Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

peachhes

VIP Member
I know someone who won about £80,000 (it was the National Lottery but can't remember which draw). They bought a computer and sofa, then put the rest away for a rainy day. The person seems to have a lucky streak because quite a few good things have happened to them in the past couple of years!
I just can’t imagine being told you’ve won that much money it blows my mind 🤣 I was chuffed with winning £30 🤣🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 9

1001 others

VIP Member
I imagine no matter how much you give some people it would never be enough. I’d be so tempted to keep the win to myself and emigrate without telling anyone 😂
That's definitely the way to do it ...

From what I've seen in my family's behaviour when loved ones have died - the sense of entitlement has been astounding when it's come to wills - I honestly would not tell a soul.

Reactions: 8

Choco88

VIP Member
My mum (lot of years ago) always put the same numbers on the lotto as her sister , they put it on themselves and one day the numbers came out it was around £120k , now you can imagine how much money that was 20 years ago ! So my mum rang my auntie her sister to tell her and my auntie that day hadn’t put the number on so my mum been my mum she gave half to her sister.. to then months later my auntie was renovating her house and my mum thought no way could you have holidays new car etc with the 60k she found out that my auntie HAD put the numbers on she kept the £120k PLUS the half my mum gave her!! How bad is that they never fell out or nothing either still very close now
Omg that’s awful 😳

Hevs75

Friend of my husband won £6.4 million about 13 years ago, he was nice enough but it brought him and his wife a whole load of misery, he retired (in his 30's) and promptly become an alcoholic (he'd always been a heavy social drinker), his wife who was his partner at the time, it was her ticket, so that caused arguments between them however they did get married and had a big wedding, iirc they had a black and white theme, I think she wanted it be like the Beckhams. Her family just kept wanting more and more money, whatever she gave them it was never enough. He returned back to work after a couple of years, I know they built a house but my husband lost touch with him and have no idea what they are up to now. I sometimes wonder did it bring them any happiness at all?

• Sad

peachhes

VIP Member
I’ve just bought a ticket for the rollover and I’ve spent at least 30 mins writing a list of what I’d buy if I won 🤣

have you ever won a big amount on the lottery? Or know anyone that has? I’ve always wondered how people react when they find out they’ve won big. I think I’d have a heart attack TBH 🤣

*the most I’ve ever won is £30 🤷‍♀️🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha

1001 others

VIP Member
Never tell a soul ... honestly, even the most trustworthy of friends will either expect money from you, or blabber to others.

The best thing you can do is, meet with a financial advisor. Go to someone who knows what they're doing - someone who specifically mentions that they deal with lottery / inheritance amounts. If it takes time to find someone like that, then put the money on term deposit at the bank for six or 12 months. Don't put it in your everyday transaction account.

Hold off buying anything to begin with - sure, treat yourself with some new clothes or a night away somewhere - but be cautious about drawing attention to yourself.

ClockworkDolly

VIP Member
I have won £450 three times on the Hotpicks, but that was some time ago. I have won loads of little amounts over the years.

I knew someone who won £10,000 on the Health Lottery. Lovely as that amount is, it wouldn’t last me long. 😂

If I won the jackpot, depending on how much, I would only tell one person initially. Then once I had got my head around it, I would start buying some property that I have my eye on, starting with one of my neighbours. Make them an offer they cannot refuse and that would be one irritant out of the way. 🤣

• Haha

HockyRorror

VIP Member
We had a work syndicate, it wasn’t religiously every week but when there was a rollover or two or one of the lotto “special events” we used to collect the money of who wanted in, get the tickets at lunch time picking all Lucky Dips, photocopy them so everyone had a copy to take home and used to joke that the ones who didn’t want to participate would have loads of extra work loads when we all involved quit on the spot the following Monday 🤣 There was one week which was a Euromillions extra large jackpot, can’t remember why, it wasn’t a rollover, probably just a bonus week or something. I wasn’t in work that day but received a text message asking if I wanted in and I said yes and said I’d bring the £2.50 for the ticket in on Monday and asked them to send a picture of the photocopied tickets on WhatsApp later. As it was a big jackpot I also bought one myself with the numbers I pick when I play. Anyway, my numbers didn’t turn up (surprise!) so I asked for a picture of the photocopied tickets. “Oh, we didn’t get them today but gave XXX the money and she said she’d get them after work and bring them in on Monday” which I thought was stupid as she had only worked there for about a month and we didn’t really know her even though she seemed nice enough.

She phoned in on Monday morning and said she wasn’t coming back. Never saw her again…

I checked the results and there were 2 jackpot winners. 1 outside of the UK and 1 in the UK… I like to think she just took our money (as in what we had paid for the tickets) and run but it was only a total of £22.50 so…🤔

• Wow
Reactions: 7

Tommyb

Chatty Member
I know someone who won £500k. She has never worked a day in her life and treats her children appallingly. She bought a house for £375k that needed alot of work. Never got the work done and spent the rest of scratch cards and gambling. Now she doesnt have 2 pennies to rub together and they are back in council accommodation.

• Wow

CBellanna

Couples usually don't seem to have much luck together when they've won the lottery. So many couples/spouses split/divorced not long after winning.

• Sad

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
My neighbour won ten grand on a scratch card in the early 00s, not a MASSIVE amount but considering we live in a v poor area & she didn’t work she was in her oils. She blew it really quickly - because she moved away to a nicer/posher area then regretted it as she missed everyone and came back, buying back the home she’d left in the first place

• Wow
  • Sad

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
Not the lottery but with premium bonds we won £325 in our first year holding them.

My aunt has been playing the lottery for donkey years I remember her spending £80 in one go once. She asked my cousin's 4 year old son for numbers two years ago and every single one of them actually came up. The thing was that she didn't use the numbers!

• Wow

Ruby’s mum

VIP Member
A friend of my brother won £50k on a scratch card about twenty years ago. Really nice guy, the first thing he did was to book a trip for his elderly mum to go back to Jamaica to visit family she hadn't seen since leaving many years earlier. Someone my husband used to work with was part of a jackpot winning syndicate years ago. I think they won around £200k each. They paid off their mortgage, wife took early retirement. Didn't change them at all.

• Heart

I got 5 numbers on the lottery once, thought I was well into big money, was thinking I'd get money put into a house, yeah turned out 5 numbers got me £1700 😑😑 if I had had 31 instead of 30 I'd have landed 31 million, freaking one number out was the difference between 1700 hundred an 31 million 😭😭 plans for a house went out the window that day 😂

I did get 3 numbers on the Irish lottery though once, I pick 3 numbers an put a fiver on it an it got my £3500, so put it all into taking me an my folks to orlando for two weeks, I did need to add some more money but it paid the bulk of it, my mum does £1 on her 3 numbers an it's £700ish which is not bad
Oh my - for 5 numbers I’d have thought at least £100k!! I can only imagine how gutted you felt! Still £1700 is better than a slap in the face but still…😱

Reactions: 6

Warpaint

VIP Member
Never tell a soul ... honestly, even the most trustworthy of friends will either expect money from you, or blabber to others.

The best thing you can do is, meet with a financial advisor. Go to someone who knows what they're doing - someone who specifically mentions that they deal with lottery / inheritance amounts. If it takes time to find someone like that, then put the money on term deposit at the bank for six or 12 months. Don't put it in your everyday transaction account.

Hold off buying anything to begin with - sure, treat yourself with some new clothes or a night away somewhere - but be cautious about drawing attention to yourself.
Sounds like Mafia code for when they've done a big robbery.

"Don't tell nobody nothin', then after a few weeks when the heat dies down go meet Tommy 'the advisor' Cabello down at the Ruby Red club and he'll make all your money clean"

• Haha

SavetheDrama

VIP Member
My dad won £10000 on a scratch card about 20 years ago.
We were delighted, went on a holiday and he gave me £1000 to spend however I wanted.

I also know somebody who won the equivalent of roughly £3 million with the lotto when I was very young. He was a good friend of my dad’s and always found a way to avoid paying for coffee, lunch, etc. Guess that’s how he stayed rich 🤣

Sorry i know this is an old thread but I played the euro millions last night as they were making 100 millionaires via the euro raffle. Anyway, before I realised I hadn’t won I googled if I could retire on £1million at the age of 40…turns out £1million would generate £2500 interest a YEAR! All my dreams were shattered!
If you won a million, you’d probably put some of it in a high yield investment account, with regular savings % you’d make no money off it.

Just here to say

Chatty Member
I won about 110£ on the national lottery last year. It was weird because I knew I'd won something before the numbers got announced, I kept saying that I don't know how much yet. Nothing big BIG but the biggest I'd ever won anywhere.

I split it with my mum and gave the tenner to my younger brother lol

• Heart