Have you ever known someone who went missing or was murdered?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I didn't know the man, but him and his wife lived just 2 minutes walk from me. A few years ago they were woken to the sound of intruders, and the man went downstairs. The intruders had taken his car keys, and he went out after them to try to stop them stealing the car. The deliberately ran him over to get away. His wife was left screaming in the street for help in the middle of the night, he had visible tyre marks over his chest. Sadly he died.

For a week or so after the road was shut off with news vans, crews and reporters all over each end of the road. A few days later his wife went back to the house to pick up some belongings and the DM published photos of her looking absolutely broken. Scum.

The intruders were caught and charged with murder, not manslaughter and were convicted.

• Sad
Reactions: 20
I didn't know the man, but him and his wife lived just 2 minutes walk from me. A few years ago they were woken to the sound of intruders, and the man went downstairs. The intruders had taken his car keys, and he went out after them to try to stop them stealing the car. The deliberately ran him over to get away. His wife was left screaming in the street for help in the middle of the night, he had visible tyre marks over his chest. Sadly he died.

For a week or so after the road was shut off with news vans, crews and reporters all over each end of the road. A few days later his wife went back to the house to pick up some belongings and the DM published photos of her looking absolutely broken. Scum.

The intruders were caught and charged with murder, not manslaughter and were convicted.
Is this Chorlton? If so a girl I worked with lived in the same road and she was so shaken up by it, I remember she said she’d heard the aftermath of it and witnessed some of what happened. Sounded horrific, he was only in his 30’s as well, poor guy 😞

• Sad
Reactions: 7
In 2004, Castle Bromwich, this happened to Tushar Makwana, he was a radio DJ for heart FM . Intruders broke into his house , he managed to chase them out of his home but sadly he was run over by the getaway car.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Is this Chorlton? If so a girl I worked with lived in the same road and she was so shaken up by it, I remember she said she’d heard the aftermath of it and witnessed some of what happened. Sounded horrific, he was only in his 30’s as well, poor guy 😞
Yes, Chorlton. Poor girl having to hear and see that happening. It was really awful.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
My brothers best pal killed his partner, I knew someone killed in the Tunisian terror attack. And a friends grandchild was killed by its mum and dad. Have to say my brothers pal , we couldn’t believe what he did. He was always so lovely. Took my brother a long time to get past it.
I didn’t know her personally but I still remember the girl Carly that was killed in the Tunisia attacks. She had a beauty blog and a Pinterest that I still follow to this day, despite obviously it’s not updated. CeeJayEll it is called. Bless her heart, I’ve never forgotten her. ♥

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I didn’t know her personally but I still remember the girl Carly that was killed in the Tunisia attacks. She had a beauty blog and a Pinterest that I still follow to this day, despite obviously it’s not updated. CeeJayEll it is called. Bless her heart, I’ve never forgotten her. ♥
Just looked her up and the first thing in the search was her twitter. Must have been hacked as there are posts after the attacks took place. The last one from her was about packing for her holiday :(

• Sad
Reactions: 5
That takes me way back, she posted an interview on her blog with another blogger I followed at the time :( Her Twitter account wasn't hacked, they were auto-Tweets that posted whenever she liked a video on YouTube (evidently after she died, her family or someone else logged into the YouTube account)

Reactions: 4
Yes someone I worked with and was pretty close to went missing. A few days later he was found dead in a canal. No suspicious circumstances 😢

• Sad
In my first ever job I worked with a girl who disappeared. We couldn't understand why it wasn't in the media as she was only 17 (she was at college and doing a work experience placement with us).

A few months down the line we found out she had fled to avoid an arranged marriage. She had contacted the police to let them know not to waste any time and resources looking for her as it was a voluntary disappearance and she was being supported by a charity to start a new life under a new name in a different part of the UK.

I often think of her and always hope that she's living the sort of life she desired.
We helped a girl in a very similar situation get to safety a few years ago now, it was horrific and we worry about her even now (we're still in touch and consider her one of the family). Such a brave thing for her to do, just leave everything and run.

Also my husbands very young cousin was murdered in a really brutal attack a few years ago, we had never met his cousin but it was still a really shocking thing to happen.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
Another one of mine: I used to work at a company where, right before I joined, one of the senior team had gone missing for about a week before being found dead (it was very sadly suicide.) We did not do the same job but when I called one of his clients they were all "oh, are you Tom's replacement?" I had no idea who Tom was and had to ask someone which was a very awkward conversation ...

• Sad
Someone I went to school with was murdered at university by his flatmate, stabbed 80 times in some drunken rage. Was weird seeing it all over the local news at the time.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
I used to know someone (vaguely, he never talked about it and I'm sure there were rumours about this) who killed a man. He went to jail for 14 years.

Reactions: 1
I was in the same year at college as a girl who got killed by a drunk driver. She was at a bus stop with her friend and the head was racing his friend at 100 mph down the road. He ploughed straight into the bus stop. She died at the scene and her friend was in a coma for ages, she had to learn to walk again. We were never close but I dated her best friend for a bit when we were about 15, then we ended up at the same college. I don't think we ever said more than 20 words to each other to be honest but I think of her quite often. She was a poet and her parents published a collection of her poetry after her death. I wonder what she'd be doing now.

• Sad
Reactions: 16
Not directly related to me, but one of my friends was telling me that she knew someone in her year at school who was
murdered by her boyfriend and cut up her body and put her in a chest. Very sad.

This is an ongoing case but a guy who was in my year at school was looking after his girlfriends toddler when the child sadly fell down the stairs and died. I assumed it was a horrible accident but he plead guilty to killing him so I am not sure what actually happened, guess it will come to light later the year when he has his trial.
Well, he has now been convicted. Turns out the child did not fall down their stairs at all, but the guy who went to my school was continuously beating the child for months, and one day threw the child, knocked hum unconscious and he never woke up. Absolutely heartbreaking. The mum tried to blame the babies dad for the bruises he kept getting, and protected the guy who did it.

The guy has been convicted of manslaughter and awaiting sentencing, how he has not been convicted of murder is beyond me.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 33
Well, he has now been convicted. Turns out the child did not fall down their stairs at all, but the guy who went to my school was continuously beating the child for months, and one day threw the child, knocked hum unconscious and he never woke up. Absolutely heartbreaking. The mum tried to blame the babies dad for the bruises he kept getting, and protected the guy who did it.

The guy has been convicted of manslaughter and awaiting sentencing, how he has not been convicted of murder is beyond me.
he has now been sentenced to just 9 years in prison, and the mum got a suspended sentence, despite covering up the murder for him AND blaming the biological dad. Absolutely shocking

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
he has now been sentenced to just 9 years in prison, and the mum got a suspended sentence, despite covering up the murder for him AND blaming the biological dad. Absolutely shocking
Awful 😫 I'm not a legal expert but surely if there was a history of abuse then it should be murder.

Awful 😫 I'm not a legal expert but surely if there was a history of abuse then it should be murder.
I was shocked he got manslaughter since it was sadly not the first time he abused the toddler. Absolutely sickening, the media described him as a 'devout christian', I don't think so!!!

Yeah, a guy I knew was stabbed to death, supposedly drug related.
couldn't believe it when his picture came up on the news

Reactions: 4
I live in the Borough where Steven Lawrence was killed, the year before a boy in my school was killed in a racially motivated attack, his brother was in my class and came to school the following day full of rage but was convinced to go home

• Sad
I knew of a man who went missing - quite a high profile case - but people kept seeing him for months afterwards. I wondered if he had suffered from memory loss or something. Or maybe the people who saw "him" were mistaken.