Have you ever known someone who went missing or was murdered?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Approaching 30 years ago now I worked in a huge office where it was not uncommon for couples to work (in separate departments). The woman started an affair with a guy with a limp who also worked there. One night at home an argument ensued with the couple, the husband picked up a knife and stabbed her resulting in her death. It could a bit surreal because after his sentence he sent a letter to the workplace which was basically sent round the departments (like postcards used to be) with him talking about his remorse for his actions.

I also had a girl who was in my class at Primary school who stayed near me...she had a brother a few years younger and as kids we would occasionally play football together. I had moved away in the last year of secondary school and started work when I read that the brother who was 16 at the time had got off a bus with his girlfriend and stepped in front of an older woman who was getting hassle off a teenager. This resulted in him sadly being stabbed once straight through the heart dying near enough instantly.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
A girl in my year at school went home during our GCSE period and found her mum stabbed to death on the stairs. They always thought it was her mums brother but he was found not guilty and they never found her killer.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
When I was at school one of the girls in the boarding house disappeared. She was younger than me, I think she was 14 when it happened. Anyway they eventually found her at the town dam and she’d been murdered by some homeless people. Unsure if there was any sexual assault.
I knew for the parents, as strange as it sounds, it was a great relief to have a body. Often in SA people are never found.
I also remember the boarding house “father” had a heart attack over it and he literally went grey overnight.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
A really sweet girl I went to school with was killed by her boyfriend at uni, he was psychotic at the time.

• Sad
My sisters ex-husband's dad killed his neighbour in South London a few years ago. He is still in Broadmoor....

• Wow
Reactions: 8
This sounds extremely far-fetched but if you Google the details you’ll probably find it. My secondary school History teacher was a paedophile and went to prison for it. When he got out, he was into drugs and was doing heroin with a woman and a guy, they murdered him and took selfies with his body in the background.

Also a girl I knew at uni (she was on the same course as me, we were in a few seminars together and went out a few times) went to Thailand and suddenly died. They weren’t sure if it was a mix of prescription drugs and drinking or if she was murdered, her parents think murdered because the island she was on is notorious for backpackers and violence. So weird, I still have one of her DVDs and one of her course books on my bookshelves.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I work for a Criminal Defence Firm who represent Defendants charged with different offences. I have experienced several murderers whilst working in this industry. The worst one for me was someone who killed their father in front of their Mother over alcohol. The Defendant was granted bail whilst they waited for trial. The Defendant went on to take their own life before their trial was heard.
I often think about people who who in defence and prosecution teams. The evidence they must see must be harrowing and horrific. Is there therapy to be able to overcome what they are having to look at etc? X

Reactions: 3
Similar to several stories already shared. I went to High school with a guy who was killed by hitting his head after a single punch. He was on a night out with friends. It was all over the news and he was in a coma for around a week before he died. The guy that did it, and his friend, apparently laughed about knocking him out and walked off. They also got manslaughter and didn't even spend 2 years behind bars.

Also a young guy in my town defended his mum from DV. Single punch killed his dad. He went to jail for manslaughter as he pled guilty so that his mum didn't have to testify. There was quite an outrage and he was eventually released but I can't remember if charges were dropped.

Same town, a neighbour on my street went missing after a night out. Eventually found drowned. There were rumours that her husband may have been involved in her death but no charges were ever brought. They argued a lot and apparently she had stormed off from the bar they were drinking in after an argument.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I often think about people who who in defence and prosecution teams. The evidence they must see must be harrowing and horrific. Is there therapy to be able to overcome what they are having to look at etc? X
I’m a therapist… there is absolutely therapy to overcome this and we often have patients in our service for very similar circumstances but more than anything this post made me think “who looks after us?”. I’ve listened to awful stories over the years and unfortunately the nature of trauma therapy means we have to listen to every last detail which can be difficult to switch off from at times.

I had a patient that took his own life 2 months after being discharged from treatment (appearing to be well and responded well to therapy), to this day, 5 years on I could tell you the date he did it, how he did, what he wore when I first met him, his general appearance, his height and the conversations we had in therapy. Not something I think I’ll ever forget.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 36
A friend was killed by her parents in an "honour", killing.

A friend was run over by a car and left for dead. She did die.

My friend's mum was murdered by someone and more than 20 years later there is no justice.

• Sad
  • Wow
I don't know about criminal lawyers but a friend was a lawyer for a local council. She said that the responsibility for social work cases was rotated around the department to prevent too much trauma for the lawyer dealing with all the details of why children were being taken into care etc (just think of some of the cases you hear about when that hasn't happened in order to imagine what some of those files are full of).

Reactions: 7
When I was around 8/10 years old, one of my friends went missing. He was last seen going into someone's car but there was never too much done about it. He was never found and until today, his mother still puts posters up and looks for him.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
My best friends twin brother went on a night out when we were about 21 and his friend started getting beat up by a 40 odd year old guy (they started having a stupid drunken argument about football) my friends brother jumped in and punched the guy in the head to get him off his friend… a few days later he died from the punch.

When I was a teenager I used to go out with a guy who had a disabled little brother, he used to have a friend over for tea sometimes who was also disabled. His auntie and uncle were his main carers and a year or two later they were shot dead by their son. He had tried to drown them first by driving a car into a canal with the boy inside but it was failed attempt and he was hailed a hero for “saving” them, this was all to claim inheritance off them.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
When I was in college around 15 years ago, a girl in my group left suddenly and never came back.
She told our group via text that she got home from college to find her brother (about 25yrs old) dead in the doorway.
He’d been stabbed in the heart with a screwdriver.
The police eventually caught the guys that did this.
His friend owed them money and had heard he was in the house. So they went there and stabbed the brother as soon as he’d opened the door and run off leaving him there.
The guy that owed money was not in the house and police believed it was mistaken identity as they looked quite similar.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
My town has two of them, though I only knew one personally.

The one that I didn't know personally but have friends that know: a boy disappeared in the 00's, they found his car on a bypass but they never found any trace of him. The local paper will bring it up every so often, that always brings on the whispering of people in town.

The one that I do know personally: one of the girls that made fun of me at school was murdered. She went home with someone after a night out to a halfway house. He killed her really brutally - people had assumed that he'd done some really heinous things but that's untrue. When they went to arrest him, they tazed him and he had a heart attack. It was a really conflicting one for me because I only ever remember her making me cry constantly and literally making my life hell but no one deserves that.

• Sad
  • Wow
Very sad and very raw still....

So last year summer one if my friends was stabbed in the neck by her stalker. She went out on a few dates with him and called it a day. (They worked together and he ended up getting the sack due to his behaviour before this happened) He was stalking her for weeks before snapping her fingers, stabbing her to death and later killing him self. A few weeks prior someone found a "murder kit" in the local area. She had obviously reported him to the police, a member of the public had reported the "murder kit" but nothing got done. I know people always say nice things about dead people but she was the life and soul of the party ❤
I remeber on the day it happen it a pretty rough area and everywhere had shut down, schools were keeping kids in etc. As horrible as it sounded I thought it was some DV case so i was just going about my day, following it on Facebook. A few hours later my phone just blew up. Still can't belive it to this day 💜

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 21

So last year sumner one if my friends was stabbed in the neck by her stalker. She went out on a few dates with him and called it a day. He was stalking her for weeks before snapping her fingers, stabbing her to death and later killing him self. A few weeks prior someone found a "murder kit" in the local area. She had obviously reported him to the police, a member of the public had reported the "murder kit" but nothing got done. I know people always say nice things about dead people but she was the life and soul of the party ❤
I remeber on the day it happen it a pretty rough area and everywhere had shut down, schools were keeping kids in etc. As horrible as it sounded I thought it was some DV case so i was just going about my day, following it on Facebook. A few hours later my phone just blew up. Still can't belive it to this day.
God that’s just awful. Your poor pal x

• Heart
Reactions: 5
So much has been done regaurding making new laws for stalking but even if the restraing order would have been in place he would still have killed her.

Reactions: 2

So last year summer one if my friends was stabbed in the neck by her stalker. She went out on a few dates with him and called it a day. (They worked together and he ended up getting the sack due to his behaviour before this happened) He was stalking her for weeks before snapping her fingers, stabbing her to death and later killing him self. A few weeks prior someone found a "murder kit" in the local area. She had obviously reported him to the police, a member of the public had reported the "murder kit" but nothing got done. I know people always say nice things about dead people but she was the life and soul of the party ❤
I remeber on the day it happen it a pretty rough area and everywhere had shut down, schools were keeping kids in etc. As horrible as it sounded I thought it was some DV case so i was just going about my day, following it on Facebook. A few hours later my phone just blew up. Still can't belive it to this day 💜
I think I know of this horrible crime. Didn’t the police get condemned for not doing anything about the weapons found near her horses?

Reactions: 1
I think I know of this horrible crime. Didn’t the police get condemned for not doing anything about the weapons found near her horses?
Yes that the one. She was tending to her horse which she did every morning

Reactions: 3