Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Warpaint

VIP Member
The Greggs in my town had to stop putting out sandwiches on a morning because people were just running in and nicking them straight off the shelves. Have to ask what they've got behind the counter now.

Crazy place at times is old Greggs.

• Wow
Reactions: 4

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
Love a cheese pizza slice from Greggs. It’s not the finest pizza in the world and I’m sure 10 years ago they used to be better, but I still enjoy them and the price isn’t too bad.

Tried a vegan sausage roll when they first came out and wasn’t overly impressed but if they’ve changed the recipe since I may have to give it another go.

Reactions: 3

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
Greggs tends to have different things depending on which part if the county your are in. So Manchester tarts in Manchester, Tottenham Cake in London etc. Poundbakery is definitely more popular here though. There is always a queaue outside even in normal non Covid times!

no-no

VIP Member
I always preferred Sayers and Waterfields growing up, there weren’t many greggs and I never liked them that much anyway. When I spent some time in Greater Manchester I discovered Greenhalgh’s and loved their cheese pies and cream cakes. Now I’m vegan I’m thankful for the few vegan options Greggs have 🙏🏻 I practically survived on their sausage rolls on a weekend break to the lakes.

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
If you like Greggs then you really should try out PoundBakery. Similar to Greggs but everything is a £1 and there seems to be a lot more choice.

• Heart

moimoi

VIP Member
Haven’t forgiven them for stop doing ham and pease pudding stotties (if you’re from the North East you know! 😋)

katt

I live in Australia and for some reason I really wanted to visit Greggs in the UK, mainly for their cheese and onion bake, When I eventually visited in (2019) it did not disappoint. The first morning we where in Edinburgh, we had breakfast just a simple sausage bap and some other bits it was very nice and cheap. The thing we fell in love with was these strawberry tart things, they were small but they had pastry with a custard filling and strawberry on top with some sticky red stuff, they were about 70 pence each or you could buy 6 for 3 pound, me and mum ate so many of those tarts. Anyway the cheese and onion bake was nice however when they first handed it to me it was very cold I must of look confused however the lady serving me said wait there are some fresh hot ones coming out of the oven and she let me keep the cold one as well. ( I since found out they do not keep their bakes warm because of I think VAT reasons) However we did try loads of things from Greggs in the month we were in UK, we just loved it.

• Heart

Lobby

I live up north where's there's a greggs on every street so I go quite a bit 😂

I love the sausage bean & cheese. But I agree with others that theyve not been very warm in the last year or so, cold beans are grim, so I sometimes take it home to reheat. Same with chicken bakes, used to proper love them but had a few cold ones and make me feel sick now.

The pizza slices I feel have gotten worse. Does anyone remember when they did the pizza baguette slices? They were incredible, no idea why they changed.

I do like the coffee too, prefer it over most big brands like Starbucks, cafe Nero ect.

Plus the sausage sarnie got me through my very nauseous pregnancy. Had one nearly every morning.

sasuss

Don't like anything from Greggs myself.. Got my son a pasty once, noticed the nails of the woman who served me... They were long and there was so much black dirt in her nails we had to bin it as soon a we got out. I very very rarely eat out, because the not knowing how the food is prepped is a red flag for me (my husband works in the food industry and the stories he tells would horrify you)

• Sick
  • Wow

WilmaHun

VIP Member
Gregg's do need to sort out the temperature of baked items. For me it is definitely a big negative of the chain.

For example, if you are lucky you may get a hot pasty fresh from the oven. Otherwise you have to make do with a lukewarm, or cold one from the front counter.

I know they don't keep food warm due to the 'pasty tax', although how much more expensive would it be to provide piping hot ones? You can walk into many Sainsbury's and Tesco stores and pick up a piping hot baked item for a reasonable price.

Why not at Gregg's?
I must be a weirdo cos I hate when I go to greggs and get something which is piping hot, I think they taste better lukewarm 😂

Reactions: 2

Louisej3

VIP Member
Sausage rolls, pizza, the Mexican sandwich, I think at one point there was wedges in some sauce, triple chocolate muffin, yum yum, donuts

• Heart

Guitarwarrior

VIP Member
They’re okay if I’m desperate. Their vegan sausage roll is edible but I’m not really a fan of pasties. The main thing is that I’m veggie so options are limited anyway. Sweet stuff wise the doughnuts are great same with the Belgian buns. But they need to be fresh rather than when they’ve been out for a while.

But if I want baked goods I generally go to somewhere Independent and local . Where I live there’s been a small local chain around for years that most locals use over greggs a way. There was quite a lot of people upset they opened up here and were worried that these locals stores would suffer

Tublet83

VIP Member
They need to bring back ham and pease pudding stotties!

Greggs tends to have different things depending on which part if the county your are in. So Manchester tarts in Manchester, Tottenham Cake in London etc. Poundbakery is definitely more popular here though. There is always a queaue outside even in normal non Covid times!
Here’s the regional differences (probably out of date due to rona)

jawidjanqndn

VIP Member
Currently on 4/9 drinks on my greggs app. I have been getting the pumpkin spiced latte which is lovely

Blue pumpkin

VIP Member
I wish they'd bring back the London cheesecake

I've heard Aldi do them but I don't have an Aldi anywhere near me
😔
filename-greggschscake.jpg

Last edited:

orlyb1310

VIP Member
The cheese ploughmans oval is really nice if its too hot for a pasty. I find they use really nice quality salad in greggs.