors offered councillors or anyone to speak to afterwards if they are forced to view horrific details/evidence? That would be my worst nightmare if it was a murder/rape or a child case.
Short answer: no. A close relative of mine was on a jury for a brutal murder of a child. All they were told was that they would never be called up again.

That turned out to be bollocks as same relative got called up *again* but refused to do it in on the basis they had sat through the above horrific case.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I didn't know them but a girl was murdered across the road from me in a horrific way, Mary-Ann Leneghan, it stuck in my mind becasue it was so horrible and I was so close to the location. When I met my now husband it turned out she was known to his family (i'm being vague so as not to give myself away). Very sad and she was only a teenager.
I’d not heard about her murder but I do recognise her picture....absolutely horrific what happened to her and her friend.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
When I was in Primary school my brother's friend was murdered along with his brother and their mum. The mum's boyfriend killed the three of them, wrapped them in barbed wire and sheets and buried them under their house. The kids would have been about 8 and 9 years old, same age as me and my brother. Traumatised the entire school, as far as I know the perpetrator died in jail.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
When I was at school our teachers one day told us all to be really careful and and not to leave the school grounds unless with someone we trusted, because one of the older students had been attacked and killed. It was Billie Jo Jenkins.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
A couple of people posted about Lisa Dorrian, just seen police have resumed the search for her remains after 16 years.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
My sister’s best friend’s grandma was killed in her own house by a random psychopath. Keeping it vague, sorry!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
I went to the same school as Sian O'Callaghan, who went missing after a night out in Swindon, her body was found 2 weeks later.

I served her killer (Christopher Halliwell) when i worked in a pub. He knew one of my colleagues and would say to us girls "make sure you get home safe"

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 32
Two children I hung around with back in the 70s were murdered The original "Babes in the wood" lots of mistakes around the case trying to say they had wandered off and died of exposure and wildlife had taken Susan's underwear off.

I remember the police coming door to door when they went missing. Always seemed so surreal. The murderer was not known until 30 years later when he was telling a cellmate about Gary and Susan while inside for another child's murder.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I went to the same school as Sian O'Callaghan, who went missing after a night out in Swindon, her body was found 2 weeks later.

I served her killer (Christopher Halliwell) when i worked in a pub. He knew one of my colleagues and would say to us girls "make sure you get home safe"
Lurker here. Did Chris seem creepy at the time to you all, or was he a normal local guy that set off no radars? I have followed the story quite a bit and think it's terrible how she was drunk and thought she was in the safe hands of a taxi driver to get home, but was being driven further and further away from her home to some woods/countryside and killed. Poor girl, she was my age when she died and my heart goes out to her. Her poor boyfriend was interrogated first by police as usually they are most likely to be the culprit. I think Steve Fulcher deserves a knighthood, quite honestly, for his hard work in the case and even losing his job just to bring justice to two mothers.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
My next door neighbour was murdered at home in March. So sad as we’re only a small close.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Lurker here. Did Chris seem creepy at the time to you all, or was he a normal local guy that set off no radars? I have followed the story quite a bit and think it's terrible how she was drunk and thought she was in the safe hands of a taxi driver to get home, but was being driven further and further away from her home to some woods/countryside and killed. Poor girl, she was my age when she died and my heart goes out to her. Her poor boyfriend was interrogated first by police as usually they are most likely to be the culprit. I think Steve Fulcher deserves a knighthood, quite honestly, for his hard work in the case and even losing his job just to bring justice to two mothers.
I wouldn't say creepy but there was something that seemed "off" about him. My partner had a few beers with him a couple of weeks before it all happened, he didn't suspect a thing. Sian grew up a few streets away from me, i remember her more as a child wearing her brownies uniform its just so sad. She knew Chris Halliwell (i think through his daughter) so maybe that's why she felt safe with him.
The way Steve Fulcher was treated was disgusting, and i really feel for Beckys mum. I used to see her campaigning for justice for Becky outside local supermarkets quite frequently.
Awful man and i hope he rots.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
Two people, I was close to.

One was a Student nurse and friend of mine who was shot dead by an Ex Boyfriend who I also knew, and who was a Consultant Anaesthetist at the hospital we all worked at, and also ex-SAS. He shot her with a Kalashnikov.

The other is a girl I've known for years through my music. The case is still ongoing as she was murdered late last year in Leeds. That's still quite raw, and again I know the murderer, but am also a witness in the case, as I intervened in an altercation between the two a week before he killed her.
Update:

The killer of the girl who I know through my music has recently been convicted, but deemed to be suffering with a mental disorder at the time of the offence, therefore leading to the sentence being placed on a Sec 37/41 in a Medium Secure Forensic facility. The sentence is tit as I know him well enough to know how much of a bleep he actually is, and am trained enough to know that said bleep didn't suffer with a mental disorder that would have led to a lack of insight into his crime.

I also know that I am the Psychology cover for the Acute Psychiatric Inpatient Service once a week, which is based 10 yards across from where he's been placed.

• Sad
Reactions: 12