Have you ever known someone who went missing or was murdered?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone at my new-ish workplace went missing a couple of years ago. By all accounts it appears that they were happy in life, love and work so it's all very intriguing (they went missing from their home early one night, leaving their keys, phone, car, bag ... everything behind). Their desk is exactly as they left it, and is a bit of a no-go zone for anyone - management apparently get really cross if people borrow the chair or take a pen from that desk, and always make a point of wishing them a happy birthday on the WhatsApp work group.

I think they're keeping the job open in case the person ever does return.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Someone at my new-ish workplace went missing a couple of years ago. By all accounts it appears that they were happy in life, love and work so it's all very intriguing (they went missing from their home early one night, leaving their keys, phone, car, bag ... everything behind). Their desk is exactly as they left it, and is a bit of a no-go zone for anyone - management apparently get really cross if people borrow the chair or take a pen from that desk, and always make a point of wishing them a happy birthday on the WhatsApp work group.

Ooooh that sent a shiver down my spine.

Like you, I hope your colleague is safe and sound somewhere!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Old flour mill i wonder?
Was the building and surrounding area used as a shortcut to get from the town centre or high street/a shopping centre to the residence where some of the children lived? If it is the crime I am thinking of, they were trespassing there and coming up with dares for each other to do, I think.

Reactions: 2
In the early ‘90’s a friend of mine went backpacking in India and disappeared. All the police ever found was a pile of his clothes and belongings by the banks of the Ganges, they didn’t believe he had drowned though - more likely that someone had put them there to make it look that way.
Several years ago a woman I used to know was murdered by her estranged husband. They’d been separated for some time after he’d subjected her to years of violence and abuse and she’d recently met someone else and he’d found out about it. He lured her to his house by pretending their daughter was ill and then he repeatedly stabbed her. After he’d killed her he got into his car and drove away and tried to kill himself by driving into a wall.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
I knew Jessica Chapman, we were in the same sports club. It was very surreal seeing her on the news at the time.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
Two more (both north east england)

Young lady was stabbed and killed as she tried to get between the assailant and her boyfriend. I'm not sure what happened to the assailant.

The other is a young man who was out for the night with his parents, brother and girlfriend, got into an altercation and died from a punch to the head (severed his cerebral artery). He was only 24. The offenders were convicted for manslaughter (one of them) and lesser charges (the other three).

Tragic.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I had a boyfriend when I was late teens who went down to London quite a lot to see his brother , my neighbours girlfriend spotted me out with him one night and came to our house the night later to ask me if I knew about his brother the one in London, I said no my boyfriend had just mentioned his brother lived down there and went to visit. Apparently a couple of years before she and my boyfriends brother were best pals hung out together all the time really really close, then one night he murdered a girl a stranger completely out of the blue and was serving a life sentence. She was absolutely shocked to the core as she insisted he was the kindest sweetest guy ever, went out of his way to help people loved animals hated injustice.
As this is many many years ago maybe he had serious mental issues or illness that had never been diagnosed or was on medication and forgot to take it who knows, I never discussed it with my boyfriend we weren’t together long and I always thought if he wanted me to know he would of told me.

Reactions: 9
A friend was murdered by his boyfriend in 1996 who then went on to hang himself whilst on remand at Winchester Prison. It was just such a sad time when David passed. He was the life and soul of the party. As there was no trial we never knew why James killed him.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I'm from Northern Ireland so I grew up amongst the troubles. There are quite alot but one that stands out for me is 2 lads that my brother went to school with got murdered in 2000, they were on a night out and perhaps wrong place wrong time. I won't go into too much detail but they were lured away from the club on the pretence of a party elsewhere though they were taken out to a country road and severely beaten, stabbed in the face, one was stabbed in the eye, had their throats cut etc. I have a friend that lives close to where they died that night and anytime I go to her house it still makes me well up thinking about the pain they were in or how scared they must have been.

One of my best friends fiance got hit with a bottle one night at a house party. Drink & drugs were involved and an argument broke out. He ended up going to hospital and then got discharged 2 days later. Everyone thought he would be ok. He went to sleep on the sofa a day later and didn't wake up.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
My sister has been learning a language for a while. She contacted someone who went by Laoshu505000 on youtube, and he was super friendly, as was his girlfriend who gave her tips and they did stay in touch. She even draw him fan art which was featured on their story.

His brother claims that he was murdered, and that he was beaten to death. We’ve been cleaning out out room and the fan art picture pops up. She doesn’t want to get rid of it but it makes her sad to see. She didn’t even know him that well - just that he was kind to her . Can’t imagine what his family must be going through with no answers.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I had a boyfriend when I was late teens who went down to London quite a lot to see his brother , my neighbours girlfriend spotted me out with him one night and came to our house the night later to ask me if I knew about his brother the one in London, I said no my boyfriend had just mentioned his brother lived down there and went to visit. Apparently a couple of years before she and my boyfriends brother were best pals hung out together all the time really really close, then one night he murdered a girl a stranger completely out of the blue and was serving a life sentence. She was absolutely shocked to the core as she insisted he was the kindest sweetest guy ever, went out of his way to help people loved animals hated injustice.
As this is many many years ago maybe he had serious mental issues or illness that had never been diagnosed or was on medication and forgot to take it who knows, I never discussed it with my boyfriend we weren’t together long and I always thought if he wanted me to know he would of told me.
Wow, you are restrained. The first thing I would’ve done was a deep dive on his brother and then asked questions. My OH says I’m super nosy but ai like to think I’m curious 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Not directly related to me, but one of my friends was telling me that she knew someone in her year at school who was
murdered by her boyfriend and cut up her body and put her in a chest. Very sad.

This is an ongoing case but a guy who was in my year at school was looking after his girlfriends toddler when the child sadly fell down the stairs and died. I assumed it was a horrible accident but he plead guilty to killing him so I am not sure what actually happened, guess it will come to light later the year when he has his trial.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I became friends with a neighbour and her husband, used to drink in local pub. They had 2 kids. She came to see us one day as he had gone to work day before, never came home. Police wouldn't do anything. He never came back, she had to sell house , move away , all in all very hard for her and kids. About 5 years later we found out he had started a new life with someone else. Kicker was, it was the 3rd time he'd just disappeared. My friend wasn't the first he'd done it to!

• Wow
Reactions: 18

Omg that’s really really sad. We always remember the family of a victim but never the friends or colleagues. I thought that about when Sarah Everard died…her work didn’t release any statement x

• Sad
Reactions: 11
I didn’t realise how many stories I had until I started this thread, anyway back in the 90s I worked in a pub restaurant down south and a young girl called Sarah worked for me, nice girl hardworking never gave me any cause for worry. Her boyfriend used to come and walk her home from work he seemed to be a nice lad too.
Eventually she left the job for another job and we lost touch, a year or so later in the local paper i read that Sarah had gone missing the police found all her clothes folded up on the banks of the Thames and she was never seen again.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
I used to go drinking in a big group. All different ages and from all walks of life. A few years ago one of the guys (married with kids) had killed a woman that he was seeing. It was a huge news story as he was a very successful man in a very affluent area. Lived a few doors down from my friends parents.
he tried to say she killed herself. Lots of drink and drugs.
creepy!

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I work for a Criminal Defence Firm who represent Defendants charged with different offences. I have experienced several murderers whilst working in this industry. The worst one for me was someone who killed their father in front of their Mother over alcohol. The Defendant was granted bail whilst they waited for trial. The Defendant went on to take their own life before their trial was heard.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
In my first ever job I worked with a girl who disappeared. We couldn't understand why it wasn't in the media as she was only 17 (she was at college and doing a work experience placement with us).

A few months down the line we found out she had fled to avoid an arranged marriage. She had contacted the police to let them know not to waste any time and resources looking for her as it was a voluntary disappearance and she was being supported by a charity to start a new life under a new name in a different part of the UK.

I often think of her and always hope that she's living the sort of life she desired.

• Heart
Reactions: 64
In my first ever job I worked with a girl who disappeared. We couldn't understand why it wasn't in the media as she was only 17 (she was at college and doing a work experience placement with us).

A few months down the line we found out she had fled to avoid an arranged marriage. She had contacted the police to let them know not to waste any time and resources looking for her as it was a voluntary disappearance and she was being supported by a charity to start a new life under a new name in a different part of the UK.

I often think of her and always hope that she's living the sort of life she desired.
This made me feel cold! Good on her and I really hope she made her life how she wanted it too. That takes serious balls to do.

Reactions: 27
I work for a Criminal Defence Firm who represent Defendants charged with different offences. I have experienced several murderers whilst working in this industry. The worst one for me was someone who killed their father in front of their Mother over alcohol. The Defendant was granted bail whilst they waited for trial. The Defendant went on to take their own life before their trial was heard.
This is so sad 🥹

Reactions: 1