Greggs bakery

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What do you find good and bad at Greggs?

I used to be a bit snobby about them when I was younger. Thought they were chavvy etc. But they're a massive convenience for work and I tend to use them a fair bit.

I find all the baguette sandwiches decent. Any other sandwich though isn't great, the bread just isn't that nice.

The sausage rolls are pretty nice. Good flavour

Pizzas are diabolical

Didn't think much of the vegan sausage roll after all the hype but apparently they've changed the recepie now

I've not ventured much into their sweet stuff so don't really know if it's any good. Willing to give it a shot though. Think I've had the doughnuts in the past and don't remember them being too bad.

Reactions: 1
I like the cheese and onion pasty and the steak bake. I always got one of them anytime I visited England. But thankfully Iceland sells them as well 😋

I like their donuts, I haven’t had one for a couple of years but there was a Greggs right next to my old workplace so I would go there most days for donuts lol

While I like the baguettes I do also find them a bit too tough sometimes? The roof of my mouth will be sore after

Reactions: 4
I like their donuts. If you download the app ‘too good to go’ you can get a whole bag of Greggs goodies for like £3 that would otherwise be thrown away at the end of the day 😋

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I do like Greggs for a cheap lunch. I like their coffee, it's drinkable unlike a lot of other machine coffee. I like their cheese toasties, baguettes, sausage rolls and yum yums. Oh and chocolate muffins. I don't like their doughnuts, I find them very oily tasting.
My favourite bakery is Simmons, they have the most amazing jam doughnuts, and do a great pastrami in focaccia sandwich. Wenzels is a close second, they have the most incredible cronut type things and giant fondant fancies. My husband loves the vegan patties.

Reactions: 7
Chicken bake 👌🏻 Also the vegan sausage rolls are amazing & I’m a meat eater.

Greggs are often on too good to go app too, had a massive bag of sandwiches, pasties & cakes for £2.79. Definitely worth a try if anyone has it available to them.

Edited as noticed it’s already been mentioned 😳

Reactions: 6
Steak bake and a yum yum for me, oh and the mint hot chocolate at Christmas time 😍

• Heart
Sausage rolls, yum yums, london cheesecake and the Mexican chicken oval bites are my favourites

I LOVE their vegan sausage rolls, as a meat eater they‘ve converted me and I now try more vegan stuff in my diet. I also love the tomato and feta pasta although the sauce is a tad rich. My favourite quick lunch from them is their spicy chicken bites though, they’re lovely!

I find their sweet stuff quite dry although I suppose that depends on how long the food has been on display before you buy it… the little child sized iced cakes and chocolate covered biscuits, very dry. The doughnuts are meant to be really nice there apparently but I haven’t had any of those in years.

Reactions: 2
Sausage cheese and bean pasty for the win. And I won’t hear otherwise. Absolute delicious.

Since they had a make over the one near me is hardly ever stocked. They used to have a counter that took up a fair bit of room and you had to queue but it was always stocked and the place was super busy. Now they’ve tried to go a bit up market and put seating in there is less room for the food, which they always seem to be out of stock of. Such a shame.

Sayers every time over Greggs! But I’ve never seen them anywhere else except for Merseyside! Can anyone confirm if they have them by you?!

• Heart
They don’t sell bread!! I went in and asked for a load of bread they looked at me like i had lost the plot.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
They’re okay if I’m desperate. Their vegan sausage roll is edible but I’m not really a fan of pasties. The main thing is that I’m veggie so options are limited anyway. Sweet stuff wise the doughnuts are great same with the Belgian buns. But they need to be fresh rather than when they’ve been out for a while.

But if I want baked goods I generally go to somewhere Independent and local . Where I live there’s been a small local chain around for years that most locals use over greggs a way. There was quite a lot of people upset they opened up here and were worried that these locals stores would suffer

There's loads of Gregg's in Newcastle City centre , and every town in the North east seems to have at least 1. If there isn't a Gregg's , ,its probably a village.

Reactions: 5
My biggest gripe with Greggs is that the food in their front facing 'hot' counters is always lukewarm at best. Where you get items such as Pizzas, bakes, pasties, etc.

So although it is great you can get a slice of Pizza and Coffee for around £2 after 4pm, it is usually barely hot.

I've discovered that Greg's bake food then allow it to cool off in those cabinets, as so to avoid paying the 'pasty tax'.

Would it really cost a huge amount more for items to be served hot?

The other option is to wait for things to come out of the oven.

Reactions: 5
Ooooh the pizza slices 🤤😋 I don’t go to greggs any more as I don’t live near one, but I liked the cheese and onion slices, the glazed doughnuts and baguettes 🤤🤤🤤

• Heart
I hate that almost everything contains milk so I can’t eat anything in there. I’m not vegan, just lactose intolerant.

I love the new cheese and qourn ham baguette, toasted. 😍 It costs more to toast though. 🤔
Also, the mint mochas are really good. It's a shame they cant have a soy milk option unless it's regular coffee and tea.