Have you ever known someone who went missing or was murdered?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When I was was five I was sent to the shops to get milk, bread and fags for my mum. We were staying with a relative at the time. Young kids in the sixties were a little hardier than kids now so being sent out wasn’t abnormal.
I took a short cut across the park, after being expressly told not to. As it was full of tramps and drunks.
I saw a guy in the floor. His head was cleaved in two, yet his hat was still sort of on.. I could see his brain. It was very grey and clean, there was a pool of blood under his head and his eyes were open and he was looking up in the sky. I screamed and ran home. I got told off badly, and no one Called the police.
Jesus that's horrific! 😖

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I knew a guy whose father murdered his mother, when this guy and his three siblings were kids. The father left the mother's body in bed for two days while the kids were just unaware, getting on with their lives in the house. I don't know how they found the body, but the father eventually went down for life. The lad at least grew up and became a very good husband and dad.

I also knew a woman who went missing when she was about 50. They found her car by the river so there wasn't much mystery surrounding it. The police found her arm in the river, a few days before they found the rest of her body. It always brought it home to me, the thought of her arm becoming detached, because when we're a dead body we're no longer "us". Local talk was that she'd had bad depression since her children grew up and left home. I hope they don't feel guilty. They probably couldn't help but feel guilty, but I hope they're doing as well as could be.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
This one has already been mentioned but I’ll share.
New Year’s Day murder by the head teacher, pre meditated, his wife was spending it with her fella (he’s my friend of a friend link) from running club his mum knew what he was going to do, she had the children asleep and didn’t call the police until much too late.
He climbed over the wall, and got in through the patio doors, they didn’t wake until he burst in their bedroom and he stabbed them to death. Sad thing is the boyfriend’s ex partner in this wasn’t ready for him to move on and still had somewhat of a candle that they might reconcile.
This is local to me, I have mutual friends with the male victim. I can't imagine what the children must be going through and also the co parent of the male victim.

Someone I know was stabbed to death by his ex girlfriend's partner, he didn't die immediately. The worst thing was the family of the ex girlfriend didn't contact the victim's family so they didn't get chance to say goodbye.

My ex's friend was beaten to death in a road rage argument. The killer and his friends kicked him to death, some of them fled abroad.

The 15 year old son of a couple I knew was shot dead, he had arranged to meet someone for a scrap in a park and they turned up with a gun.

I work in a school now and they bring in organisations to speak about gun and knife crime, they describe this case without naming names but it's awful knowing it happened to families that I know!

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Not a murder but an untimely death. A member of my extended family committed suicide by running in front of a car a few weeks ago. She’d suffered from depression since she was a teenager and left behind 2 teenage children. Absolutely tragic for her, her children and the poor driver.

• Sad
Reactions: 17
I went to uni with a girl who went travelling in Thailand and was murdered in Koi Sumui. A Thai man was arrested and charged shortly after but it was suggested it was a cover up to maintain confidence to people weren’t put off travelling there.
It was before smart phones and social media, so I saw a headline at 10pm but then had to wait until the next day for the news papers to see the details.
When I went travelling 6 months later I remember telling the man in STA Travel this had happened and it worried me and he said loads of travellers go missing but it’s not normally reported in the media!

• Sad
Reactions: 16
Sadly I’ve got a few…

A member of my extended family was murdered in London in the early 1990s. I’ll be vague as to not out myself but it received huge media attention, lots of trashy tabloid headlines due to the shocking details. 2 young sisters were found guilty of the murder but got out on appeal about a year later because they claimed they didn’t get a fair trial due to the media attention influencing the jury etc. When new evidence came to light, the double jeopardy rule prevented a retrial. Very very sad, her parents never got over it.

A girl I met in Summer camp when I was about 11 was murdered by her ex boyfriend a few years later when we were about 18/19. He hid her body in a hedge and left it decompose during a heatwave so her remains were in a bad way when found a few days later which was awful for her poor family. He also repeatedly lied about what happened, claimed they had consensual sex etc. and that she got into a jealous rage and he restrained her and mistakenly strangled her.

A neighbour of my husband growing up went missing around 22 years ago when he was 18 or so. Last seen on a night out and it was very out of character. A couple of years ago a part of his shin washed up on a river bank a fair distance from where he was last seen. The police reckon it had gangland involvement/ he saw something he shouldn’t have etc. Sadly his Mum died only a few months beforehand so she died not knowing in 20 years what happened to her son or if he was really dead.

Several people my husband went to school with ended up becoming profilic gang land figures in Ireland. Most of them are now either serving life in prison for murders or dead themselves. One of them was shot dead over a €40 drug debt and buried in a shallow grave across the road from his estate.

Our friend’s cousin (again in Ireland) was battered to death on the green of the housing estate he lived on to the point he was almost decapitated. Everyone knew who did it but nobody would speak to the police because it was a notorious gangland family - his poor parents still live in the same estate living in fear of this family who also live there and have to pass where their son was murdered every day

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
Very sad and very raw still....

So last year summer one if my friends was stabbed in the neck by her stalker. She went out on a few dates with him and called it a day. (They worked together and he ended up getting the sack due to his behaviour before this happened) He was stalking her for weeks before snapping her fingers, stabbing her to death and later killing him self. A few weeks prior someone found a "murder kit" in the local area. She had obviously reported him to the police, a member of the public had reported the "murder kit" but nothing got done. I know people always say nice things about dead people but she was the life and soul of the party ❤
I remeber on the day it happen it a pretty rough area and everywhere had shut down, schools were keeping kids in etc. As horrible as it sounded I thought it was some DV case so i was just going about my day, following it on Facebook. A few hours later my phone just blew up. Still can't belive it to this day 💜
I remember this - I’m from Worksop so not far at all from the area that she was murdered. Sending you lots of love xx

Reactions: 4
My ex boss is in prison for murdering his wife, they never found her body but evidence of blood etc was found in his car. He still says he didn’t do it. There was a documentary a couple of years ago about it on TV. It was very weird hearing his voice talking to the reporter from prison. He refuses to do a lie detector test or admit anything to this day. Very odd. He was a fab boss I have to say and we got on really well and I was absolutely amazed when the story broke.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
In primary school there was identical twin girls in my class but a yeah younger than me. They were extremely close as you’d expect. I saw them around comp but they seemed to have separate friendship groups yet still had the close bond.

One of the twins was murdered by her jealous ex boyfriend when she was 21. He was obsessed with her and couldn’t handle not being with her. She had gone travelling and met someone - when she came home the constant messaging from the ex resumed. He was jealous of this new guy and tried to sabotage the relationship by changing her email password so they couldn’t communicate with each other. She agreed to go for a drink with the ex, they were seen in a pub local to her laughing and joking together. They went back to her flat where he strangled her to death. He drove to a police station where he handed himself in.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10

I know this lady from passing in the street. (It’s my town, I used to live just over the main road from her). She’s been round the house I lived in with my friend when I lived there too. I have a few close friends who were close with her. Everyone is really shocked and people close to her were saying something bad must have happened straight away for her a d that she’d never have left her kids willingly.

• Sad
I know of someone who just left his house 5/6 years ago never to be seen again. Intentional but do wonder what happened to him. The police won’t help his family as he left of his own free will
Me too, the daughter of my HVAC mechanic, left her house around 14hrs to never be seen again....once again, in broad day light! she took a bus to a nearby park 10 minutes away from her home. Very ghastly affair

• Sad
I wonder how easy it is to just disappear these days, what with our digital footprint and all the tracking and cameras etc?

Its so sad when people choose to disappear, they must be in such huge turmoil and so unhappy but to just walk away, leaving everyone behind is heartbreaking.

Reactions: 7

I know this lady from passing in the street. (It’s my town, I used to live just over the main road from her). She’s been round the house I lived in with my friend when I lived there too. I have a few close friends who were close with her. Everyone is really shocked and people close to her were saying something bad must have happened straight away for her a d that she’d never have left her kids willingly.
So sad I read a comment that said something bad must have happened as she would never not contact her children truly heartbreaking

I’ve got a few unfortunately. A very good friend and colleague of mine, a Muslim girl, was stabbed to death by her husband in an honour killing in 1986 in Blackburn because she told him she didn’t love him (arranged marriage when she was 18). At the same workplace in 1989 my good friend was killed by a petrol bomb thrown into the Housing Benefits office by a disgruntled client (he was the boss of it) just as he was walking out of the office to get the news that he had been accepted for early retirement! My cousin, who was CEO of a big hospital, was murdered in his own home in Texas in the mid 90s by a gay-hater (the perp was executed for it), and finally an old school chum’s body was found under the back yard of a terraced house in Blackburn when they were demolishing houses to redevelop Ewood Park in the mid 90s. He was murdered by his landlord - again, there was homosexual issues around that. All of the perps were either convicted or in the case of the petrol bomb killed themselves!

Thankfully the last 25/30 years have been less eventful!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I wonder how easy it is to just disappear these days, what with our digital footprint and all the tracking and cameras etc?

Its so sad when people choose to disappear, they must be in such huge turmoil and so unhappy but to just walk away, leaving everyone behind is heartbreaking.
I knew someone that wanted to disappear. He owed quite of bit of money and wanted to ‘fly his plane over the sea and pretend it goes missing’
We investigated it with some people we know that looked for missing people and they said it’s next to impossible. We as humans can’t help it but after a while we feel safe to mention something to someone we ‘trust’ and then it’s figured out. You have to fully live this lie but you just can’t, something trips you up for what ever reason. So your eventually caught/caught out.

Reactions: 8
I have two.

A girl called Jayden from didcot near Oxfordshire. She was only young and was murdered by her boyfriend. She was also rumoured to be pregnant. He put her in a suitcase and buried her in his uncles grave. His brother helped him so also got in trouble. There is another brother who is completely deranged.

Also a friend of mines dad killed her stepmum. It was horrific. He went to prison and killed himself. It was right around the time we were doing our exams at school and they put her in a room on her own as everyone would stare at her 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I knew someone that wanted to disappear. He owed quite of bit of money and wanted to ‘fly his plane over the sea and pretend it goes missing’
We investigated it with some people we know that looked for missing people and they said it’s next to impossible. We as humans can’t help it but after a while we feel safe to mention something to someone we ‘trust’ and then it’s figured out. You have to fully live this lie but you just can’t, something trips you up for what ever reason. So your eventually caught/caught out.
I wonder how those in witness protection cope. It must be so difficult not to be able to talk about your past.

Reactions: 9
I have two.

A girl called Jayden from didcot near Oxfordshire. She was only young and was murdered by her boyfriend. She was also rumoured to be pregnant. He put her in a suitcase and buried her in his uncles grave. His brother helped him so also got in trouble. There is another brother who is completely deranged.

Also a friend of mines dad killed her stepmum. It was horrific. He went to prison and killed himself. It was right around the time we were doing our exams at school and they put her in a room on her own as everyone would stare at her 😔
I've seen Jayden's story a few times on documentaries. Her mum always seems sweet and protective about her. What he did was bad enough but I can't believe his brother would help him out. What was Jayden like?

Reactions: 1
The only one I know is Penelope and David Jackson from Berrow. My husband used to play golf with him a lot so I met him a few times. I remember how shocked everyone was when it happened as it's such a small quiet village

Reactions: 1
I worked in Derby city centre around the time that Mick & Mairead Philpott set their house on fire killing the children. They paraded round Derby in T-shirts promoting their grief and asking for free items from all the shops in the city to ‘remember the children’ and were later found guilty and sentenced.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 15