Grace Beverley #14 delayed gratification is getting into Oxford on your gap year after being rejected once

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh my GOD that article. Twenty somethings haven't normalised that they need to be working 24/7 or are glorifying hustle culture... it's because if I don't take on extra work I barely have enough money to cover my rent and bills. bleeping hell. Most people I know with two jobs/side hustle are doing it because they can't afford not to. What a stupid woman she is
I read this and had to come here. Everything she's shown from her book sounds SO PRIVILEGED and like she thinks the rest of the world relates to her influencer lifestyle. Most people aren't hustling because they want ~to feel productive~, it's because they can't afford to not work 24/7. Same with the gig economy excerpt. I rolled my eyes so hard. Only privileged people sees spare time as time to make money because of pressure to work work work and not because they can't pay their bills if they relax. duck off Grace.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
itā€™s obvious that her book is not just for ā€œyoung peopleā€ - itā€™s for (leaning upper, certainly not lower) middle class young people. Talking as if people work 24/7 and take jobs as Deliveroo/Uber drivers because they want to hustle...itā€™s because lots of young people have to if they want to afford to live, let alone have a basically acceptable quality of life. Itā€™s also because itā€™s getting increasingly hard for us to get good jobs.

I really need to read the page she didnā€™t post, but with the ā€œinfluencing/instagramming is hyper-fulfillingā€ thing, it feels like sheā€™s trying to present the issue as actually being about Gen Z being innovative and finding cool new Instagram jobs, rather than exploitation in the structure of ā€œconventionalā€ jobs

ā€œInstagrammingā€ isnā€™t a reliable route out of conventional work as there is a huge glass ceiling for a lot of people. You need to have free time and financial security to start in influencing, which Grace seems to forget that a lot of people donā€™t have, even though she says that everyone is working 24/7. You need to be picked up by a bigger organisation usually, like Gleam or Love Island or Gymshark. You also need to be conventionally attractive and young, especially as a woman. Itā€™s not an accessible escape from exploitative work structures and shouldnā€™t be presented as a viable alternative to them
A515650C-4A2C-4956-8EFB-97DFC11C8032.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
itā€™s obvious that her book is not just for ā€œyoung peopleā€ - itā€™s for (leaning upper, certainly not lower) middle class young people. Talking as if people work 24/7 and take jobs as Deliveroo/Uber drivers because they want to hustle...itā€™s because lots of young people have to if they want to afford to live, let alone have a basically acceptable quality of life. Itā€™s also because itā€™s getting increasingly hard for us to get a good job.

I really need to read the page she didnā€™t post, but with the ā€œinfluencing/instagramming is hyper-fulfillingā€ thing, it feels like sheā€™s trying to present a class and exploitation issue as...idk...actually being about Gen Z being innovative and finding cool new Instagram jobs, rather than the structure of ā€œconventionalā€ jobs being exploitative.

ā€œInstagrammingā€ isnā€™t a reliable route out of conventional work as there is a huge glass ceiling for a lot of people. You need to have free time and financial security to start in influencing, which Grace seems to forget that a lot of people donā€™t have, even though she says that everyone is working 24/7. You need to be picked up by a bigger organisation usually, like Gleam or Love Island or Gymshark. You also need to be conventionally attractive and young, especially as a woman. Itā€™s not an accessible escape from exploitative work structures and shouldnā€™t be presented as a viable alternative to them
View attachment 522623
imagine the editor of the times seeing that as the picture to put in :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 37
God the promo for the book is so grim.
Just release the book so we can read actually honest reviews plz.

Reactions: 19
itā€™s obvious that her book is not just for ā€œyoung peopleā€ - itā€™s for (leaning upper, certainly not lower) . Talking as if people work 24/7 and take jobs as Deliveroo/Uber drivers because they want to hustle...itā€™s because lots of young people have to if they want to afford to live, let alone have a basically acceptable quality of life. Itā€™s also because itā€™s getting increasingly hard for us to get good jobs.
The meer fact sheā€™s pictured sat in her million pound house in London, dripping in clunky jewellery in The Times (Tory leaning paper- and what gen z reads papers anyway?!) tells you everything you need to know šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

• Heart
Reactions: 41
The meer fact sheā€™s pictured sat in her million pound house in London, dripping in clunky jewellery in The Times (Tory leaning paper- and what gen z reads papers anyway?!) tells you everything you need to know šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø
I bet her family have contacts at the times, their readership is definitely not who are awful book is aimed at

Reactions: 19
I think what makes me the most mad about her book is that she keeps spouting off about "our generation" as if she's some sort of academic reference on the topic. I havent seen a single source backing up anything she says yet she talks as if this is all facts. No hun, this is just your experience in your influencer circle of friends/fans. Dont lump us all into that bullshit.

• Heart
Reactions: 63
I can just imagine the type of people who read The Times regularly rolling their eyes at this spread, especially the tongue out photo šŸ¤£ I feel so embarrassed to be Gen Z if Grace has awarded herself spokesperson for the entire generation.

Hope to God real people engage in some critical thinking when they read all these reviews and the book and realise sheā€™s never had a real job or had to work for anything in her life, so no grounds to talk about reality for this generation šŸ˜­

Reactions: 25
The fact that she suggests people of our generation work multiple jobs because We want to look productive just shows how ridiculously privileged she is. I have seen friends who are in good professions working extra jobs, but thatā€™s to be able to save up for things like weddings and house deposits etc. She is absolute deluded and should have stopped trying to talk about business a long time before she wrote a book.

• Heart
Reactions: 65
"there's this idea that people who work 40 hours a week are lazy" what? Maybe in America, not really heard that sentiment in the UK
Iā€™ve never really heard that sentiment in the US either. Someone working full time (40 hours) isnā€™t lazy. Thereā€™s a weird culture of ā€œhustlingā€ beyond that (like starting your own business) but itā€™s not pervasive outside of some business worlds.

Reactions: 16
Although she says it is for Gen Z, I think she is actually aiming this towards the millennials, I know she is technically a Gen Z, but she is right at the end of it and borderline millennial.
The idea that any young Gen Z is gonna relate to the stuff she is writing is literally beyond me. Iā€™m the same age as her and I do not relate at all, looking at my younger siblings and other younger people I know, they for sure would not relate to this tit either.

Reactions: 22
Also what is she talking about with this supposed 'pressure to monetise everything we do'???? I personally have never experienced this?? Like, okay if I'm clearing out some clothes I might put the more valuable ones on depop so I can make a bit of money but that doesn't mean I feel a 'pressure to monetise' everything about my lifestyle. Again this issue literally only applies to Youtubers and Influencers

Reactions: 53
Says a lot that she thinks that people feel pressured to work in the gig economy because of some need to feel productive rather than the pressure of, I donā€™t know, needing to make money to survive?

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Omg they did not use that photo šŸ˜³šŸ˜³
I hope my parents bought the times this weekend, my mum would be horrified !

Says a lot that she thinks that people feel pressured to work in the gig economy because of some need to feel productive rather than the pressure of, I donā€™t know, needing to make money to survive?
yeah for someone so "left wing" she is INSANELY obsessed with money

Reactions: 33
Iā€™m so interested to know - has anyone on this thread actually been affected by hustle culture?!

I am a millennial and I certainly havenā€™t! If there is extra work to be done I will obviously do it, but otherwise I am glued to the sofa not caring about looking busy šŸ¤£

Reactions: 31
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.