Grace Beverley #15 Rags to riches, shows off her stitches, bestseller on amazon witches

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That is one of the shittest book titles I've ever seen. It's something my weird boss used to say, trying to be funny.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Screenshot 2021-04-21 09.28.45.png

Screenshot 2021-04-21 09.28.53.png

These two stories in particular were particularly annoying. First of all that she already thinks she is so amazing at writing and that her book is the best thing to happen ever, she very "humbly" brags about when she does something she does it properly and gives it everything. So any of her young followers (that have no doubt bought the book) reading that and are currently going above and beyond at work or school or whatever it is will feel like tit because they're not on her level of success.

Then that she bleeping compares herself to Gordon Ramsay. I know this is her attempt at being funny, she is just so bleeping unfunny it's incredible, I wanted to throw my phone in the trash when I saw that. She is "joking" but OBVIOUSLY based on her previous stories she absolutely thinks she knows enough about productivity that she compares herself with someone that's been working in their industry for over 20 years with the relevant expertise.

Sorry I know I'm going off on a Gordon Ramsay tangent here lol but Gordon has been a hard worker ever since he was a young dude. There are several documentaries on Gordon, and regardless of what you think of him, you can't deny how hard he works and how hard he's been working to get to where he is. Incredibly competitive and passionate for his craft, he truly loves the culinary world and I'm sure there are several hundred thousand chefs that are just as hard working as he is but aren't celebrities. (Just using Gordon as an example since Grace did.) He worked to get where he is on his own merit. Just so bleeping fucked off that this little tit compares herself to a person that is so opposite her in every way, especially with regards to work ethic. I am probably also extremely annoyed because she's someone that'll always get what she wants in life without much effort. Writing for 9 months isn't that much hard work if you compare to a real author without a massive following, she'll never know what hard work is unless all of this is taken away and she moves to a country where they've never heard of her.

Finally, if I were her, I would feel a bit weird that people are gushing over my book barely 15 pages in. All the stories are people that only just started and it's "literally the best book I've ever read" how can she take that seriously? That Sunday Times #1 best seller (it irks me that she writes sunday times in lower case) is just an indication to me that she plugged the tit out of her book prior to it launching, and has had a Macbook giveaway and recently she said she'd give away a full Tala set for sharing stories with her book or something. It's embarrassing but so bleeping annoying that this is adding more fuel to this massive ego of hers. Rant over lol

• Heart
Reactions: 64
Also lets face it, so many of the people fawning over her book on their stories are just doing it to get reposted by her so they can try and get clout for themselves

Reactions: 46
Okay, slightly off topic from the book convo but this is something that all fitness 'influencers' should address, which is their poses and stances.

Grace is doing a perfect example of this in her story to show off this hourglass shape which is not representative of how anyone stands normally. The push out of the bum to emphasise the stomach lines and the positioning of legs are such a classic pose for these Instagrammars to show off their body. Which is fine dont get me wrong, if no one posed in photos it would be a little strange! However, unlike other fitness bloggers etc I can't recall Grace ever showing her body on a 'bad day' or accounting for the fact her genetics are a large proportion of the reason that she is proportioned like this. I feel it falls in line with her failing to properly acknowledge her privilege to give her a boost up and there will be plenty of impressionable followers who strive to look like her, but can't because their body is made differently and when they have a bad day they cannot relate to Grace becuase she never exposes that side of her and I think it's such a shame. Body image issues are still such a prevalent issue especially with the bombardment of these supposed 'perfect bodies' and if she took the time to highlight these issues (not just with her choice of models which was applaudable when she first launched which she then has to be reminded on insta about regarding the homogeneity of the models on the feed) and acknowledge them.

I think I would view her a little better if she did take the time to address this but no, yet again, we are subject to her unattainable body. Not to mention her scar still looking a little worse for wear and the awful camel-toe inducing leggings she swears by.
Apologies for the loong post I just needed to get it off my chest, and sorry about rambles etc sometimes I just type, type, type!

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 31
It really makes me resentful to see how much of life influencers cheat their way through, simply because they happen to have a social media following.
Read: because they're conventionally attractive, physically fit and have money to spend on high end fashion... But that would make grace an influencer and not an intellectual business mogul! 😯

Okay, slightly off topic from the book convo but this is something that all fitness 'influencers' should address, which is their poses and stances.

Grace is doing a perfect example of this in her story to show off this hourglass shape which is not representative of how anyone stands normally. The push out of the bum to emphasise the stomach lines and the positioning of legs are such a classic pose for these Instagrammars to show off their body. Which is fine dont get me wrong, if no one posed in photos it would be a little strange! However, unlike other fitness bloggers etc I can't recall Grace ever showing her body on a 'bad day' or accounting for the fact her genetics are a large proportion of the reason that she is proportioned like this. I feel it falls in line with her failing to properly acknowledge her privilege to give her a boost up and there will be plenty of impressionable followers who strive to look like her, but can't because their body is made differently and when they have a bad day they cannot relate to Grace becuase she never exposes that side of her and I think it's such a shame. Body image issues are still such a prevalent issue especially with the bombardment of these supposed 'perfect bodies' and if she took the time to highlight these issues (not just with her choice of models which was applaudable when she first launched which she then has to be reminded on insta about regarding the homogeneity of the models on the feed) and acknowledge them.

I think I would view her a little better if she did take the time to address this but no, yet again, we are subject to her unattainable body. Not to mention her scar still looking a little worse for wear and the awful camel-toe inducing leggings she swears by.
Apologies for the loong post I just needed to get it off my chest, and sorry about rambles etc sometimes I just type, type, type!
Sooo true she'd say something like 'well obviously I don't look like this all the time, if you don't realise Instagram isn't a reflection of reality then you shouldn't be on social media' which puts the burden on her followers to see through her bullshit. It's because she wants you to think she is perfect and doesn't actually want to dismantle that image.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Yeah I think it’s a bit weird she’s so buzzing about the times best sellers list when it’s based on her followers buying literally anything she pushes

it’s more impressive when real authors get there because they’ve had to fight to get a review from a critic, relied on word of mouth of people reading and being impressed enough to recommend and keep building on that. So that eventually they’ve got enough traction, people buying for quality of book to push them to number one.

grace could advertise an unused pen still in ts packaging on her insta stories saying “this is the key to my success” and it would be Ryman’s most sold item of the day lol. This doesn’t say anything about your book

ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU BRIBED PEOPLE WOTH MACBOOKSAND TALA CLOTHES AND CLOUT. that is so far out the reach for any other authors you were competing with for number one spot 😂 laughable

• Haha
Reactions: 37
I will be deleting these soon but for anyone curious :

The intro

Some of her productivity tips

The part where she addresses her priviledge
In the Privilege chapter I had high hopes seeing 'I am from a family....' thinking she was going to finally be honest but nope it's 'I am from a family that never pushed me into a certain lane' 😐😐😐 also 'I grew up in London'. Way to skirt around the truth lol there's a big difference between where she grew up and some of the rougher parts of London

• Heart
Reactions: 38
In the Privilege chapter I had high hopes seeing 'I am from a family....' thinking she was going to finally be honest but nope it's 'I am from a family that never pushed me into a certain lane' 😐😐😐 also 'I grew up in London'. Way to skirt around the truth lol there's a big difference between where she grew up and some of the rougher parts of London
Also I hate when she leans on the “middle class” that does not te the picture AT ALL

• Heart
Reactions: 24
oof yeah, you could read all of this as 'fairly normal London gal who was lucky enough to get a scholarship and work her way into a top uni with hard work', rather than 1% millionaire family who could easily pay for her education with or without help, and the idea that music scholarships paid 'most of' her tuition is a blatant lie.

Also the bit about pocket money?? like yeah ok most parents won't give their kids tons of cash, just a bit to teach financial responsibility, but that doesn't mean she couldn't ask for things and have them bought for her, not to mention the kinds of gifts she would have got for birthdays and christmas, the multi-thousand pound family holidays several times a year etc...

• Heart
Reactions: 34
So helpful to me, a university student, when her number one tip is to delegate urgent tasks :) if only I could find someone to write my very urgent dissertation for me lol

who is this book for ??
I don’t think she thought about a target audience at all. A lot of it doesn’t apply to those still in education/recently finished; the advice that could be applied to working professionals I’m sure they already know (eg marking yourself out of office); self employed people probably couldn’t even afford to delegate their work. So out of touch with every audience 🤣

how ironic one of her tips is to use spell check when TALA has about 5 typos a day

• Haha
Reactions: 36
read the PDFs posted here (thank you PlsDontReportMe) and I can't believe what a load of absolute nothing that book is. There is nothing to pick apart because there's simply nothing there. Who does she want to be like what is this book's purpose? It's insane how far a good body and family wealth can take you in life.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Thank you for these pdfs, I'm going to have a better look later but had a quick look at the productivity tips and my couple thoughts:

- the quadrant thing with dividing your tasks into important urgent etc is the most basic tool ever, absolutely revolutionary from grace
- her example of time blocking showing "most people's schedules" vs time blocking - does she realise people in normal jobs can't just decide they're only going to have meetings at a certain time? BRB telling my boss I'm only taking calls between 2-4pm

• Haha
Reactions: 61
"How about putting on an Out-of-Office alert telling people you're focusing on offline work?" The only people I can imagine having the gall to do this are wanky startup founders! I can't ever imagine doing this, if something comes in at work I have to get to it not just ignore it for 'offline' work whatever that means

• Haha
Reactions: 39
Thank you for sharing!

I don’t think it’s the right approach to just “acknowledge” your privilege once, behind what is effectively a paywall. People shouldn’t have to pay to see a hugely rich person acknowledge just once that they had a big leg-up, especially when said rich person has a big online presence and is constantly expressing themselves to the public. She has countless pinned stories and posts declaring her opinions, feelings, and thoughts, so why couldn’t one of them address this?

Recognising your privilege is a way of thinking about your place in the world and in relation to everyone else, and your behaviour has to follow suit. As it stands, she blocks most people that (ask her to) talk about her privilege. She stands by as her PR team obscure information about her background on Wikipedia and in interviews. The privilege passage is better than nothing, but it doesn’t cancel out her past and present dishonesty on the subject

Last edited:
Reactions: 27
Thank you for these pdfs, I'm going to have a better look later but had a quick look at the productivity tips and my couple thoughts:

- the quadrant thing with dividing your tasks into important urgent etc is the most basic tool ever, absolutely revolutionary from grace
- her example of time blocking showing "most people's schedules" vs time blocking - does she realise people in normal jobs can't just decide they're only going to have meetings at a certain time? BRB telling my boss I'm only taking calls between 2-4pm
time blocking in uni by making your professors change the time of your lectures so you can focus on your grind 🔥

this book really only works for influencers and some freelancers. what are nurses going to do? a person working in retail? a chef? she tried to acknowledge her privilege but then forgets all about having it when writing these "tips".

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Re the Sunday times bestseller list. I haven’t read the critic article yet, but am thinking given she ‘debuted’ there it was due to pre orders? Next week I bet she’ll fall down that list.

Reactions: 10

I agree with everything you said, although I’m not a fan in general of the “posed/reality” kind of posts and I don’t think all influencers should have to do them, it becomes a problem for me when she’s using her own body (thanks to genetics as was mentioned in the previous thread) to sell her app 😤 especially when aimed at young women who already have body image issues as you said and genuinely believe that her 10 minute workouts will actually help them look like her

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.