Grammar Pet Peeves

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My pet peeve is this trend of joining words together eg eachother, abit, ofcourse.

Also using breath instead of breathe eg ‘I am struggling to breath‘

And I’m sure @AliceInWanderLost will join me with this one - Tattle should have an eye role emoji but there are non
YES! forever hoping for the day that tattle introduces an eye "role" 😉 reaction, because it is most definitely needed! 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
This explanation is also incorrect. Smith's is not necessarily a contraction of Smith is; it can also be a contraction of Smith has or it can indicate the Saxon genitive, aka the possessive apostrophe. It's pretty clear that the poster was using it for the latter, and got the placement of the apostrophe wrong.

The verb to be is also used for far more than "something that Mr Smith or his family would be doing", but that's neither here nor there.
no more smith!!!!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
My pet peeve is this trend of joining words together eg eachother, abit, ofcourse.

Also using breath instead of breathe eg ‘I am struggling to breath‘

And I’m sure @AliceInWanderLost will join me with this one - Tattle should have an eye role emoji but there are non
I think that you meant to say none, not non, but 'there isn't one' would make more sense.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I think that you meant to say none, not non, but 'there isn't one' would make more sense.
sorry that was a bit of an in joke. Brummy Mummy is always saying ‘non’ instead of none.

Our you only aloud to comment on hear if you‘re grammer is prefiction?.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
"On Christmas" and "on the weekend".

I say "at Christmas" and "at the weekend".

Am I wrong? Am I unjustified in my loathing?

Reactions: 5
"On Christmas" and "on the weekend".

I say "at Christmas" and "at the weekend".

Am I wrong? Am I unjustified in my loathing?
On Christmas technically means just the 25th of December I.e. Christmas day as opposed to the whole Xmas period and on the weekend is American English, it annoys me how it is becoming increasingly used in the UK

Reactions: 1
This might already have been mentioned, but the use of ‘his’ instead of ‘he’s’😩🙄😡

‘His had his breakfast’

I follow someone on insta who does this constantly, in fact all her grammar is terrible, it drives me insane!

Reactions: 7
I don't see that one as much, thankfully.

On another note, I am finding the tabloids seem to be employing "journalists" who are not far off being illiterate. Many articles now are unreadble because the writing is so appalling.
Even so-called reputable papers have atrocious punctuation at times

Reactions: 5
Adverbs seem to be a thing of the past. 😕

For example, he ran quick down the road. No, he ran quickly down the road.

Reactions: 8
I'm sure this must have been mention before, but I absolutely hate when people say "I could care less", instead of "I couldn't care less". It makes me irrationally angry.

Reactions: 6
omg, in that new bank ad with David Tenant doing the voiceover, one of the women says, "Why does my card have no numbers on it?"

you really couldn't have worded that ANY better? ...for a bank with 56 million or whatever customers in the US? (i've seen the advert so many times lol it's clearly done its job)

I'm sure this must have been mention before, but I absolutely hate when people say "I could care less", instead of "I couldn't care less". It makes me irrationally angry.
THIS. the irrational anger is real! i genuinely don't understand how people don't realise that by messing up the phrase, they are saying the exact opposite of what they are trying to say! "i could care less!" - you very much COULD care less, meaning it is a situation/issue you DO care about. 🙄🙄

THIS. the irrational anger is real! i genuinely don't understand how people don't realise that by messing up the phrase, they are saying the exact opposite of what they are trying to say! "i could care less!" - you very much COULD care less, meaning it is a situation/issue you DO care about. 🙄🙄
there are SO many phrases where people do this, there is a true crime podcast I listen to by a couple of american women and they make mistakes like this ALL the time. Unless you are a nonnative speaker mistakes like this are ridiculous

there are SO many phrases where people do this, there is a true crime podcast I listen to by a couple of american women and they make mistakes like this ALL the time. Unless you are a nonnative speaker mistakes like this are ridiculous
Is it the crime junkie podcast by any chance? 😂

• Haha
Is it the crime junkie podcast by any chance? 😂
yes! how on earth could you guess? :ROFLMAO: i listened to it today and she made a mistake with a very basic verb as well :ROFLMAO: I don't know why I put myself through it sometimes

• Haha