Have you ever/do you know anyone that has won big on the lottery?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve just bought a ticket for the rollover and I’ve spent at least 30 mins writing a list of what I’d buy if I won 🤣

have you ever won a big amount on the lottery? Or know anyone that has? I’ve always wondered how people react when they find out they’ve won big. I think I’d have a heart attack TBH 🤣

*the most I’ve ever won is £30 🤷‍♀️🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
I know someone who won about £80,000 (it was the National Lottery but can't remember which draw). They bought a computer and sofa, then put the rest away for a rainy day. The person seems to have a lucky streak because quite a few good things have happened to them in the past couple of years!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I know someone who won about £80,000 (it was the National Lottery but can't remember which draw). They bought a computer and sofa, then put the rest away for a rainy day. The person seems to have a lucky streak because quite a few good things have happened to them in the past couple of years!
I just can’t imagine being told you’ve won that much money it blows my mind 🤣 I was chuffed with winning £30 🤣🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 9
When it first started by dads friend won 250k, I remember a story about him trying to buy a new car merc or Audi something like that and the staff paid no attention to him so he went across to Mazda and brought a brand new car there and then!! Him and his wife split up not long after the win though 😬

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I won £10 and the woman at the kiosk said it was the biggest win she had seen in a long time. Says it all 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 13
My dad won about £100 way back when the lottery first started for matching 4 numbers. His other 2 numbers were each one out from the winning numbers, so they were 17 and 40 for example and the winners were 18 and 41. He said that was clearly as close as he was ever going to come, and never did another lottery ticket again 😂😂😂

I knew someone whose brother won about 2million, the guy I knew was a millionaire several times and the brother was the poor relation, but at least this evened the balance a bit!

There were also rumours that a local family had a lottery win, my kids went to school with theirs at the time and the family suddenly moved from their normal 3 bed semi to a big detached house in one of the best roads in the next town along from us (the house would have cost 1-2mil alone). They also started driving really flash cars, gave up their jobs and started their own business. They never said anything though.
I don't know if they've spent all their money now as one of the kids (now adult) was messaging mine last summer asking to borrow £250 (despite not having spoken to him for 5 years!) - my son said no :)

• Haha
Reactions: 4
My friends mum won £1 million. She quit work via text 🤣 she’s in her 60s and it’s so well deserved; she’s a fab woman and so lovely!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
Couples usually don't seem to have much luck together when they've won the lottery. So many couples/spouses split/divorced not long after winning.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
When I was in primary school in the 80s, the mother of a boy in my class won £10,000 on a scratchcard which was a lot of money 30 years ago.

I honestly think MIL has won money and just hasn't told us (well, told ME to be more specific) She's constantly telling us that she's "Only a poor widow now with my pension" :rolleyes:, but five minutes later she's getting a team of builders in to put in a whole new kitchen, redo the bathroom, landscape the garden etc.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
My neighbour won ten grand on a scratch card in the early 00s, not a MASSIVE amount but considering we live in a v poor area & she didn’t work she was in her oils. She blew it really quickly - because she moved away to a nicer/posher area then regretted it as she missed everyone and came back, buying back the home she’d left in the first place

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
An old school friend won a million on the lotto while she was at uni. Her and her bf quit their part time job so they could concentrate on their degrees. They’re married now and have their own business.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I know of someone who won hundreds of thousands in the '90s, invested it all wisely, but otherwise lived like she always had. She's well set for life - has a very sensible head on her shoulders.

I fantasise about all the luxuries I'd buy if I won big, but in all honesty I'd probably put my winnings in a term deposit for 12 months and take my time to decide how to spend it. I've been really, really poor (living in my car, stretching a tin of baked beans to last a week, poor), and would never, ever want to be in that situation again so would definitely think wisely before I spent anything.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Years ago I started a new job, the woman I was replacing left because she won $7m.

A friend of mine used to work with a man who won €3m.

I rarely play the lottery but when I do I convince myself I'm going to win big 😂 I think about all the people I'd share it with, how I'd surprise them and how I'd spend it myself of course 😉

• Wow
Reactions: 12
Years ago I started a new job, the woman I was replacing left because she won $7m.

A friend of mine used to work with a man who won €3m.

I rarely play the lottery but when I do I convince myself I'm going to win big 😂 I think about all the people I'd share it with, how I'd surprise them and how I'd spend it myself of course 😉
Wow, I'd be hoping by sitting on her chair it would bring me luck! (y)

Reactions: 3
I imagine no matter how much you give some people it would never be enough. I’d be so tempted to keep the win to myself and emigrate without telling anyone 😂

Reactions: 10
I imagine no matter how much you give some people it would never be enough. I’d be so tempted to keep the win to myself and emigrate without telling anyone 😂
That's definitely the way to do it ...

From what I've seen in my family's behaviour when loved ones have died - the sense of entitlement has been astounding when it's come to wills - I honestly would not tell a soul.

I have won £450 three times on the Hotpicks, but that was some time ago. I have won loads of little amounts over the years.

I knew someone who won £10,000 on the Health Lottery. Lovely as that amount is, it wouldn’t last me long. 😂

If I won the jackpot, depending on how much, I would only tell one person initially. Then once I had got my head around it, I would start buying some property that I have my eye on, starting with one of my neighbours. Make them an offer they cannot refuse and that would be one irritant out of the way. 🤣

• Haha