Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

House of Tea

VIP Member
It was a feat of engineering as well as sublime sewing. Not only was the actual reveal spectacular, the two dresses, and in particular the green one, were just amazing. She is an artist. She knits complicated jumpers too. So talented. And that’s just her hobbies - it’s not as if her day job is easy and unpressurised.

Reactions: 17

Ndrangheta

VIP Member
I loved the inclusive of Esmes past career all through this series.Gave the whole series so much personality and celebrated a true genius who was really a trail blazer for women in the 80’s and nineties.
She still is a trailer-blazer blazer don't you think? Compared with 99 percent of the no-marks we see on our TV screens. Give me Esme all day long.

• Heart

Loubywoobywoo

Chatty Member
He is the reason I endure Sara Pascoe's awful jokes! He is so handsome.

I'm glad Assma won in the end. Based on that transformation she was by far the best!
Joe Lycett was definitely a better fit for the role than Sara, as he made daft jokes, but with a childlike joy and he seemed really interested and invested in the different garments, challenges, techniques and contestants.
Patrick is indeed very easy on the eye.
Does anyone remember the first ( couple of?) series when May Martin was a judge? I think she was a designer/buyer for Selfridges, but she was pretty dull. I remember she wore a lot of brown dresses or skirts and jacket combos and wasn’t very encouraging or kind in her critiques to the sewers!
Esme, on the other hand, is awesome! I love her outfits that look like a parrot, a peacock and a disco-ball mated, she can be snarky/funny but her critiques are always fair and not worded too harshly.

• Heart

Stillwater

VIP Member
I quite like Fauve.

Yeah I think they’re going down the GBBO route of outré challenges that most will struggle to perfect. I like watching people succeed more than the fucking up dramas/ content editors clearly live for,

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart

House of Tea

VIP Member
Why do these programmes need a comedy presenter - Sewing Bee, Bake Off, Pottery Throw Down and all the other rip offs? Why not just a presenter who can do the odd witty comment like Claudia?

Reactions: 16

MrFMercury

Chatty Member
Whispering Gillie annoyed me from day 1, bondage person needs to broaden this themes a bit, Tony might explode before and certainly when he leaves, postman is trying just a bit too hard on the quirky thing and Asmara just makes beautiful, stylish clothes. Like the rest she makes the sort of stuff she likes but doesn’t make a part of her personality and preferences into her entire being.
But generally I don’t have any opinions one way or the other 😂

Actually I do always love the way they help each other out. The Beeb need to be careful the tasks don’t become ridiculously impractical and lose the core of what makes this show so watchable to start with.

Also, Patrick - I so would given half a chance. Just saying.

• Heart

Mark81

VIP Member
I think this is why Asmaa is so classy. She's obviously making things more modest than the others. I guess in line with her views but I've not heard her say it whereas it's all Matthew talks about. Representation is quite rightly important but I think if you can't make the clothing say your message and need to back it up with the story for it to be obvious then it doesn't work as a design/concept. I hope he's out soon because there are better sewers.
I agree. I also have an issue when people take it upon themselves to be the representation for a whole demographic.

Just go in, be you, do your thing. But don't act like you're there for others or some sort of poster person for a group of people.

TriviaNewtonJohn

VIP Member
I like Damian. I don't really find him cocky - he's confident but he knows he's not the best.

I don't really have a favourite at the moment. I think this week's show was tough but they were all impressive.

Patrick, Esme and Joe make this show brilliant. They're all so good at what they do and so watchable on this.

• Heart

Stillwater

VIP Member
That was such a horrid challenge really in as much as crochet isn’t meant to be treated or used like that. I felt it was rather anti the theme as well, given they took good blankets out of the second hand market and turned them into items that aren’t likely to be worn, plus the waste from cutting 🤷‍♀️

Using the handmade gifted baby blanket seemed a bit brutal. And Patrick dissed those sleeves.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 15

Lostcat

Chatty Member
I crack up every time Esme casually notes that she made film outfits for Leonardo diCaprio or Ewan McGregor, or she spent most of 1974 zipping around Camden Town on a motorbike in between partying with Bowie et al. (I suspect the most interesting parts of the latter anecdote would not be able to be broadcast on the BBC at 8pm 😋).

My money is on a Brogan, Debra and Cristian finale. Cristian hasn't had much of a focus so far, but he has been reliably good, and I felt for him this week and the previous, I felt both his clown costume and country music outfit were pipped to the post for first place in their respective challenges.

emmer_moans

VIP Member
UK Tattlers! On iplayer all the past seasons of Sewing Bee have magically appeared! I only started watching last series so I think I am going to go back and watch series 1-5 😊

• Heart

Captainmouse

VIP Member
The green dress reveal was stunning, I'd wear that dress.

Poor Mia though, I think nerves got to her.

I couldn't get my head round all the hammocky concealment parts, my brain doesn't work that way 😂

I didn't like any of the transformations again though 😂

And I think the fabric Asmaa and Tony chose for the victoriana dresses was cheap looking baking foil 😂

But all in all a good show.
Mia only started sewing in lockdown, huge achievement

Willow9999

Just watching on catch up now so not reading ahead but not 2 minutes in and yer man has already mentioned a crocheted harness. FFS. He grinds my gears!

• Haha

House of Tea

VIP Member
Mia wearing last season Gyles Brandreth! He has made so much money from that sweater design. Princess Diana wore it too.

Loved Aasma’s dress. Worthy of garment of the week. The rest of the designs left me cold this week. It’s funny how things change. I would have put money on Lizzie lasting longer than Tony but she had a mare this week.

Goes off to look at ages.
---
So I would have put Fauve at 34, she’s 26. And Lizzie at 57, she’s 49. Sewing ages people, all that squinting.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14

FatherJackHackett

Chatty Member
I really enjoyed this week (def helped by the 90s music on the show too). Asmaa's dress was immense 😍 One of the best made to measures I have ever seen on the show.

orangelolly

Chatty Member
I think it's unfair of Esme to say she doesn't like the colour of Rebecca's dress when that's the colour of the parachutes provided.

Sea

VIP Member
I watch it to see skill not life stories and representing abc.

And I don't care about any Nans. Stop wheeling out the Nans, this isn't x factor

• Haha

Lostcat

Chatty Member
Not for the 1st time

Dafuq is Sarah wearing
I defended her last week, as that cream silk blouse was beautiful, but this week was just mental, I'm not sure what she or her stylist was thinking, it radiated strong "Mummy Has Given Up And The Toddler Has Dressed Herself Today" energy.

Esme looking so very gleeful when she realised poor Vicky had fallen into the sneaky trap of mens' trenchcoats buttoning left-over-right was cruel but hilarious, kudos to the cameraman for capturing her evil grin.

I would 100% wear Asmaas' slinky jumpsuit to a night out, and 100% wear Tonys' camo jumpsuit on a walk with small children, all those massive pockets would be such a godsend, you could fit everything in them and not have to bother with a handbag or rucksack!

• Haha