Gogglebox #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Considering it was their first programme, I found them more interesting than all the times the Baggs family has been featured.

I'm all over the place this series. The first episode bored me, but the following ones were not too bad until last night's. It was flat. I didn't miss Jenny & Lee at all. They used to be one of my favourite couples, but not any more as everything thing they do just seems so contrived. I think this is why I am losing interest as so much is so obviously staged now. FGS, Sue and Steve hardly ever say anything, yet there was Steve posing in lycra cycling shorts - Really?
I think the Baggs family got a reprieve because of all the sad loses the past few months and then Paige and her mum dropping out. They were down a few families.

I quite liked Simon and his sister.

I also think Amira and Amani are an underrated pairing. They can be very dry.

Reactions: 15
I think the Baggs family got a reprieve because of all the sad loses the past few months and then Paige and her mum dropping out. They were down a few families.

I quite liked Simon and his sister.

I also think Amira and Amani are an underrated pairing. They can be very dry.
They have really grown on me and last night some of their comments were spot-on.

Yes, that is a good reason as to why the Baggs have returned.

This series is very flat, the loss of the Michaels, Pete & Linda, Marina & Mary has been very noticeable.
Controversial, but I don't miss any of them apart from Louis and Marina.

Reactions: 7
Something not right with the ole Googlebox for me personally, before I would have never missed it! Now I'm reading this thread instead of watching it. Seems a bit played out now, not sure even changing the people would help.
Giles and Mary will forever be my favs.
I love the Welsh couple and a few others but think it's time up for some of the rest.
I agree. Gogglebox has been a fascinating and enjoyable concept, but sometimes tv shows need changing up, but with Gogglebox it's just not possible to do that. The whole concept is people sitting in front of a TV and reacting to what they see. It can still be enjoyable, but less so after many years

For me it's the same as the Great British Bake Off. Watching people bake every week is great, but eventually the concept becomes a bit tedious. I never missed a season of the GBBO before this year, but this year I can take it or leave it. Maybe I'm going through a phase 😄

Reactions: 12
I agree. Gogglebox has been a fascinating and enjoyable concept, but sometimes tv shows need changing up, but with Gogglebox it's just not possible to do that. The whole concept is people sitting in front of a TV and reacting to what they see. It can still be enjoyable, but less so after many years

For me it's the same as the Great British Bake Off. Watching people bake every week is great, but eventually the concept becomes a bit tedious. I never missed a season of the GBBO before this year, but this year I can take it or leave it. Maybe I'm going through a phase 😄
I've not been hugely into Gogglebox for a couple of series now, I usually have it on as I fall asleep.

And Bake Off - I'm over it. I watched the first episode of this series and just couldn't be bothered with it. So I haven't bothered. Shows naturally run their course when people are simply done with it. And they have both reached that point for me. Strictly is teetering on the brink as well for me. Adam and John's arses are the only thing keeping my attention.

Reactions: 8
I've not been hugely into Gogglebox for a couple of series now, I usually have it on as I fall asleep.

And Bake Off - I'm over it. I watched the first episode of this series and just couldn't be bothered with it. So I haven't bothered. Shows naturally run their course when people are simply done with it. And they have both reached that point for me. Strictly is teetering on the brink as well for me. Adam and John's arses are the only thing keeping my attention.
I think the problem with Gogglebox now, is that it's been focusing more on politics. As soon as you start doing that, people will zone out. They should just keep to the TV shows as entertainment, not sure many people want to see politics on the show.

Reactions: 11
I think the problem with Gogglebox now, is that it's been focusing more on politics. As soon as you start doing that, people will zone out. They should just keep to the TV shows as entertainment, not sure many people want to see politics on the show.
Definitely agree with this. I don't care about the politics stuff either. It makes it too heavy. More variety of entertainment shows/films needed as well.

Reactions: 4
I must say I really didn’t miss Lee and Jenny this week, but does anyone know why they weren’t on it? Covid maybe?

Reactions: 2
I must say I really didn’t miss Lee and Jenny this week, but does anyone know why they weren’t on it? Covid maybe?
"... earlier this week Lee suggested that he is in Cyprus visiting his partner Steve as he wished him a happy birthday...."

I liked Simon and Jane, they seemed to fit in well. I noticed the family where the Dad is always in his Pyjamas back after a fairly lengthy absence.

Dave and Shirley cracked me up when he asked her what she would do if told it was her last day on earth and she replied "I'd go and see Magic Mike".

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Our favourites are Giles & Mary, the Siddiqui's, the Malones, the Welsh couple in Carmarthen are ok, Marina & Mary in the flat were good too, r.i.p Mary
The show could do with a bit of pruning, & bin Tremayne & Tristan etc, the Durham thickos, the 2 sisters in Leeds.
“The Durham thickos” thick isn’t the word for them and they seem to have the personality of a brick🥱 also really dislike that other family with the Mam and dad and the two boys they also come across as really thick and complete airheads.

Reactions: 5
Dave and Shirl!!! Love them. The conversation about school made me piss. He said she had massive boobs that jiggled around when she played netball. She said she never played and had the smallest boobs then got the hump as he clearly got her confused with someone else 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Dave and Shirl!!! Love them. The conversation about school made me piss. He said she had massive boobs that jiggled around when she played netball. She said she never played and had the smallest boobs then got the hump as he clearly got her confused with someone else 😂😂
I loved when he asked her what would she do if it were the end of the world and she said she’d go see Magic Mike and he was like no magic Dave! 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 17

Wow so glad I'm not alone!! 1st time ever I've not watched bake off! Hahaha maybe I'm going through a phase too. I'll watch it if I stumble across it this year.

I loved when he asked her what would she do if it were the end of the world and she said she’d go see Magic Mike and he was like no magic Dave! 😂😂
He's so randy 🤣🤣🤣

I don't watch it religiously but will sometimes catch an episode
The other part of the issue, imo, is that streaming services have been included and it lowkey seems a bit like an advert for their specific series. Anyway, if I don't pay for the service I have no interest in seeing someone's reaction. Part of the fun with Gogglebox was that you usually had access to all the shows they reacted to (unless they were on Sky etc)

Also, a lot of it just feels scripted these days

Reactions: 12
The other part of the issue, imo, is that streaming services have been included and it lowkey seems a bit like an advert for their specific series. Anyway, if I don't pay for the service I have no interest in seeing someone's reaction. Part of the fun with Gogglebox was that you usually had access to all the shows they reacted to (unless they were on Sky etc)

They were really cheeky with Squid Game on the SUTC special. The 'clip' was the end of episode 4 and the first couple of minutes of episode 5, but played as one continual bit. It broke a cliffhanger ending by showing the result of the game being played.

The watchers were either just shown that clip, or were playing up to the cameras as they were questioning the rules of the 'game', but you'd had already seen it play out earlier in the episode with different characters.

Reactions: 3
Sorry to derail- is there a Gogglebox Ireland thread

Its much funnier and cant believ the twins are back
I watched the Irish version maybe twice this season and am allergic to the new additions. The father/daughter wreck my head, she's a pain in the hole. The chunky couple add nothing and I'm sure there are others but I can't remember.

One of the Northern Ireland sisters looks like a corpse and they both irritate me too. The Tallaght girls are gas though and I just adore the Limerick family with the mother and 2 sons.

Just saying I still love Gogglebox, I only started watching about 3 years ago, thought watching people watch tv, WTF, but it's a fun mindless end to the week for me!

I watched the Irish version maybe twice this season and am allergic to the new additions. The father/daughter wreck my head, she's a pain in the hole. The chunky couple add nothing and I'm sure there are others but I can't remember.

One of the Northern Ireland sisters looks like a corpse and they both irritate me too. The Tallaght girls are gas though and I just adore the Limerick family with the mother and 2 sons.
[/

QUOTE]

I agree with all you said. Cannot stand the new additions. The new girl and her dad really irritate me. So do the new couple with the dog. I do find it’s far less sculpted. There not told what to say. So glad the twins from Cavan are back they were always my fav

This!!!!! I don't really have much time for Gogglebox lately. I did used to enjoy watching it. But I think as you said it feels scripted these days, less authentic which is a shame. Some of them ham it up too much now.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.