Great British Sewing Bee

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Where have I seen Julie before? She's definitely been on something else.

Reactions: 1
Where have I seen Julie before? She's definitely been on something else.
Not sure but I know what you mean, I feel like I've seen her or someone similar to her on something.

Spoiler for episode 1, if you haven't watched yet perhaps skip:

2 of the contestants cried because they didn't finish the dress. Considering they source their own fabric and choose own pattern for the Made to Measure task, you'd think they might practice making a toile version at home under a time limit, to make sure they can do it?

I want Raph's glittery wing t-shirt. Its the sort of mix of simple and glam that suits me as a 5ft 3inch angular type woman (**)
I like that Serena took inspiration from Villanelle (one of my pet rats is called Polastri)
Adina's trouser idea was great but the execution not so much with the vag arrow
I love Joe Lycett and he ties with Vicky McClure for 'person on the telly I most want to be friends with'
Any observations I am likely to make are going to be short, obvious and in list form.

**just like last year I will want to make stuff based on the show when really I have a half-made playsuit maquette to eventually be made from one of my old sarees I wore for a friends wedding. I ought to just crack on with that but I keep knobbing up the rouleau strap and it has become my nemesis.

Reactions: 3
I want Raph's glittery wing t-shirt. Its the sort of mix of simple and glam that suits me as a 5ft 3inch angular type woman (**)
I like that Serena took inspiration from Villanelle (one of my pet rats is called Polastri)
Adina's trouser idea was great but the execution not so much with the vag arrow
I love Joe Lycett and he ties with Vicky McClure for 'person on the telly I most want to be friends with'
Any observations I am likely to make are going to be short, obvious and in list form.

**just like last year I will want to make stuff based on the show when really I have a half-made playsuit maquette to eventually be made from one of my old sarees I wore for a friends wedding. I ought to just crack on with that but I keep knobbing up the rouleau strap and it has become my nemesis.

Great post ☺ I'm a lockdown sewer, and watching last year's Bee got me buzzing for it. I actually had a shell top on my list of things to try next, have not yet done button holes as my previous makes have been wrap skirts and drawstring smock dresses. I also need to tackle the dreaded zip soon.

I liked Raph's wing top too, looks really comfortable.

I really enjoyed it. Another nice bunch of contestants and fun challenges. Garment the day was lovely! I was surprised people did not finish as they were able to practice. The one with white broderie Anglaise and hadn't thought about a lining 🤔 Rookie mistake.

Reactions: 3
I need to catch up on episode 1, it clashes with our Circle US group watch 😂

Look forward to joining you all in the thread and discussing the latest fashion faux pas 😂

Reactions: 2
Great post ☺ I'm a lockdown sewer, and watching last year's Bee got me buzzing for it. I actually had a shell top on my list of things to try next, have not yet done button holes as my previous makes have been wrap skirts and drawstring smock dresses. I also need to tackle the dreaded zip soon.

I liked Raph's wing top too, looks really comfortable.
I am going back almost 20 years to the last time I sewed an invisible zip in school *but* I don't recall it being too ghastly. Maybe I have blocked it out. Maybe I hid in the fabric cupboard and made the long suffering class assistant do it.
Either way I hope yours does not become dreaded! The playsuit has a back zip so I too will soon find out if I have been making up my memories!

I love this programme so much, it’s just so comforting and wholesome. Discovered it in lockdown and looked forward to the first episode of the new series - it didn’t disappoint. So far I like the french man (didn’t catch his name!), Rebecca and serena. I also quite liked the older lady from Yorkshire and the one who made clothes for her cat cause they seem a bit zany and I’m here for it 😂

Reactions: 6
I love this programme so much, it’s just so comforting and wholesome. Discovered it in lockdown and looked forward to the first episode of the new series - it didn’t disappoint. So far I like the french man (didn’t catch his name!), Rebecca and serena. I also quite liked the older lady from Yorkshire and the one who made clothes for her cat cause they seem a bit zany and I’m here for it 😂
Same here, discovered Sewing Bee last year. I think the French guy's name is Raph. I loved the lady's face when she saw that cat tshirt. She was so happy!

Reactions: 5
French guy is cute and has a certain je ne sais quoi(see wot I did there😜) re his style.
Damien got on my tits, storming in like a bull in a china shop trying to prove this was a doddle ... putting the machine on fastest setting and utterly messing up the first two challenges with his cockiness. His third was good. Clearly he gave himself a good boot up the bum.
The burlesque woman was very laid back and felt like she was just there to showcase herself rather than her sewing.
I like both young girls Serena and ? They did well.
Jean, the irish woman, seems unhinged to be honest.(sorry Jean😘) I can't be doing with jazz hands and over exuberance. Or cats.Even her cat seems embarrassed by her.
I felt so so sorry for the ones who had meltdowns. Sewing in front of a camera crew with a time limit is hella different to sewing at home with no pressure. The harem pants with the red crotch was hilarious😂. Patrick was dying trying to compose himself.
Great start to the series, especially with covid throwing a spanner in the works.

The right person went.

Reactions: 6
I have never seen this show before but watched it last week and now I'm hooked for the series! THAT skirt abomination was a terrible crime of butchery & I cannot believe he didn't go for that alone!!

Reactions: 5
Love this show. I would never have picked Joe Lycett as a presenter for a sewing program but he's brilliant. The young scottish girl - can't remember her name - was fantastic, her dress was gorgeous.

Reactions: 7
I really thought that Damien would be first out and think he only stayed because the other 2 women did not finish their dresses. Imagine being his girlfriend going out in his home made dresses and they fall apart when you go to the loo. :ROFLMAO:
Wish I had all the jewellery Esme wears, fantastic necklaces, must start my beading again.

Reactions: 4
Episode 2: I think the right person left this time.

I loved the paper bag shorts - maybe one day I will have a go at making some myself. I like Serena’s fabric choices - so far the colours and patterns are exactly what I would choose too.

I loved the polka dot dress and while Jean was the right person to go her last dress was really beautiful. God I wish I could make clothes 😩