Grace Beverley #14 delayed gratification is getting into Oxford on your gap year after being rejected once

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I ran out of things to watch on YouTube and this popped up from 3 years ago on suggested. 2 minutes in and she’s already said “I don’t like big branded logos across the front of my tops” and “£45 for leggings that is NOT cheap at all”

How opinions change when it’s making you more money 🤪

Attachments

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 62
So I ran out of things to watch on YouTube and this popped up from 3 years ago on suggested. 2 minutes in and she’s already said “I don’t like big branded logos across the front of my tops” and “£45 for leggings that is NOT cheap at all”

Watch this video get deleted now 😂

Also wouldn’t be surprised if she did get confronted with it, she would say something like “cheap and affordable are two different things” “I need to still make money!!!”

• Haha
Reactions: 29

Edit: “weird website - lots of scary spelling and grammar mistakes which makes me scared for my money” you can’t make it up 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 35

Anyone else get kinda nostalgic for this era of grace? She looks so pretty here and less like the tacky, greasy, hair-slicked back CEO boss babe that we now have to put up with

Reactions: 52
It's mentioned that it alarmed her parents that she didn't pursue a career in law after graduating and later that she still imagined pursuing the path into law after uni and starting two businesses. Am I missing something?? Did I miss that it's normal for people to become a lawyer after studying music at uni??
You can do a 1 year course called the GDL after any undergrad degree in the UK if you want to go into law. It’s technically possible to become a lawyer after doing a music degree but definitely not common!

Reactions: 12
Anyone else get kinda nostalgic for this era of grace? She looks so pretty here and less like the tacky, greasy, hair-slicked back CEO boss babe that we now have to put up with
I literally thought exactly the same, and I genuinely like watching her here for the most part

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I just watched the video as well (out of curiosity) and she also complained of leggings having threads loose, and leggings not really feeling like exercise material 🙄🙄🙄

Yeah she was definitely much more relatable and watchable then. She didn’t ramble on for hours without actually making a point either

• Haha
Reactions: 23
My dad gets the times and I’ve got the full article here for anyone who wants to see/read it. I deleted this before to try and get the image to post in better quality or as one of those attachment things but I can't work it out so maybe it'll look better on your devices but if not lemme know and I can try again lol
GRACE.jpg

A couple of things:
- I do to an extent understand the ‘idea that people who work a 40-hour week are lazy'. I've just finished uni and I do read a lot online in the way of "if you don't stay after 5 to do more work than others you won't ever get a promotion because you won't be seen to be working as hard as them", especially in the financial sector. I think it's pretty internalised though, that may be the way you are looked at in your company but no one outside of your job is gonna give a tit what time you leave work, and I've never heard of a pressure to have more than one job when you don't need to for the money.
- It's mentioned that it alarmed her parents that she didn't pursue a career in law after graduating and later that she still imagined pursuing the path into law after uni and starting two businesses. Am I missing something?? Did I miss that it's normal for people to become a lawyer after studying music at uni??
- I do think her book will be good but I really don't think the main focus should have been basically how to switch off because she's clearly unable to do it herself. Saying sometimes you have to say duck it and wind down for a couple of hours or days isn't helpful at all because that's literally what the weekend is for and the vast majority of people can't just say sorry boss I'm burnt out so I can't come in tomorrow.

Reactions: 20
My dad gets the times and I’ve got the full article here for anyone who wants to see/read it. I deleted this before to try and get the image to post in better quality or as one of those attachment things but I can't work it out so maybe it'll look better on your devices but if not lemme know and I can try again lol
View attachment 524205
A couple of things:
- I do to an extent understand the ‘idea that people who work a 40-hour week are lazy'. I've just finished uni and I do read a lot online in the way of "if you don't stay after 5 to do more work than others you won't ever get a promotion because you won't be seen to be working as hard as them", especially in the financial sector. I think it's pretty internalised though, that may be the way you are looked at in your company but no one outside of your job is gonna give a tit what time you leave work, and I've never heard of a pressure to have more than one job when you don't need to for the money.
- It's mentioned that it alarmed her parents that she didn't pursue a career in law after graduating and later that she still imagined pursuing the path into law after uni and starting two businesses. Am I missing something?? Did I miss that it's normal for people to become a lawyer after studying music at uni??
- I do think her book will be good but I really don't think the main focus should have been basically how to switch off because she's clearly unable to do it herself. Saying sometimes you have to say duck it and wind down for a couple of hours or days isn't helpful at all because that's literally what the weekend is for and the vast majority of people can't just say sorry boss I'm burnt out so I can't come in tomorrow.
The picture is really blurry maybe if you take a bunch of close up shots and post multiple pics it can be readable. Half of it has already been read because she posted it on insta but I wanna see the other part (the wanting to be a lawyer thing, cause she said that the Daily Mail did an incorrect article about her dropping her law career to be an influencer and she was saying that she has a music degree and wasn’t interested in being a lawyer anyway blah blah this is all fake news and now she’s saying she did want to be a lawyer- so which is it?)

Reactions: 13
The picture is really blurry maybe if you take a bunch of close up shots and post multiple pics it can be readable. Half of it has already been read because she posted it on insta but I wanna see the other part (the wanting to be a lawyer thing, cause she said that the Daily Mail did an incorrect article about her dropping her law career to be an influencer and she was saying that she has a music degree and wasn’t interested in being a lawyer anyway blah blah this is all fake news and now she’s saying she did want to be a lawyer- so which is it?)
Here are some of my fave sections:

'Beverley has achieved this in a uniquely 21st-century way — through being an influencer with a combined 1.5 million followers on her @GraceBeverley (formerly GraceFitUK) social media accounts, a career that initially involved posting scores of pictures of herself in teensy bikinis and low-cut dresses on Instagram' - why does this feel lowkey shady lmao

'“When you think of someone who’s fulfilling their purpose I don’t think of a job like being a doctor or a humanitarian worker any more, even though those careers are exceptionally worthy,” Beverley says. “I think of an Instagrammer, someone who can work from anywhere, doing something that’s hyper-lucrative and hyper-fulfilling. That is seen as the ultimate goal and if you’re not doing that, you’re doing it all wrong.”' - is being an instagrammer really the ultimate goal for us?? I couldn't imagine anything worse

'As a child, Beverley’s ambition was to be a lawyer or politician. She started her Instagram account when she was a self-conscious sixth former at the prestigious St Paul’s Girls’ School (social media buzzes endlessly with snipes at her “privilege”, something she fully acknowledges), originally as an attempt to track her attempts to get fit for summer.' - this has already been mentioned by OxfordBoy we love the quotes around privilege x

'What did Beverley’s father, who runs a business consultancy, and mother, a senior curator at the Victoria and Albert Museum, make of the career choice of their daughter, former head chorister at Salisbury Cathedral?' - I can't even begin to unpack the level of upper-classness of this sentence 😂

'While vlogging, Beverley spotted gaps in the market for her businesses. She launched B_ND (which later incorporated into Shreddy) in her second year, while Tala was unveiled to the world the same month she was taking her finals. “I was in the library until 3am, then up at 6am to talk to factories, it was crazy and unsustainable, but also one of the most validating times of my life,” she says.' - I feel like she still massively glorifies hustle culture in her mind which is why i find her book so hypocritical

'She advises “planning and implementing in” breaks into schedules, but admits our interconnected world makes it hard ever to truly relax. “I might sit and scroll through my phone for an hour, but I’d never do that without having Netflix on and afterwards I feel fried. You can’t ever get away.”' - feeling drained after watching netflix and scrolling through social media, poor grez what a hard life

'Does she recognise her contribution towards making grafting good? “I’ve definitely played a part in that,” says Beverley, who on a “normal day” works from about 8am to 6pm with a lunch break where she usually watches a TED talk.' - this is actually a pretty normal work day no? Why is she always so exhausted??

'“I know I work incredibly hard, but I always feel I need to be seen to be working even harder because that’s the culture we glorify,” she says.' - *she glorifies

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 69

I just watched that video and she used to be kind of charming back in the day but progressively became more annoying as time went on because she was trying to be funny. The thing that made me unsubscribe was how she would keep doing “funny” voices randomly and the Northern accent in particular made my skin crawl. I think a lot of pretty girls do the same thing perhaps from the 2010 era of being #sorandom and you’ll see them taking “ugly” pictures of themselves from an unflattering angle (another classic Grace move), putting their face on a hand platter with a smile pose after saying something sarcastic (Grace does this all the time), putting on a blaccent, using AAVE, speaking high pitched, doing a valley girl accent, northern accent, cowboy accent etc. randomly and think that makes them a comedic genius but it’s actually really cringy and unbearable to watch. And now I think her rambling word salads and run on sentences are doing the same thing, where being anxious and manic is portrayed as an endearing quality in media nowadays so she’s trying to capitalise off of it but it just seems cringy. Anyway to me these things are equivalent to nails on a chalkboard, I’ve cut out friends in real life for doing the same thing, I just can’t stand it. I had a 3 strike rule for Grace with the Northern accent, even though I liked her content I couldn’t keep watching because I knew she wasn’t going to stop doing these moves and it made me wanna pull my face off. Just thought I’d share🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 24

'Beverley has achieved this in a uniquely 21st-century way — through being an influencer with a combined 1.5 million followers on her @GraceBeverley (formerly GraceFitUK) social media accounts, a career that initially involved posting scores of pictures of herself in teensy bikinis and low-cut dresses on Instagram' - why does this feel lowkey shady lmao

'“When you think of someone who’s fulfilling their purpose I don’t think of a job like being a doctor or a humanitarian worker any more, even though those careers are exceptionally worthy,” Beverley says. “I think of an Instagrammer, someone who can work from anywhere, doing something that’s hyper-lucrative and hyper-fulfilling. That is seen as the ultimate goal and if you’re not doing that, you’re doing it all wrong.”' - is being an instagrammer really the ultimate goal for us?? I couldn't imagine anything worse

'As a child, Beverley’s ambition was to be a lawyer or politician. She started her Instagram account when she was a self-conscious sixth former at the prestigious St Paul’s Girls’ School (social media buzzes endlessly with snipes at her “privilege”, something she fully acknowledges), originally as an attempt to track her attempts to get fit for summer.' - this has already been mentioned by OxfordBoy we love the quotes around privilege x

'What did Beverley’s father, who runs a business consultancy, and mother, a senior curator at the Victoria and Albert Museum, make of the career choice of their daughter, former head chorister at Salisbury Cathedral?' - I can't even begin to unpack the level of upper-classness of this sentence 😂

'While vlogging, Beverley spotted gaps in the market for her businesses. She launched B_ND (which later incorporated into Shreddy) in her second year, while Tala was unveiled to the world the same month she was taking her finals. “I was in the library until 3am, then up at 6am to talk to factories, it was crazy and unsustainable, but also one of the most validating times of my life,” she says.' - I feel like she still massively glorifies hustle culture in her mind which is why i find her book so hypocritical

'She advises “planning and implementing in” breaks into schedules, but admits our interconnected world makes it hard ever to truly relax. “I might sit and scroll through my phone for an hour, but I’d never do that without having Netflix on and afterwards I feel fried. You can’t ever get away.”' - feeling drained after watching netflix and scrolling through social media, poor grez what a hard life

'Does she recognise her contribution towards making grafting good? “I’ve definitely played a part in that,” says Beverley, who on a “normal day” works from about 8am to 6pm with a lunch break where she usually watches a TED talk.' - this is actually a pretty normal work day no? Why is she always so exhausted??

'“I know I work incredibly hard, but I always feel I need to be seen to be working even harder because that’s the culture we glorify,” she says.' - *she glorifies
I knew she was detached from reality but even so I am a bit shocked by her view of the world from these quotes... I guess that’s what happens when you’re born into a multi-millionaire family 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 22

so she doesn’t think careers actually SAVING LIVES are fulfilling a purpose in life anymore?? But taking pictures of her arse is ‘hyper fulfilling’, oh of course, because it pays more money and is “hyper-lucrative” (is she making these oxymorons up???), it’s the ultimate goal, she sickens me

I thought she wanted to distance herself from being an influencer, or is being an “instagrammer” different to her

Reactions: 42
so she doesn’t think careers actually SAVING LIVES are fulfilling a purpose in life anymore?? But taking pictures of her arse is ‘hyper fulfilling’, oh of course, because it pays more money and is “hyper-lucrative” (is she making these oxymorons up???), it’s the ultimate goal, she sickens me

I thought she wanted to distance herself from being an influencer, or is being an “instagrammer” different to her
That quote is going to get taken out of context and it’s going to come back and bite her in the arse, I guarantee it.

Reactions: 27
Careful, she'll go off on a rant about how she should be allowed to change and grow and we just have to put up with it

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I’m so interested to know - has anyone on this thread actually been affected by hustle culture?!

I am a millennial and I certainly haven’t! If there is extra work to be done I will obviously do it, but otherwise I am glued to the sofa not caring about looking busy 🤣
I do experience it, not exactly in the way she describes though. For me it's the performative office hours, packing up and leaving at 5 is a big no no - and it's so surface level that even if you start earlier than everyone else you still get the eyes as you walk out the door. It's just later = harder working.

That's why WFH has been the dream as there's no element of that, although now it's a lot of performative conversations/statements like "I just find it so hard to switch off when WFH, I end up working really late every night" I'm there like h'okay gurl can't relate lol.

And I do find it a common insta story theme for people to post themselves working late (obviously with a timestamp to prove it) or with their laptop out in a bar sending an email (complete with quirky caption) which cringes me out so much

Reactions: 36
I do experience it, not exactly in the way she describes though. For me it's the performative office hours, packing up and leaving at 5 is a big no no - and it's so surface level that even if you start earlier than everyone else you still get the eyes as you walk out the door. It's just later = harder working.

That's why WFH has been the dream as there's no element of that, although now it's a lot of performative conversations/statements like "I just find it so hard to switch off when WFH, I end up working really late every night" I'm there like h'okay gurl can't relate lol.

And I do find it a common insta story theme for people to post themselves working late (obviously with a timestamp to prove it) or with their laptop out in a bar sending an email (complete with quirky caption) which cringes me out so much
Yes I 100% have found this. I always used to be conscious of leaving at say 5/5.30 and when I was a trainee solicitor, so many other trainees would stay late just to be seen to stay late. I have now found that actually often the people working late are either behind on their work or just like I said, staying to be seen. I think people in senior positions see right through it tbh and probably cringe at it.

I still find some friends have to let everyone know when they are leaving the office late and people love an Instagram story of themselves leaving at 10pm but really everyone rolls their eyes.

having said this, I don’t think grace was talking about this and I personally have found that it’s something people grown out of once they have more self belief and then feel fine walk out of work at 5.30 if they are on top of their work as they don’t have to prove themselves. So I think a lot of it is down to maturity. Just my thoughts and experiences though.

Also to add, I also used to enjoy watching grace when she was at uni, I think her massive downward spiral was when she started trying to talk about business

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Someone mentioned it on the last thread but couldn’t reply as closed. Why do people keep going back to tala after constant poor quality?

I bought some gymshark in the really new days of them coming out and I thought awful quality althoughcustomer service and returns was good and FREE RETURNS GRACE!! But after having poor products and they were like £30-40 a pair, I’m really put off even now I’d be wary of buying stuff. It makes no sense why they keep going back 🤦🏻‍♀️
Omg girl I bought 4 Tala leggings before I just gave up. Their sports bras are horrendous but then I bought a gymshark leggings the other day the training one... better than Tala imo by a step. The £40 ones are probs better mine was just £25 but Tala is awful and why the duck would I pay £5 to return soemtbing. I’ve basically spent £5 on air and they’re meant to be a sustainable brand like either way they get your money. Gymshark imo is better. They could work on their sizing ngl but the actual leggings are a 10 from me. I bought Tala as I was following her for years since before she got into Oxford and my god this girl really is stuck up her own ass ngl she’s aged herself horrendously imo as well. I think £40-50 for any leggings is way too much ngl that’s just me though but rather play around w gymshark since they returned tit for free then pay £5 to tala I emailed them once w pictures of my leggings that CAME ripped n they told me to return them and it was £5 returns at the time idk how much it is now and I was like why.

Reactions: 12
Yeah, I think I would feel pressure to "hustle" and work really hard if I was doing a really rewarding job (and no, not as an influencer, as Grace apparently instantly thinks of lol) but as a heart surgeon or charity worker... but to be honest when you work for a company at the start of your career that's probably not the dream- like most of her audience are likely doing- the pay isn't high enough to give them 500 hour weeks, most of us just get by enough to pay the bills!

Reactions: 15

[...]

K the whole article is dumb as hell but this quote reads as straight-up satire. How does someone say this with a straight face??? She's become a parody of herself at this point.

Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.