Grammar Pet Peeves

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
“We should of went there today”
“We should off bringed him” (that hurt to even type)
“His got this for he’s birthday”
“End off”
“This women is the best mother ever”

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I prolly shouldn’t say this but you lot was quite funny when you say, like ,its wrong with the way what I speak.
Of cause you lot think like you speak kind of proper but I know lots off people who could of told you that you is just to fussy.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2
A new one I've spotted while trying to avoid all the Black Friday ads is people typing palate or pallet when they mean palette.

As in 'I've just been gifted this AMAZING eyeshadow pallet' makes me wonder just how much eyeshadow a person can possibly need...

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I'm seeing more and English people using the word 'Mom'. Several people I know say it when referring to their Mum and they're the most Northern people I know 🤣🤣 why?!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I am usually not that bothered about grammatical errors, but it irritates me when teachers make them. Your greengrocer’s apostrophe and incorrect use of “their” isn’t the end of the world, but at least take extra care when you’re working with kids. They’re trying to learn from you!

I am usually not that bothered about grammatical errors, but it irritates me when teachers make them. Your greengrocer’s apostrophe and incorrect use of “their” isn’t the end of the world, but at least take extra care when you’re working with kids. They’re trying to learn from you!
in primary school, our teacher taught the whole class - kids aged about 6 - that the word "friend" was spelt "freind" - to the point that if we spelt it correctly, she would actually cross it out with red pen and alter the spelling. eventually, it was noticed by our parents, who - while waiting in the playground to collect us - must have discussed the fact that their kid was struggling to spell "friend", and suddenly made the connection that all the children in the class had the same issue. 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Wow
Reactions: 5
in primary school, our teacher taught the whole class - kids aged about 6 - that the word "friend" was spelt "freind" - to the point that if we spelt it correctly, she would actually cross it out with red pen and alter the spelling. eventually, it was noticed by our parents, who - while waiting in the playground to collect us - must have discussed the fact that their kid was struggling to spell "friend", and suddenly made the connection that all the children in the class had the same issue. 🤦🏻‍♀️
I often hear primary school teachers saying things like "was you" no wonder literary standards are as they are!

My mother sends me text messages that grate on me in the most unbelievable way. She never used to speak like this but she has picked up these bloody awful lazy language habits it drives me NUTS.

“was you…?” “She don’t normally…”

I cannot stand it, it makes my skin crawl. If I’d tried to speak like that when I was younger she would have smacked me one. Sometimes she says she does it to wind me up - which irritates me even more, but I also don’t quite believe her.

Confusion of:

Lose/loose
Affect/effect
Advice/advise
Practice/practise

Using the word "jab" to mean "vaccine"

Not understanding when to use a capital letter. This is taught in year 2.

Reactions: 5
Has anyone else noticed that a lot of Australians don't know how to use apostrophes? I wonder if they just don't get taught the finer points of apostrophisation down there.

I keep hearing people say 'a' (prounounced 'ay') instead of 'an' when the next word begins with a vowel, for example: we're going to ay event tonight.
🙄

I keep hearing people say 'a' (prounounced 'ay') instead of 'an' when the next word begins with a vowel, for example: we're going to ay event tonight.
🙄
Similarly when people pronounce 'the' as 'thee' when it's not a word beginning with a vowel. Is this an American thing??