Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

ceecee454

Chatty Member
Oh my god will she give it a rest?
toxic productivity level 10 whilst about to realise a book which explores:
“the pressure of feeling like we should be grinding 24/7 while simultaneously being told that we should ‘just relax’” i’d agree grace that “this seemingly impossible choice” couldn't be further from YOUR reality.
really not sure why she felt she is the best person to write on this topic when she goes on like this? so many young people will look up to her and feel like they aren’t doing enough, seeing her working out and reading a book all whilst her insides are hanging out 🥴 when in reality they are probably working harder than she has ever had to (all while she is hardly working).
she is so heavily entrenched in hustle culture yet on other occasions tries to make out like she’s nailing the balanced life style? yet simultaneously promoting grind til u die mentality.

someone make it make sense please

Reactions: 65

Rubysue123

Chatty Member
The fact that she suggests people of our generation work multiple jobs because We want to look productive just shows how ridiculously privileged she is. I have seen friends who are in good professions working extra jobs, but that’s to be able to save up for things like weddings and house deposits etc. She is absolute deluded and should have stopped trying to talk about business a long time before she wrote a book.

• Heart

fwooper

VIP Member
I’m usually just a lurker but looks like our Grez has people she doesn’t live with in her house! I give it an hour before this is deleted lol
So that's two different people coming over to her house in the past week alone - can you imagine how many people must have been going in and out of that house throughout this lockdown? Like Jesus, I'm sure all of us would love nothing more than to spend a wholesome Sunday afternoon doing pottery with friends, but most of us have a conscience and understand that breaking lockdown to mess around with fucking clay is the height of selfishness.

Also, interesting how in this picture that hasn't been controlled by her, she looks like her 'normal' self (i.e. back in her university days). I think this is a good example to refer to when speculating about how much 'work' she has done - I think this shows that much of the changes we are seeing are down to filters, angles, and editing rather than cosmetic treatments. We're living in a fucked up age of social media when images from influencers are manipulated beyond belief.

p.s. thank you all you detectives for collecting the rule breaking receipts 🙏

rosie994

Oh my GOD that article. Twenty somethings haven't normalised that they need to be working 24/7 or are glorifying hustle culture... it's because if I don't take on extra work I barely have enough money to cover my rent and bills. Fucking hell. Most people I know with two jobs/side hustle are doing it because they can't afford not to. What a stupid woman she is

• Heart

July9696

Chatty Member
Her shit about the charity shops pisses me off. I used to volunteer in one and there were so many people reliant on them for basic clothes, books for their kids and warm clothes in the winter, not to mention shoes. Charity shops truly rely on the goodness of people to donate selflessly (not to mention that profits go to cancer research etc).

Unpopular opinion but it lowkey annoys me when people use depop instead, especially people who don’t need the money like Grace. Like I get that it’s your stuff and sell it if you want to, that’s your prerogative but I’m guessing most people on depop aren’t millionaires!

It’s all about the hustle and passive income and squeezing money out of every possible angle with these folks. Everything has to be monetised these days, hobbies etc and yet this is the type of thing her book is supposedly rallying against?! Just goes to show enough money is never enough 🙄
So no, I don’t believe her when she says she donates some profits to charity. It’s all about the clout here and it’s shallow as fuuuuuck.

• Heart
Reactions: 64

fwooper

VIP Member
She used the stupid 'budget kween' before in this quickly deleted tweet:

1617644320404.png

I'm sure we could all be budget kweens if we were also millionaires.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 63

BigDee

Came on here to talk about this. It’s also pretty insulting as she’s obviously trying to be relatable by talking about influencers and their luxury lifestyles, and how that looks from the outside. But she IS one of those influencers! God even just a few months ago AFTER finishing writing this book, she was showing off with her laptop in Dubai... I just find it so insulting that she talks about how triggering these posts are when she has never given any consideration to this with her own posts...

• Heart

thisisntreal

View attachment 527102 Did you guys know she went to Oxford ???? 😂 it’s so cringe that she brings up Oxford every time she talks about anything uni related !!! I just say ‘uni’ and I went to a ‘prestigious’ uni lol.
Remind me what she was saying about so-called “announcement culture” again? Smh she’s so cringe. And that tutor is also cringe for crawling up her arse because of that sycophantic and contradictory puff piece. I can’t imagine any of my professors saying something so vom-inducing if I’d been featured in a newspaper talking about how being an influenza is a better job than being a doctor.

• Heart

Lizzurd

I think what makes me the most mad about her book is that she keeps spouting off about "our generation" as if she's some sort of academic reference on the topic. I havent seen a single source backing up anything she says yet she talks as if this is all facts. No hun, this is just your experience in your influencer circle of friends/fans. Dont lump us all into that bullshit.

• Heart

samanthajoness

So I ran out of things to watch on YouTube and this popped up from 3 years ago on suggested. 2 minutes in and she’s already said “I don’t like big branded logos across the front of my tops” and “£45 for leggings that is NOT cheap at all”

How opinions change when it’s making you more money 🤪

Attachments

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 62
0195F97B-2C3C-4639-A172-EC6BAEEBB325.jpeg
Did you guys know she went to Oxford ???? 😂 it’s so cringe that she brings up Oxford every time she talks about anything uni related !!! I just say ‘uni’ and I went to a ‘prestigious’ uni lol.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 62
Essay coming in:

There is definitely a culture in the UK and US of working overtime, which is well-researched. Almost every job I have ever had - from a waitress through to a marketing manager - has pressured me to work more hours. Both my parents who work in the care sector have also been shamed for not picking up extra shifts. Not working overtime or refusing extra shifts can cost you your job in some sectors, or at the least leave you ostracised. However, this attitude is more couched in accusations of "being lazy" and "not a team player", which is quite different to what Grace is talking about. The boomer tweets that someone shared with regards to Grace's book are really good examples of this.

Grace is more focussed on privileged influencer culture. She could be right in that people whose lives revolve around social media may well feel pressured to have side hustles - I don't know this for certain because I've not read any research on the subject. It is also difficult to switch off when you monetise your life and/or gain your income through social media because you can technically always work from just your phone, and the things that you used to do to relax (e.g. scroll Insta) are now inherently work-related.

The more I hear, the more I feel Grace has written a book for wealthy wannabe influencers. There are tonnes of productivity books out there written by business entrepreneurs already, so her publishers could have adopted a unique marketing angle targeting a relatively new demographic. It wouldn't matter that the book isn't a general productivity book that applies to most people. However, they keep playing it as advice relevant to all the young generations, which could bite them in the ass when regular people review the book.

This links to my next point that my biggest issue is that Grace and her publishers, from what I can see from the snippets released this far, are presenting Grace's entirely anecdotal experiences as being general facts. The endless comments about "nuances" and "culture" place Grace as being some kind of anthropologist or sociologist who has conjured new original thought. It grinds because it seems incredibly narcissistic and invalidating for someone so privileged to write an entire book about their own experiences as generalisations that apply to everyone. It would feel very different if this was Grace's autobiography or if she was presenting it as just, 'Here are my experiences and feelings, I know not everyone will relate, but take what you want from them,' and not writing generalised statements about culture and society.

I also want to add that Grace confuses and conflates concepts. E.g. creating and ticking off lists is not synonymous with "announcement culture". Posting the list on social media would be, but making the list itself is not. I am sure there are a tonne of psychology and business research papers about productivity, list-making, etc, to help draw conclusions on that last point. As a note, Grace did the same thing again of taking an anecdotal experience and generalising it. Whilst she acknowledges it's just her "personal and undeniable love of ticking things off", the preceding and closing paragraphs are definitive societal conclusions based on those personal anecdotes.

• Heart
Reactions: 61

Asgc22

The fact she goes on and on about babysitting is so indicative of just how out of touch she is. Honestly, I was babysitting at that age and it doesn't feature on my CV... I don't talk about it... because I've had actual jobs since the age of 20! She's so infuriating and embarrassing

• Heart
Reactions: 60

Noahfence

Screenshot 2021-03-29 at 12.21.05.png

just came across this in my emails lol - this was tala customer services response to me asking how to return a zahara bra which arrived with creased cups, making it unwearable. ngl at the time i wasn't that ticked off by how rubbish this service was just because tala were so new but from looking at the trust pilot now they dont seem to have changed :unsure:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 60

FDR97

Chatty Member
Just saw her story telling people to adopt and rehome dogs..... sitting next to her is her designer pedigree pup that was clearly bought 🥴

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 59

Rubysue123

Chatty Member
I think it’s poor taste for a millionaire to try and make budgeting sound cute. For some people it’s a daily struggle to budget for basics like food. Selling your clothes because you’ve got too many, not because you need the money, isnt budgeting.
There’s been times in my past where I have gone round my house trying to find things I can put on eBay because I’ve actually needed to. Now (obviously I’m not a millionaire lol) I would just take stuff to a charity shop if I had a sort out.

Ps her Depop makes no reference to money going to charity...
Anyways rant over!

Reactions: 58
Why is she travelling to a gym when she has a fully kitted out one at home...? Not sure which kind of gym she's going to, but I'm guessing there's a limit on capacity/you have to book a slot like most others, she's probably stopping people who haven't had gym access the whole year from going just so she can ~announce~ she's going as soon as they open

Reactions: 58