Have you ever/do you know anyone that has won big on the lottery?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The most I've ever won was about £70, back in the late '90s. I matched four numbers.
I had actually had a dream where I was looking at a lottery ticket but I could only remember four of the numbers on it when I woke up!
So I started using those four numbers and, sure enough, matched four numbers a few weeks later 😮
If only I could have remembered all six! 😅
I keep hoping I'll have a similar dream but never have since!

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
My mum (lot of years ago) always put the same numbers on the lotto as her sister , they put it on themselves and one day the numbers came out it was around £120k , now you can imagine how much money that was 20 years ago ! So my mum rang my auntie her sister to tell her and my auntie that day hadn’t put the number on so my mum been my mum she gave half to her sister.. to then months later my auntie was renovating her house and my mum thought no way could you have holidays new car etc with the 60k she found out that my auntie HAD put the numbers on she kept the £120k PLUS the half my mum gave her!! How bad is that they never fell out or nothing either still very close now
Omg! That’s awful!! Your poor mum being taken advantage off like that, by her own sister!

Reactions: 4
Someone I went to school with...her family won 72 million.
Wow!! I know they’re day to day way of life has obviously changed but, if have they as people? Meaning their attitudes?
Too be honest if I won that amount I’d actually be frightened! I wouldn’t tell anyone, other than close family, and I’d have to give at least half of it away to charities or good causes, just to make my life easier. If that makes sense!

Wow!! I know they’re day to day way of life has obviously changed but, if have they as people? Meaning their attitudes?
Too be honest if I won that amount I’d actually be frightened! I wouldn’t tell anyone, other than close family, and I’d have to give at least half of it away to charities or good causes, just to make my life easier. If that makes sense!
*their not they’re 🤦🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 2

*their not they’re 🤦🏼‍♀️
I would totally be the same - not tell a soul lol....people have a tendency to show up out of nowhere.
I've moved away from that town so I don't have more details on their attitudes....they were nice lovely people but money changes some for the worse when they've never had it......I hope this doesn't happen to them.

Reactions: 5
When my nana died, the very first thing one of my aunts and her daughters did, was race into the house to find her lottery tickets. When I heard that, I looked at them in a totally different way. Even now, all these years later, they carry on far too much about money - speculating at how much people earn, how they can afford what-not ... if I won big, I wouldn't tell a soul. I just couldn't trust anyone.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
I met a man who won the million first time he was in the Premium Bond draw. His neighbours told local press and they wouldn't leave him alone so he came to stay with our neighbours in Spain to get away from them.
A guy in my home village won the lottery and was a going to pay for a party at the local pub until he turned up and saw the hordes of people in the street, turned round and went home. Word had got out and people had come from all over the place. He ended up paying for a locals usual Saturday night out.

When my nana died, the very first thing one of my aunts and her daughters did, was race into the house to find her lottery tickets. When I heard that, I looked at them in a totally different way. Even now, all these years later, they carry on far too much about money - speculating at how much people earn, how they can afford what-not ... if I won big, I wouldn't tell a soul. I just couldn't trust anyone.
Some people only care about one thing. When my grandma died my auntie took all the jewellery and collectibles that weren’t listed in the will, whilst my mum requested her photo albums. My auntie was fine with that…sums it up! She didn’t even ask for any photos! (Which my mum would have happily shared)

I met a man who won the million first time he was in the Premium Bond draw. His neighbours told local press and they wouldn't leave him alone so he came to stay with our neighbours in Spain to get away from them.
A guy in my home village won the lottery and was a going to pay for a party at the local pub until he turned up and saw the hordes of people in the street, turned round and went home. Word had got out and people had come from all over the place. He ended up paying for a locals usual Saturday night out.
This is exactly the reason why I’d keep quiet! Leeches!!

My Aunty lived about an 80 mile drive from my Grans and when she died she was there quicker than most of the other local family who were at work. She did the same, took what not in the will plus some that were then pleaded ingnorance. She even brought sacks with her to pack up the coal and loaded it into her car boot.

• Sad
My cousins father in law won the lottery, a little under a million pound. The first thing he bought was a pair of trainers from marks and Spencer’s, he had never been able to afford decent shoes before so it was a real luxury to him. After getting some guidance he purchased a few properties for his children but they all insisted on paying rent to him for them. He’s a very humble man and he has never forgotten where he came from.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Someone I knew from the pub won about £6 million, they moved out of the area, no idea what they’re doing now.
Friends parents won £1 million, they treated all family members (huge family), my friend still in same job just drives a Range Rover and has a comfortable life.
Hubbys colleague won postcode lottery, couldn’t of happened to a nicer couple, got just enough to be able to pay mortgage off and both retire a few years early.

A relative of a relative won around £30 million. He turned into an absolute prick apparently, mind you everybody disliked him before he got rich, however he was always very nice to me, my brother couldn't stand him back before he was rich but dislikes him more now. I've only heard stories about him and none of them good (I only see him at family events, maximum 3 times a year) like I said he's always been nothing but nice to me, even when I'm avoiding him he always makes the effort to find me and my husband, asks about us all, spends a good 30 mins chatting away to us, just normal down to earth kind of stuff. I remember the initial 12 months of him winning everybody was fawning over him as time went by, they all had nothing but horrible things to say about him.

Don't know who to believe, my brother is generally a miserable git doesn't like many people, others probably didn't get what they wanted out him so maybe that's why the say nasty things about him. But, they also spend more time with him, more than I ever have, so they might be right.

I know someone who won about £80k on online bingo and then won another £50k a few months after. They used it for a deposit on a lovely house.

My friends mum won the pools back in 80s. I can’t remember how much but it was way before the lottery began and it was an amazing amount of money.

My uncle used to play the Irish lottery and was won about 8 4 figure amounts. I seem to think they’ve change the format and be stopped playing.

We had a work syndicate, it wasn’t religiously every week but when there was a rollover or two or one of the lotto “special events” we used to collect the money of who wanted in, get the tickets at lunch time picking all Lucky Dips, photocopy them so everyone had a copy to take home and used to joke that the ones who didn’t want to participate would have loads of extra work loads when we all involved quit on the spot the following Monday 🤣 There was one week which was a Euromillions extra large jackpot, can’t remember why, it wasn’t a rollover, probably just a bonus week or something. I wasn’t in work that day but received a text message asking if I wanted in and I said yes and said I’d bring the £2.50 for the ticket in on Monday and asked them to send a picture of the photocopied tickets on WhatsApp later. As it was a big jackpot I also bought one myself with the numbers I pick when I play. Anyway, my numbers didn’t turn up (surprise!) so I asked for a picture of the photocopied tickets. “Oh, we didn’t get them today but gave XXX the money and she said she’d get them after work and bring them in on Monday” which I thought was stupid as she had only worked there for about a month and we didn’t really know her even though she seemed nice enough.

She phoned in on Monday morning and said she wasn’t coming back. Never saw her again…

I checked the results and there were 2 jackpot winners. 1 outside of the UK and 1 in the UK… I like to think she just took our money (as in what we had paid for the tickets) and run but it was only a total of £22.50 so…🤔

• Wow
Reactions: 7
No but a few years ago I use one of them welcome bonuses on loads of bingo sites, all together spent £30 and must have won about 2000 over all the sites Within 2-3 weeks,
remember Once a family member saying they won the lottery and within minutes family he never spoke to were adding him on fb and all sorts. So if I ever won I’d not tell anyone

Never tell a soul ... honestly, even the most trustworthy of friends will either expect money from you, or blabber to others.

The best thing you can do is, meet with a financial advisor. Go to someone who knows what they're doing - someone who specifically mentions that they deal with lottery / inheritance amounts. If it takes time to find someone like that, then put the money on term deposit at the bank for six or 12 months. Don't put it in your everyday transaction account.

Hold off buying anything to begin with - sure, treat yourself with some new clothes or a night away somewhere - but be cautious about drawing attention to yourself.

Reactions: 8