Harry and Meghan #369 Lemony Smegxit-A Series of Unfortunate Events

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Who decides if a home schooled child is being taught by a person capable of teaching?
And what if the person intending to teach them is not capable of teaching?????
I don't know what happens in the states but here you notify the local authority of your intent to home educate. They will send (if they have any left) an inspector or adviser - who has teaching qualifications - to do a home visit, discuss the curriculum you are planning to deliver, check there's a decent workspace for the child, etc. That should be an annual thing. But if parents don't engage, or are out, or don't respond to the request for a visit, it's a very long process to do anything about it. From experience in a job I once did, in this country some parents will go off grid and unless there are real safeguarding concerns there's nothing can be done about it. Shockingly there is little difference in reality between how the TV licensing agency and the school inspectorate work in terms of legal duties and responsibilities.

• Wow
Reactions: 23
I don't know what happens in the states but here you notify the local authority of your intent to home educate. They will send (if they have any left) an inspector or adviser - who has teaching qualifications - to do a home visit, discuss the curriculum you are planning to deliver, check there's a decent workspace for the child, etc. That should be an annual thing. But if parents don't engage, or are out, or don't respond to the request for a visit, it's a very long process to do anything about it. From experience in a job I once did, in this country some parents will go off grid and unless there are real safeguarding concerns there's nothing can be done about it. Shockingly there is little difference in reality between how the TV licensing agency and the school inspectorate work in terms of legal duties and responsibilities.

So a parent can say they are home schooling and if they don't teach the kids anything or teach them badly nothing gets done about it?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
So a parent can say they are home schooling and if they don't teach the kids anything or teach them badly nothing gets done about it?
In theory if the education being provided is considered unsatisfactory, then the LA can say so and advise the parents to reapply for a school place. But I worked in an LA for several years and I can't remember a single instance where, if parents didn’t want to engage, legal action resulted from the process. Generally speaking in this country the parents who go down the Home Ed route are dissatisfied with the system (SEN is often a factor here) and are sometimes already lawyered up and LAs have to be absolutely sure of the evidence they have. And they also need to be sure they can offer the Home Ed parent something that is a viable alternative. In the case of SEN there is a massive shortage of provision, so that's not always the case.

Reactions: 19
I'm not a fan of Andrew Tate but he was spot on about H
Tate’s full of his own importance and likes the sound of his own voice but, as the saying goes, ‘it takes one to know one’ so yes he was spot on about H.

Reactions: 21
duck me, the posture... it's giving me back ache just looking!
Something repulsively predatory about it . . . .
---
Found this on twitter, not seen such a long version of it.

Certainly explains why her clothes always look like they need a good seeing to ironing. Do that when you're wearing linen and you'll NEVER get the creases out!

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Who decides if a home schooled child is being taught by a person capable of teaching?
And what if the person intending to teach them is not capable of teaching?????
Hazno had access to the finest educational institutions in the UK - he is a dunce.
ILBW had an expensive education - she is a dunce.

Like all things they do, it'll be outsourced - the wee flatpacks might learn how to use an allan key and put themselves together.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
I know people disparage Wallis, but she genuinely had style and charm. She knew how to behave, too. If she had become Queen(!), se would have behaved with decorum. Everybody would have sneered behind her back, but publicly, I don't think she would ever have put a foot wrong.

And as a human being, I think she was a much nicer person than the Queen Mother.
True, she was styley, and she had pugs, so a bit of a thumbs up from me there, but I reckon both she and the Queen Mum were pretty ghastly characters.

Reactions: 26
Completely OT (cause I’m doing the wash) but the last two years my fav cousin has sent me Linen dish towels on my birthday. Every time I wash them they just get softer & softer! Wrinkled linen is a witch when it comes to clothes (as Smegs proves) but for towels it’s awesome!! :::back to folding::::
My sister raves about linen tea towels too! I just have old school checkered cotton mix ones that don't show stains too much... ps dish towels v tea towels, example of cross-channel speak there.

Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.