Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Yel

Chatty Member
Sorry if this has been posted 😬 but the times comments :LOL: some good thread names!

1618414342652.png

1618414377645.png

1618414425564.png

1618414554805.png

1618414587314.png

1618414607727.png

1618414513123.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 58

fwooper

VIP Member
Doth she protest too much? Every story grace tells has way too many pointless details, almost like they aren’t quite true 😅
It's all part of desperation to prove she isn't like other influencers. She paid thousands for a designer dog breed like every other influencer, but guys, she enquired about dogs with health issues first!! How selfless!!

And yeah, I remember her justification of getting Ziggy was that she got her travelling out of her system and she wasn't planning to go on holiday for a long time... then went to Dubai a few months after getting him.

• Haha
also I swear a week or so ago she was encouraging people not to buy on amazon and suggesting other alteratives?
She was also banging on about announcement culture being toxic and here she is announcing every time it moves one place up the charts 😂

• Haha

dfsdfsdfadfs

All joking aside, I have seen so many excerpts/pages/notes of this book, stuff people have put up, shared stories, stories directly from Grace and I literally have ZERO idea what the book is about, haven't seen 1 single, useful point that somebody could implement into their lives or one piece of writing that I got through without feeling like I was having an aneurysm.

It literally just feels like she's written a book about virtually nothing, a culture and environment that she helps create and stereotype and I can't tell which side of the fence she's on, is it good or bad to work hard or hardly work? I am so confused.

• Haha

Soph.2696

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Basically, I can't stand Grace 😂 short and simple.

So you know how Meggan Grubb launched her own fitness app, Beyond, at the beginning of the year? Well over the past few week the have changed the Shreddy colour scheme from pink and yellow to blue - beyond colour scheme has always been blue. Shreddy's Instagram feed is suddenly looking more like Beyonds. Beyond has always had a journaling feature, Shreddy is launching a journaling feature. Beyond had a 40% off sale last week, Shreddy has a 40% off sale now. Can we say threatened much? 😂

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 57

Deeznutslol

VIP Member
Bruh this is too much, I’m actually gonna buy this, lets get it to the number 1 best seller list 😁

• Heart

Deeznutslol

VIP Member
Lmao ‘torrents of abuse’, do you mean your customers complaining on your businesses IG pages because you’ve sold them faulty products and they can’t get a reply off the customer service email?
God she is so fragile haha

• Haha

chlosib

Chatty Member
It really says a lot that she chooses to reply to so many “hate” comments but seldom responds to genuine customers or even fans who just want to chat with her.
I once sent her a lovely message, she chose to screenshot it and share it all over her stories but couldn’t actually manage a personal message back thanking me!

• Wow
  • Haha

aeip

19 pages late, but I saw the recap of the previous thread and thought you’re doing Rishi a bit of an injustice there. His parents emigrated to the UK and worked hard so he could climb the ladder to Oxford and beyond. Grace was basically plonked at the top of it.
ah yes the heartwarming tale of a boy educated at a private school with boarding fees of £39k a year, defying all odds to go onto an oxford university education :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 56

Deeznutslol

VIP Member
I just feel like ‘announcement culture’ is only a problem experienced by influencers and people who live their lives through social media. I have literally never felt pressure to announce anything that is going on in my life on social media

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 56

Rubysue123

Chatty Member
I think the fact that she thinks “announcement culture” is a thing, just goes to show what her own mindset is like.

so I’ve just managed to actually read her post and I’m confused. She seems to be suggesting that people including herself do work and tick things off the list just so they can “announce” they have done it on social media, ie when she posts her long to do lists or working late at night etc.

Correct me if I’m wrong but surely people who have actual proper jobs, HAVE to do the work they have been given to do as they have deadlines to meet? We don’t post our lists of things to do on social media as though we are playing at adult life with a job? It seems like she’s referring to the influencer world rather than the real world.

Although, I may well have completely got the wrong end of the stick because it’s hard to make sense of what she is saying. To me, if “announcement culture” had to be a thing, I would say it’s where people priorities posting things like engagements and pregnancies on Instagram over being in the moment and so on.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 55

mg398

7AAC4563-A178-454D-8008-0BBD2A4C9169.png
Just had to drop the term viva voce in there, just in case anyone had forgotten she went to Ox!!!1!!
Also did anyone else find it hilarious that her productivity tip is preparing (for interviews, lectures, meetings etc). What a groundbreaking tip lol

• Haha

sunday3

None of the excerpts she's sharing from her book make any sense???? Genuinely never seen such shit writing.......shame on Penguin 🙃

aemee321

Chatty Member
I wish grace would fully acknowledge and unpick her privilege rather than mention it on a surface level as tho she’s run of the mill middle class. I always say that when it comes to privilege, people shouldn’t begrudge the life people are born into, it’s about whether they appreciate and understand it. It’s also very relative. Say for example my parents couldn’t afford to send me to private school but they could afford a house in an area with amazing grammar schools which I only now fully understand the huge impact that has had on my life. I could easily say “oh yeh I didn’t go to a private school” but there is more to it than that. I think people would respect grace more if she full delved into her privilege, spoke up about the unjust nature of it giving people a leg up in life and tried to give back to society by for example setting up work experience placements in schools and so on. So much of the working world is about contacts and getting the first foot in the door that so many people just don’t have access to.

Not sure what my point is here haha just a thought of the day xx
Fully agree! It doesn't make her a bad person that she was born into her family and given opportunities, she just needs to acknowledge and own it. Like you say it's all surface level, she thinks voting for Labour and scraping together a pathetic story about babysitting makes her like the rest of us.

I think she missed a trick by not writing a tell-all book about the world of being privately educated in London, how it sets you up for Oxford etc (like people do with Harvard and stuff), I'd find that way more interesting and honest than a silly book about how to write a to-do list and become a millionaire suddenly. I think people wouldn't give her half as much flack for that as she's opening up and admitting her privileges, rather than constantly sweeping it under the carpet.

• Heart

Venus

Oh my GOD that article. Twenty somethings haven't normalised that they need to be working 24/7 or are glorifying hustle culture... it's because if I don't take on extra work I barely have enough money to cover my rent and bills. Fucking hell. Most people I know with two jobs/side hustle are doing it because they can't afford not to. What a stupid woman she is
I read this and had to come here. Everything she's shown from her book sounds SO PRIVILEGED and like she thinks the rest of the world relates to her influencer lifestyle. Most people aren't hustling because they want ~to feel productive~, it's because they can't afford to not work 24/7. Same with the gig economy excerpt. I rolled my eyes so hard. Only privileged people sees spare time as time to make money because of pressure to work work work and not because they can't pay their bills if they relax. Fuck off Grace.

• Heart
Reactions: 54

fwooper

VIP Member
just going back to the wiki page, is "accelerating the slow fashion space" not the most ridiculous and yet also apt way of describing grace. i know she means promoting it and getting people to move towards slow fashion, but it reads like she's wanting to make slow fashion more like fast fashion which is honestly very on brand for her
Honestly, this is what makes me think she wrote it herself because "accelerating the slow fashion space" is such a ridiculous oxymoron that I feel like only she could come up with. Slow fashion is inherently anti-consumerist - it's about resisting the urge to impulse buy, buying secondhand before buying new, reducing the amount of items you buy and ensuring those that you do purchase are good quality. TALA doesn't really hit any of these goals. Just because something is made out of recycled polyester doesn't mean it's slow fashion.

• Heart
  • Haha

Stephg264889

Chatty Member
She’s also so predictable. Literally never engages on her social media unless she thinks she got this HILARIOUS reply to clap back with. On that post just before book lunch she’s decided to get involved in convos

announcement culture (like hustle culture) is Antonine thing weird z list influencers have invented for themselves and now moan about. I don’t know anyone in real jobs who would dream of bosting about a to do list 🥴only a thing for these instagrammers who are constantly trying to prove they have a job 🙄

also classic plagiarism by grez. Does she think she’s invented this analogy (obviously added more words than the original because word count= hustle= success). “Quoted myself” “share brains”. No you’re both just referring to a VERY famous phrase?

Attachments

• Sick
  • Haha
it’s obvious that her book is not just for “young people” - it’s for (leaning upper, certainly not lower) middle class young people. Talking as if people work 24/7 and take jobs as Deliveroo/Uber drivers because they want to hustle...it’s because lots of young people have to if they want to afford to live, let alone have a basically acceptable quality of life. It’s also because it’s getting increasingly hard for us to get good jobs.

I really need to read the page she didn’t post, but with the “influencing/instagramming is hyper-fulfilling” thing, it feels like she’s trying to present the issue as actually being about Gen Z being innovative and finding cool new Instagram jobs, rather than exploitation in the structure of “conventional” jobs

“Instagramming” isn’t a reliable route out of conventional work as there is a huge glass ceiling for a lot of people. You need to have free time and financial security to start in influencing, which Grace seems to forget that a lot of people don’t have, even though she says that everyone is working 24/7. You need to be picked up by a bigger organisation usually, like Gleam or Love Island or Gymshark. You also need to be conventionally attractive and young, especially as a woman. It’s not an accessible escape from exploitative work structures and shouldn’t be presented as a viable alternative to them
View attachment 522623

“When you think of someone who’s fulfilling their purpose, I don’t think of a job like being a doctor or a humanitarian worker any more, even though those careers are exceptional worthy.” Beverley says “I think of an Instagrammer, someone who can work from anywhere, doing something that’s hyper-lucrative and hyper-fulfilling. That is seen as the ultimate goal and it you’re not doing that, you’re doing it all wrong.”

WHAT. Did she actually say those words?? Is she joking???

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 53