Harry and Meghan #124 shoes might have a lift, but he's still married to the kween of grift

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is what I can’t get my head around. Even the very mention of race makes you racist? It’s that awful, awkward thing where you need to describe someone without alluding to their very apparently ‘different to all others in the surrounding area‘ skin colour: “Her over there in the orange jumper. With the blue jeans. And the brown bag.” Where you both know had you just said “the black girl”, theyd have known immediately. Why is it wrong to state the fact that someone is black or asian or indeed white?! Which goes both ways!! Should I visit a mainly black country, I’d fully expect them to label me as white, to point me out, because that’s what I am!

No wanting to offend anyone (it seems this disclaimer is required at all times these days!), just trying to understand why calling a black person black is wrong.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
It's my birthday 🎂🥳 that's what 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Sat downstairs on my own trting to catch up with 20 pages of tattling whilst 10 yr old sulking...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ME X
Happy Birthday!

The truth is that British people aren't generally racist.
However, they can often be classist. Kate Middleton dealt with this in a far worse way than Meghan.
What Meghan wants to call 'racism' was in fact classism (and her own inappropriateness) but she doesn't want to admit that she is anything other than some sort of elite.
Absolutely.

That fairly recent Tatler cover article about Catherine being a good example. Weren't there rumours about people in Meggy's camp possibly having some sort of involvement in it?

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
The dictionary definition of exotic is “unusual and exciting because seeming to come from far away, especially a tropical country”. Human beings notice difference, noticing difference is in our bones, and although it’s one of the things we are being encouraged to “forget” in this brave new world, most of us know this on a very deep, unspoken level. Nobody will ever convince me that anyone using this word is “attempting to slide racism into the conversation”, because individual intention matters a great deal - despite what the critical race theorists would have us believe.
Absolutely. Intention matters hugely. If I say something to someone and they feel insulted, that's horrible and I'd be sorry. But it doesn't mean I insulted them, if I hadn't meant it as an insult.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
It's a no-brainer. I don't know why this requirement isn't already in effect.
I'm afraid I really can't agree with you that it's a "no-brainer". I sympathise with the good intention. The overwhelming majority of us are appalled by nasty racist tweets. It's natural to feel "something should be done about it" - but though we can agree there is a problem, I feel strongly that this is the wrong solution. It requires a degree of censorship - a sacrifice of our freedom of speech, which has been a bulwark for centuries against state oppression and dictatorship. Censorship involves someone else judging your words and labelling them as racist or not. Just look at the debate on here about "exotic" and you start to see how oppressive that could be. A sledgehammer to crack a nut, with all kinds of horrible and unintended consequences.

Personally, I think the best solution is for the majority of us to drown out the ugly, jarring voices which try to undermine and divide us. I love the Marcus Rashford wall, with messages of love and support plastered all over the racist slurs. The other attraction of this approach is that we each have it in our power to do this - rather than calling for someone else to do something about it with still more legislation.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 36
They need a pr team to help them create projects because they can’t and yet there is still only one podcast after 7 months . Not even a team can help them be likable or pretend talent .

Reactions: 25
This is what I can’t get my head around. Even the very mention of race makes you racist? It’s that awful, awkward thing where you need to describe someone without alluding to their very apparently ‘different to all others in the surrounding area‘ skin colour: “Her over there in the orange jumper. With the blue jeans. And the brown bag.” Where you both know had you just said “the black girl”, theyd have known immediately. Why is it wrong to state the fact that someone is black or asian or indeed white?! Which goes both ways!! Should I visit a mainly black country, I’d fully expect them to label me as white, to point me out, because that’s what I am!

No wanting to offend anyone (it seems this disclaimer is required at all times these days!), just trying to understand why calling a black person black is wrong.
A few years ago I was working as a contractor at a large hospital serving a very multicultural population. I was asked to attend a meeting of disgruntled patients by my line manager. When reporting back I mentioned a comment one patient made, and mentioned her by name. My (black) manager asked 'which one is she?' I was within an inch of saying 'the black lady', which would have been useful as she was the only black person in the group. Then I balked and said 'the one who is also a midwife here'. Didn't help at all, because my manager didn't know that about her.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Hello Everyone. Thank you so much for the good wishes. We're both still feeling crap and I've sent for the home tests for Covid. Should be here tomorrow.
I want to say something about needing proof of identity before going on social media. My comments are about the UK. At the moment we're heading towards a fascist state and I don't say that lightly. We're being told how to think, what we can say, what our opinions should be. If we don't fall in line, we risk losing our jobs and livelihoods. In fact, we're already seeing that happen.
As I've said before, I fought in the Twitter trenches in the early days of the Terf Wars. I was banned from Twitter as a result. Other women did lose their jobs and the majority of people had to hide behind a pseudonym because of the risk to their job and the danger to their families. One woman had photo's of her children's schools published on line with threats to herself and her kids. Others were arrested and held at police stations. One man was contacted by the police who said that they wanted to check his 'thinking'. The police officer threatened to report him to the HR at his place of work. He owned his own business so this wasn't much of a threat but what if he had been employed by someone else? All of this happened because women stood up for their SEX based rights.
This is serious. If we cannot have anonymity online, we lose all chance of being able to express our views and opinions in areas that matter. Serious areas.
If the price we pay for that is having to see horrendous racist/sexist/homophobic etc views, then so be it. Let them say it. If we see it, we can argue it, we can prove them wrong. We can show that the majority of people don't think like that. If we don't allow it, then those people go underground. We can't see it, we can't argue it and we can't prove that the majority of people don't think like that. Freedom of Speech is one of the most valuable rights we have and we cannot afford to lose it.
Okay, I'll step down from my soap box now. The lecture is over and I'm going back to bed. Hope I haven't offended anyone but if I have, tough.
Thanks again to everyone who sent well wishes.

• Heart
Reactions: 91
Happy Birthday @hanid4now 🎂 🥳

A few years ago I was working as a contractor at a large hospital serving a very multicultural population. I was asked to attend a meeting of disgruntled patients by my line manager. When reporting back I mentioned a comment one patient made, and mentioned her by name. My (black) manager asked 'which one is she?' I was within an inch of saying 'the black lady', which would have been useful as she was the only black person in the group. Then I balked and said 'the one who is also a midwife here'. Didn't help at all, because my manager didn't know that about her.
And this is a problem for every non-PoC - you need to be a verbal extortionist when on occasion the simplest way to identify someone would be to describe their skin colour, in much the same was as you'd say "the guy with blond hair" if they were stood with a group of brunettes.

Does that mean that if we're not officially a PoC (although as I said before I identify as such because of the 'out of Africa' theory of human evolution) then we're colourless?

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Good Morning :)

Happy Birthday @hanid4now 🍰 🎂 and Tattle!

Hope you feel better soon @Cassandra333 x

I'm loving my little blue party hat, it's quite jaunty on my head - some may even say it looks a bit exotic!
When I was a silly teen, my friend and I used to called lots of things 'xotic and tropical. That was our go to phrase for anything unusual. I remember we were quite fascinated with those plastic cups that contained glitter and water - they were 'xotic and tropical, glitter and fish and everything!

• Heart
Reactions: 27
The truth is that British people aren't generally racist.
However, they can often be classist. Kate Middleton dealt with this in a far worse way than Meghan.
What Meghan wants to call 'racism' was in fact classism (and her own inappropriateness) but she doesn't want to admit that she is anything other than some sort of elite.
Yes to the classism point; 5 years in this country has been eye-opening. Your description of Smeg fits my experience of many British as well. We, as a family, seem to be excluded from the scrutiny as we're not Brits so nobody's expecting us to fit the usual pigeonholes. Blessing and a curse I guess.

And can I just say, how refreshing it is that the Harkles have shut their mouths at least momentarily.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
So off topic, but so so so what?
Such clear minded folk are we.
This ain’t MN (other online forums are available) & long may the clear differences stand.

Such a relief to be in with clear minded, plain speaking reasonable people.

I bid all of you a very good day, & for those of you unwell or under the weather a swift recovery to good form.

BTW, those two are still what Frieda said.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 37
Hello Everyone. Thank you so much for the good wishes. We're both still feeling crap and I've sent for the home tests for Covid. Should be here tomorrow.
I want to say something about needing proof of identity before going on social media. My comments are about the UK. At the moment we're heading towards a fascist state and I don't say that lightly. We're being told how to think, what we can say, what our opinions should be. If we don't fall in line, we risk losing our jobs and livelihoods. In fact, we're already seeing that happen.
As I've said before, I fought in the Twitter trenches in the early days of the Terf Wars. I was banned from Twitter as a result. Other women did lose their jobs and the majority of people had to hide behind a pseudonym because of the risk to their job and the danger to their families. One woman had photo's of her children's schools published on line with threats to herself and her kids. Others were arrested and held at police stations. One man was contacted by the police who said that they wanted to check his 'thinking'. The police officer threatened to report him to the HR at his place of work. He owned his own business so this wasn't much of a threat but what if he had been employed by someone else? All of this happened because women stood up for their SEX based rights.
This is serious. If we cannot have anonymity online, we lose all chance of being able to express our views and opinions in areas that matter. Serious areas.
If the price we pay for that is having to see horrendous racist/sexist/homophobic etc views, then so be it. Let them say it. If we see it, we can argue it, we can prove them wrong. We can show that the majority of people don't think like that. If we don't allow it, then those people go underground. We can't see it, we can't argue it and we can't prove that the majority of people don't think like that. Freedom of Speech is one of the most valuable rights we have and we cannot afford to lose it.
Okay, I'll step down from my soap box now. The lecture is over and I'm going back to bed. Hope I haven't offended anyone but if I have, tough.
Although I knock MN as a nest of the earnestly offended & effortful commentors, the forum is a haven during the Terf Wars by vigorously defending & supporting sex based rights. For that alone, it’s worth the hard work ploughing through the insufferably wokieness. I’m here for the craic.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Hmmm, I don’t think Maureen O’Hara would be impressed with her new hat - not really her style! 😁

• Haha
I love this post and whole heartedly agree 💗

I am very opposed to censorship and being told what to think. Those that agree are moving into the Harkles camp of 'no criticism allowed'.
E5DrkRcWQAA2KKS.jpeg.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Good Morning :)

Happy Birthday @hanid4now 🍰 🎂 and Tattle!

Hope you feel better soon @Cassandra333 x

I'm loving my little blue party hat, it's quite jaunty on my head - some may even say it looks a bit exotic!
When I was a silly teen, my friend and I used to called lots of things 'xotic and tropical. That was our go to phrase for anything unusual. I remember we were quite fascinated with those plastic cups that contained glitter and water - they were 'xotic and tropical, glitter and fish and everything!
I don't now when you were a "silly teen " but hearing the word exotic tends to remind me Wayne and Wayneta (blast from the past) when they have their new baby
(words are at end of clip)
The slobs having a baby - YouTube

• Haha
“Exotic’ is a trigger for me as it brings back a very unhappy time of my life.

I’m bog standard white British, it was 1990 and my then fiancé (wedding venue booked) returned to London from a conference in that there Murica having had his head turned by one of the other delegates, a white American girl from what I now know was a bog standard American upbringing. He declared undying love, wanted still to be engaged to & marry me but couldn’t promise to stop seeing her. I threw him out.

I was lunching with his best buddy to find out more…as you do… and I asked why he though said fiancé’s head had been turned. “Well it’s the lure of the exotic isn’t it? Different continent, different accent. different background etc”.

Which just underlines, as we’ve all been saying, that one person’s ‘exotic’ can be a million miles away from another’s. I’m long over him but that word has haunted me down the years and I never use it. (It lasted six months before he dumped her, but not before she’d given up her job & moved to London. I’d moved on by then).

To keep it on topic I’ll just say the pair of them behaved like that other pair of what Freda says. Except M & H are probably nicer.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 44
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.