Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

JeanneLou

The more I think about the Gayle King remark - I just can’t understand what she was thinking? Old age is natural causes, illness is a natural cause. Did someone finally off Phil the Enforcer at 99 so he didn’t get his telegram? Words fail.
Not trying to let her off the hook in the slightest - she's done enormous damage. This one MAY be cultural (partially, at least): in the States every obituary ive seen mentions the cause of death. I'm originally from there, but my husband's English, and when we visit, he'll sometimes scan the obits. He's the one who pointed it out - things like "... died age 105 of pulmonary trouble...". Never, ever, have we seen one stating "old age". Quite bizarre, really! But it may be so ingrained in them that if a cause isn't mentioned, it's odd so they question it. Speak first, engage brain later.

Reactions: 7

peradetlic

VIP Member
As I heard of Philip’s death, I thought that H&M(DissPissers) might choose Phillipa.
But then PippaMids got there well in advance.

Were Bebe2be a boy, then they might have got Philip.

H: ‘Woe, woe, woe & fifthly woe is me’
M: ‘whaazaaaap Haz?’
H: ‘We got ourselves a girl baby, what now ?’
M: ‘Look, we agreed. A female infant to be Doriana. That’s the plan’
H: ‘But, but, but...’
M: ‘Hazza, no waffles...’
H: ‘Oh! A girl it is then’
M: ‘Good boy’.
Sugars in the other place has Artemis (Greek parallel for Diana)

• Haha

JeanneLou

I do think Penny Romsey was a companion for Philip and was close to him. Whether or not she is invited is a different story. I agree that it is probably written up who’s on the list as such but it is intriguing to speculate!

Agreed. She was a great companion for Philip especially in the later years at Sandringham
If I was the family, I wouldn't invite her unless it was Prince Philip's expressed wish. There were many rumours over the years and her presence could - could - encourage them further.

• Sad

ResidentMerkin

VIP Member
Definitely. I mean, the most generous possible interpretation is that she's just thick as mince. Anyone less munificent than that is going to assume she just took a deliberate swipe at a grieving 94 year old widow, and is therefore a what Freda says.

edit: just wanted to add that anyone wanting to leave a message of condolence can do so via the royal website thingy:

Time to weite to CBS!

OiOiNoseyParker

I’m thinking they won’t even do it over zoom due to if the link gets leaked or it gets recorded and leaked later on
Possibly but I doubt the York girls would leak it if they can't come...

That said, it could be hacked I suppose.

Reactions: 6

Cocobaby09

VIP Member
So who do we think the 30 will be. Me and my mum were guessing last night

The Queen
Charles and Camilla
Anne and her husband
Andrew
Edward and Sophie
William and Kate
Harry 😡
Peter
Zara
Beatrice
Eugenie
Louise
James

I left partners out for grandkids except for Kate. That is 17 and only The Queen, children and partners and grandchildren.
Princess Margaret's son and daughter too? Plus Duke and Duchess of Kent.

Reactions: 6

Murakami

@Murakami
In the last month or so, much has been made about the decision to broadcast the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s interview with Oprah Winfrey, as the Duke of Edinburgh lay ill in hospital. But it was another interview, given by Prince Harry to James Corden a few days before, that revealed the most truth about the close relationship between Prince Philip and his grandson.
“Both my grandparents Zoom,” said Prince Harry at the time. “We’ve Zoomed them a few times, they’ve seen Archie running around. My grandfather, instead of, like, pressing ‘leave meeting’, he just goes doof.” At this point, Harry laughed, as he mimicked his grandfather slamming down the laptop lid. “I’m like, OK, bye!”
That insight did not generate the excitable, scandalous headlines of the Oprah interview a few days later, but it did show how close Prince Harry has continued to be to his grandparents, despite rumours of a ‘royal rift’. It was an anecdote that pointed only to a generational gulf that many families will have experienced during the pandemic; and yet the Dukes of Edinburgh and Sussex had plenty to talk about when technology permitted, and they were in contact until the end.

If there was a fissure within the royal family, it most certainly wasn’t between Harry and his grandparents – he revealed to Oprah that the Queen and Prince Philip were not behind the racist remarks discussed during the interview.
Prince Harry’s intention with Oprah was never to hurt his grandparents, only to explain why he chose to move and step back. And it is unlikely that the unflappable Duke of Edinburgh – veteran of the Second World War – was much bothered by the interview with Winfrey. The Queen’s late consort had seen a multitude of family tragedy before he had even reached adulthood – a mother committed to a psychiatric hospital, a sister killed along with her children in a plane crash. One imagines that recent events rather paled in comparison for the stoical Duke.

Philip and Harry attend a Christmas Day church service in 2017 CREDIT: AFP
Besides, there was an unshakeable bond between grandfather and grandson, born partly from their joint passion for the military. Both had served in the British Army during wartime; it was the Duke of Edinburgh who introduced Prince Harry to the Guinea Pig Club, an incredible organisation of which he became president in 1960. Set up in 1941, the Guinea Pig Club was made up of RAF Second World War veterans who suffered extensive injuries after being badly burned when their planes were shot down.
Led by surgeon Sir Archibald McIndoe, they underwent pioneering plastic surgery, paving the way for medical research and groundbreaking operations ever since. A new version, called the CASEVAC Club, after its members who experienced ‘casualty evacuation’ when they were seriously wounded in Afghanistan or Iraq, was created in 2017. On VE Day last year, it was Prince Harry who appeared on The One Show to highlight the work the organisation does. "Those individuals who signed up chose to serve and then had life-changing injuries, [but] they didn't stop there,” said Prince Harry of veterans involved in both clubs. "It's incredibly impressive and at the same time so incredibly uplifting."
On Friday, Air Vice-Marshal Chris Elliot of the RAF Benevolent Fund paid tribute to Prince Philip. “He was the President of the Guinea Pig Club… [they] were stoic and resilient in the face of great danger and adversity – qualities The Duke admired and shared.”
Even stripped of his military titles, Prince Harry will be determined to continue the inspiring work of his grandfather. And the young Duke’s work with the likes of the CASEVAC Club and the Invictus Games may just end up being one of Prince Philip's most enduring legacies.

Tried to do the spoiler thing but cocked it up soz
Thanks so much! 💕

Reactions: 5

LolitaBlah

VIP Member
(off topic but you're girl is lost! I don't get the josephina baker part of the charlie hebdo sattire??? what did I miss?)

sorry 😣

Reactions: 5