Have you ever known someone who went missing or was murdered?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Same, except kind of worse?

In 2011, I briefly dated a guy long-distance. He was on the East coast of the US, I was near Chicago, it didn't last super long but I did get pregnant. Baby was born super early and didn't make it, ExBF said "It was probably for the best" and we never spoke again because I was raging mad.

Almost a decade later, a friend of his that I had stayed Facebook friends with sent me a message asking to talk. Well, not so much talk as to send me a couple articles from a regional newspaper. He was one of a bunch of people arrested and charged with production, manufacture, and distribution of child sex abuse materials (kiddie c0rn), misuse of a position of authority (working in a Boy Scout camp/as a Scout leader to access victims), many counts of SA of minors under 16, under 13, under 12, and under 10 (the main age "limits" they put in statutes here, I think some states have under 6 or under 4 but usually it's under 16 and under 12/13 so this particular jurisdiction really got specific), transporting minors across state lines for nefarious purposes, providing illegal substances to minors.

Don't think I've ever thrown up as much as when I found this out, and I had HG while pregnant. Can't help but think that, as painful as it was, he was probably right about it being for the best.

I also have quite a lot of patients who are sex offenders because the hospital system I work for is contracted with the maximum security penitentiary in my state and they seem to have high rates of cancer and auto-immune illness. Makes me sick, sometimes, when they don't have to pay for their medicine when good, kind, free people have to struggle so often.
This is awful, I am so sorry for you losing a child but as you say realistically having a child with that monster would not have been good, thank god his awful comment made you leave him. I always feel so sorry for the female partners of these monsters as there is so often speculation they knew etc which probably follows them around

• Heart
Reactions: 9
A case I think most of us will remember from 2013. The murder of Reeva Steenkamp by Oscar Pistorius. I just can’t believe it’s been 10 years. Still seems so recent.

Reactions: 14
A case I think most of us will remember from 2013. The murder of Reeva Steenkamp by Oscar Pistorius. I just can’t believe it’s been 10 years. Still seems so recent.
I've been watching the latest series on this on Channel 4, largely about her parents journey and them going to meet OP under a rehabilitation scheme. Her parents are absolutely broken and to my mind, OP is a lying piece of tit.

• Sad
Reactions: 17
I've been watching the latest series on this on Channel 4, largely about her parents journey and them going to meet OP under a rehabilitation scheme. Her parents are absolutely broken and to my mind, OP is a lying piece of tit.
She was such a stunning girl , the photo she drew when she was a child really haunts her parents & I couldn’t agree more he’s a nasty guilty man

• Sad
Reactions: 12
She was such a stunning girl , the photo she drew when she was a child really haunts her parents & I couldn’t agree more he’s a nasty guilty man
She was incredibly beautiful both inside and out from all accounts. I think she was in a toxic, controlling relationship with OP the culmination of which was him shooting her in rage. SO much of what happened on that night doesn't add up - why she locked the door if she was just going to the loo during the night in her boyfriends house, the signs that her vest had been ripped off and put back on, no footprints in the blood to support his claim he put his prosthesis back on, the shouting and screaming beforehand. There's lots of more. He's as guilty as hell.

Reactions: 21
My mum's friends son committed a horrific murder in 2001. He was 17 and broke into a 90yr olds house and stabbed her repeatedly while she was in her arm chair. She was discovered the next day. He'd made large gashes in her legs and stuff to drain her blood. Left crucifixes by her body. They called him the vampire killer. The mother had such a horrific time with abuse from people because of what her son did.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
My mum's friends son committed a horrific murder in 2001. He was 17 and broke into a 90yr olds house and stabbed her repeatedly while she was in her arm chair. She was discovered the next day. He'd made large gashes in her legs and stuff to drain her blood. Left crucifixes by her body. They called him the vampire killer. The mother had such a horrific time with abuse from people because of what her son did.
Was this some kind of mental health issue?! Totally horrific, what was he sentenced to?

My childhood best friend was Debbie Mayor, whose Mum, Gwen was the teacher killed in Dunblane Primary School. We are still close & we work in the same hospital.
Incidentally, my Uncle was a Paramedic who attended the scene at Dunblane PS, he retired not long afterwards.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Was this some kind of mental health issue?! Totally horrific, what was he sentenced to?
He was sentenced to life minimum of 12yrs. He was obsessed with vampires and wanted to become one. He cut out her heart and drank her blood. You’d think there was some mental issues but his legal team had no evidence of insanity.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
A childhood friend, who had previously lived next door to my grandparents, was murdered by her Mum whilst she slept... she was 9 years old. We shared the same first name and her last name rhymed with my grandparents, which we always loved. She was a beautiful, beautiful little girl with a lovely personality. I think of her often. ❤

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
My childhood best friend was Debbie Mayor, whose Mum, Gwen was the teacher killed in Dunblane Primary School. We are still close & we work in the same hospital.
Incidentally, my Uncle was a Paramedic who attended the scene at Dunblane PS, he retired not long afterwards.
Her mum was a hero. I hope she is doing ok. My gran lived around the corner from DPS and I'll never forget seeing the pavements filled with flowers.

Reactions: 15
I went to school with a boy who’s mum was murdered, his older teenage sister found the body. They have never caught who did it - horrific. I ran into him a few years ago and he is doing ok, got a girlfriend and a house, glad he is doing well

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
My neighbour's teenage son was murdered and his death made the national news. It actually made front page of The Evening Standard at the time as knife crime was out of control that particular year. The injuries he sustained were particularly horrific.

I only made the connection when I was moving house and doing research on the area, as the details for his memorial came up, and our building name was mentioned in a public Facebook post. My neighbour has never mentioned it to me (I mean, why would she?), but my next door neighbour confirmed my suspicions, a couple of weeks after I had moved in, when she introduced herself and was telling me who's who, in our block.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
My neighbour's teenage son was murdered and his death made the national news. It actually made front page of The Evening Standard at the time as knife crime was out of control that particular year. The injuries he sustained were particularly horrific.

I only made the connection when I was moving house and doing research on the area, as the details for his memorial came up, and our building name was mentioned in a public Facebook post. My neighbour has never mentioned it to me (I mean, why would she?), but my next door neighbour confirmed my suspicions, a couple of weeks after I had moved in, when she introduced herself and was telling me who's who, in our block.
Not to say it would’ve put you off but aren’t estate agents supposed to disclose things like that?
I mean I wouldn’t personally care but some people are really funny about things like that

Reactions: 2
Was he ok? I can’t imagine what it must have been like to see little children with gunshot wounds.
He retired 6 months later (he was due to retire in the next 18mths anyway). I don't recall him talking about it, but he died in January this year & my Aunt said he was really affected by it (hard to think you wouldn't be).

• Heart
Reactions: 6
He retired 6 months later (he was due to retire in the next 18mths anyway). I don't recall him talking about it, but he died in January this year & my Aunt said he was really affected by it (hard to think you wouldn't be).
Did he also help at Lockerbie? I remember reading an interview with a man who said the toll of those events led him to retire.
I’m sorry for your loss ❤