Grace Beverley #3 Boss babe CEO, worlds locked down so off on holiday I go

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry but what she said on her story about how she will make an exception to support women owned fast fashion is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

She has built this entire brand on being 'anti fast fashion' but now says because she likes the owner of this brand she will support? I'd hardly say it's very women supporting considering the vast majority of people working in these sweatshops in awful conditions producing these garments are women themselves. In fact I'm pretty sure I've even heard Grace herself say that on a few occasions?

If she wanted to shop at houseofcb and had never preached at regular people for using similar brands it's whatever but to give that excuse makes absolutely no sense. Her hypocrisy isn't even slightly subtle at this point and she's just tangling herself up in this web of half-truths and half-formed opinions. Like I've seen people say before on here, this is the absolute embodiment of rich white girl 'feminism'

Gonna attach the receipt here

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Sorry but what she said on her story about how she will make an exception to support women owned fast fashion is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

She has built this entire brand on being 'anti fast fashion' but now says because she likes the owner of this brand she will support? I'd hardly say it's very women supporting considering the vast majority of people working in these sweatshops in awful conditions producing these garments are women themselves. In fact I'm pretty sure I've even heard Grace herself say that on a few occasions?

If she wanted to shop at houseofcb and had never preached at regular people for using similar brands it's whatever but to give that excuse makes absolutely no sense. Her hypocrisy isn't even slightly subtle at this point and she's just tangling herself up in this web of half-truths and half-formed opinions. Like I've seen people say before on here, this is the absolute embodiment of rich white girl 'feminism'
Crazy how there's something controversial she does every single day!!! I am so surprised she still has a such a loyal following. How are people not seeing through all of this

And you are so right about the "rich white girl feminism"

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Imagine making your predominantly teenage audience feel bad for buying fast fashion (just to profit off it by then directing them to your supposedly sustainable brand) to then go back on yourself completely to promote a brand that sells dresses for £200. She's completely out of it.

Reactions: 23
i’m sure the people making these fast fashion garments (for crappy wages in horrific conditions for extensive hours a day) understand grace’s exception! yeah feminism!

/s

Reactions: 11
She’s so transparent (ironic). She obviously said it because people are non stop asking and others are replying saying it’s house of cb which everyone knows isn’t a sustainable brand. So she’s saying it as if she’s bought them based on morals rather than just wanted it because she thought it was cute

Reactions: 14
Gonna attach the receipt here
"inspo x100 for concept and profitability"

doesn't that just mean grace wants to make as much money as conna? hun, you could've done that if you didn't back yourself into a sustainability corner, lol. one day Tala will drop the sustainability act so she can make more money, calling it now.

Reactions: 20
"inspo x100 for concept and profitability"

doesn't that just mean grace wants to make as much money as conna? hun, you could've done that if you didn't back yourself into a sustainability corner, lol. one day Tala will drop the sustainability act so she can make more money, calling it now.
Definitely. Implying it’s OK to support fast fashion if the brand is woman-owned is absurd; plenty of women are at the helm of businesses which underpay their workers and destroy the environment. I mentioned this earlier but she is again promoting the flawed idea that simply placing women (cough, rich white women) in CEO positions is somehow gonna solve structural inequalities.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Long time lurker on this thread. Dislike Grace since she became a bOsS bAbE - Just wanted to comment to say how smart everyone on this thread sounds, I read through the comments and my mind is blown ha

• Heart
Reactions: 19
One thing I’m interested in hear more about is the music curriculum at Oxford. I’ve studied music quite intensely since a young age, studied some in University but it was not my major. Once you learn music theory there isn’t much else to do that requires intense learning. You can learn different instruments but a lot of them are very easy to learn once you already know one. You can spend time to practice to become better but most musicians at that level have already practice for many hours and usually specialize on one or a few instruments.

I actually don’t even know if Grace can play an instrument or if she studied music for vocals, I’ve never seen her play an instrument or sing. But I just cannot even comprehend what all of her coursework would be? Like I said when you’re at that point of musicianship to be studying in Uni you would have already been close to mastering music theory, at least where I live.

She says she wrote all these thousands of words essays but on what? I could see her maybe having to write about music history, the psychology behind music, or the effect music has had on society, but I think that would classify as a history/psyc/sociology degree? Maybe Oxford leans more towards that in their music programs?

Everyone talks about how extreme the workload is at Oxford but I can’t even come up with music based curriculum that would be that extreme. Maybe it’s just different because I’m in the US but our typical music programs here are rigorous because students spend hours practicing their instruments, participating in different ensembles, teaching lower grade children, doing performances, studying non American music theory, and studying other general topics like math, science, history, foreign language, etc. Then a smaller majority of their time is spent writing papers on music history, impacts on society, musicians or whatever else music related. This would be different if you were studying history, psychology, sociology, philosophy with an emphasis in music, those majors would be much more focused on tasks like writing papers

Reactions: 9
It's all neoliberal, white feminist Sheryl Sandberg 'Lean In' bullshit which fails to take into account which women it is, in the first place, that are able to set foot in the boardroom. All that having more female CEOs accomplishes, without instating structural change, is optics. And this isn't even considering the fact that feminism has always operated as a critique of the dominant order (here, capitalism). Rather than opposing capitalism, this type of feminism restores faith in it; a way to promise potential detractors that feminism can exist in fundamentally unequal spaces without posing threat to them. As Nancy Fraser writes, "feminism unwittingly became the handmaiden of capitalism," epitomised by wealthy, white women like Grace. Essentially this is feminism neutered of its radical potential, serving instead to further entrench the structural inequities brought around by patriarchal capitalism.

Makes sense as I remember seeing that tit rag (Lean In) of a book on one of her shelves.

Definitely. Implying it’s OK to support fast fashion if the brand is woman-owned is absurd; plenty of women are at the helm of businesses which underpay their workers and destroy the environment. I mentioned this earlier but she is again promoting the flawed idea that simply placing women (cough, rich white women) in CEO positions is somehow gonna solve structural inequalities.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I actually don’t even know if Grace can play an instrument or if she studied music for vocals, I’ve never seen her play an instrument or sing. But I just cannot even comprehend what all of her coursework would be? Like I said when you’re at that point of musicianship to be studying in Uni you would have already been close to mastering music theory, at least where I live.
She can play piano and she was in a choir when she was younger, that gave her a small scholarship when she went to Oxford I believe.

Reactions: 1
One thing I’m interested in hear more about is the music curriculum at Oxford. I’ve studied music quite intensely since a young age, studied some in University but it was not my major. Once you learn music theory there isn’t much else to do that requires intense learning. You can learn different instruments but a lot of them are very easy to learn once you already know one. You can spend time to practice to become better but most musicians at that level have already practice for many hours and usually specialize on one or a few instruments.

She says she wrote all these thousands of words essays but on what? I could see her maybe having to write about music history, the psychology behind music, or the effect music has had on society, but I think that would classify as a history/psyc/sociology degree? Maybe Oxford leans more towards that in their music programs?

Everyone talks about how extreme the workload is at Oxford but I can’t even come up with music based curriculum that would be that extreme. Maybe it’s just different because I’m in the US but our typical music programs here are rigorous because students spend hours practicing their instruments, participating in different ensembles, teaching lower grade children, doing performances, studying non American music theory, and studying other general topics like math, science, history, foreign language, etc. Then a smaller majority of their time is spent writing papers on music history, impacts on society, musicians or whatever else music related. This would be different if you were studying history, psychology, sociology, philosophy with an emphasis in music, those majors would be much more focused on tasks like writing papers
Quite long to copy and paste the whole thing but https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/music# gives a bit more insight. From the recent podcast she did it sounds like she studied music in prisons and other sociology based aspects of music

Reactions: 3
She can play piano and she was in a choir when she was younger, that gave her a small scholarship when she went to Oxford I believe.
Yeah, also according to her linkedin, she did violin at the royal academy of music (but we've never seen her play the violin).

Lmao it's like if someone was like "omg i totally just want to support Asian-owned brands" and went straight to forever21 and shein. Yeah honestly at this point, she's starting to gross me out. She's performative af, her allyship is tokenistic, and she is a giant hypocrite.

It's all neoliberal, white feminist Sheryl Sandberg 'Lean In' bullshit which fails to take into account which women it is, in the first place, that are able to set foot in the boardroom. All that having more female CEOs accomplishes, without instating structural change, is optics. And this isn't even considering the fact that feminism has always operated as a critique of the dominant order (here, capitalism). Rather than opposing capitalism, this type of feminism restores faith in it; a way to promise potential detractors that feminism can exist in fundamentally unequal spaces without posing threat to them. As Nancy Fraser writes, "feminism unwittingly became the handmaiden of capitalism," epitomised by wealthy, white women like Grace. Essentially this is feminism neutered of its radical potential, serving instead to further entrench the structural inequities brought around by patriarchal capitalism.

Makes sense as I remember seeing that tit rag (Lean In) of a book on one of her shelves.
YES!!!!!! It's the same in politics - when women think that resisting gender inequalities = merely occupying high-ranking positions that men have always occupied only to perpetuate the conditions, which men created (easiest example being perpetuating war) rather than absolutely actively dismantling patriarchy (actively ending war to end the war crime of rape by soldiers). Some major white female (and women of color who aspire to be seen as equal to their white counterparts) politicians in the US and UK are easily war criminals. The "white" part of this feminism comes in because white women only see their oppression in tunnel vision because they have never had to experience being discriminated or oppressed for their skin color. So "oppression" is limited to not being able to occupy seats of power or capital rank - ideas of successes and achievements, which were created and conditioned by men. And because they are white / western, the concept of feminism and the struggle for it becomes centered around their experiences.

This is basically Grace. And her minions also think her idea of feminism is the end all be all and worst, they don't allow space for debate for other women who are unhappy and want to challenge their stereotypical comfort zone of thin, white, rich females boss babe squad.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
And what we’ve seen her play on the piano has been nothing to shout about really
I went to a Russell group uni and know a lot of people who did music. While I don’t know a lot about what they wrote essays on, they did spend a good chunk of time rehearsing, putting on performances, composing music. It does surprise me that, if this aspect is there in Oxford, she didn’t shout about it at the time

Hahahah hah her daily agenda for Monday is ridiculous
Also shock really vague, she loves saying the word meeting to sound important. When anyone in a job knows that meetings aren’t actually very productive. Sit and have a chat and take a few actions away from it.
her 2pm is probably “call with mon” and thought better scribble that out and look mysterious (no tbf it’s probably a cal for another PR interview to talk about a day in the life🙄)
Because of corona virus and everyone not being in the office, I have a daily 30 min optional meeting where people check in and discuss Stuff going on at work or just a general chitchat to make sure everyone’s okay. I also have a “meeting” with my friends at lunch that we all drop in occasionally to chat and complain about work because we’re not all in together and social distancing rules means even if we are, we can’t leave our designated area and eat lunch. I haven’t been to any of these meetings for a month because optional, some people who have duck all to do
Attend every single one.

it would not surprise me if some of the calls are like that for her 😳😳😳

Reactions: 8
And what we’ve seen her play on the piano has been nothing to shout about really
I went to a Russell group uni and know a lot of people who did music. While I don’t know a lot about what they wrote essays on, they did spend a good chunk of time rehearsing, putting on performances, composing music. It does surprise me that, if this aspect is there in Oxford, she didn’t shout about it at the time
Remember when she 'rented' a fancy looking piano into our house and we saw her play it once and never again. For someone who studied music in oxford, she's really not into it. Because if she was into it and could do anything musical, we would never stop hearing about it.

Remember when she 'rented' a fancy looking piano into our house and we saw her play it once and never again. For someone who studied music in oxford, she's really not into it. Because if she was into it and could do anything musical, we would never stop hearing about it.
omg her house not our :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Slightly off topic but I didn't realise House of CB was fast fashion? I thought Conna did stuff to help poorer societies (sorry for putting it crudely) as part of the brand or am I thinking of someone else?

Interesting article if anyone is interested. I'm off to dig a little deeper to see where there stuff is manufactured. I don't own an ly house of CB but it looks like she might be more sustainable than our lovely Tala.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I don't expect many people to read the article as it's really long. However it is an interesting insight in to the "boss babe" culture, and how having a woman in charge doesn't automatically mean inclusivity and a different culture that male owned company's. I also feel like grace wants to be like the boss in this.

so you can choose performance and composition modules but there aren't any compulsory ones after 1st year I believe. Music is quite varied at Oxford so it can basically be a sociology/history degree with very little actual playing of music, but its definitiely not a politics degree like she claimed recently.

you also have to be such a high level to do well in performance modules, so really would not surprise me if she just wasnt good enough

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.