Gilmore Girls

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Case in point: Buffy. Angel literally lost his soul when she lost her virginity.
God I'd forgotten that!

Don't know if anyone watched Joan of Arcadia (albeit that was much more religious generally) but that had lots of similar things, I always got thr impression that religious groups often fund tv shows in the us in a way that doesn't seem to happen in the uk

Almost done with my rewatch and I've decided Emily is my favourite character now.

Yes she's a cold mother (to say the least!) but she steals the scenes every time and her quippy dialogue is just perfection!

IT'S GOODWILL LORELAI, NOT SOTHEBYS

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Almost done with my rewatch and I've decided Emily is my favourite character now.

Yes she's a cold mother (to say the least!) but she steals the scenes every time and her quippy dialogue is just perfection!

IT'S GOODWILL LORELAI, NOT SOTHEBYS
I completely agree! Emily and Michel are my absolute faves, closely followed by Paris and I LOVE the dynamic between Richard and Emily too, love seeing their humour and relationship

Reactions: 5
I completely agree! Emily and Michel are my absolute faves, closely followed by Paris and I LOVE the dynamic between Richard and Emily too, love seeing their humour and relationship
It's so funny how opinions change as you watch with different ages, both Rory and lorelai are just awful for me now as an adult, when I watched it initially I liked (ish) them both

Reactions: 4
Agree with all of this except Michel I find him so annoying :LOL:

Paris and Emily steal every scene they're in. Also loved the interaction between Paris and Richard when they do the business project at school.

Reactions: 3
I actually really really like Richard and Emily. I used to think Emily was the spawn of satan but as an adult (and a mother) I now vaguely see her side (not condoning all the horrid things she did). She genuinely loved Lorelai and Rory and thought what she was doing was best. I know people have strong feelings about the last season but the last scene at Rory’s going away party in Stars’ Hollow shows that.

I like Rory until she goes to Yale, and Lorelai it depends on the season.

Reactions: 1
On season 5 in my rewatch and it’s making me irrationally angry what is coming for Lane. They did her so dirty.

I will always defend Lorelai (as a single mum I get it) but my god I can’t stand Yale Rory 💀 she is a spoilt brat

I’ve grown to love and respect Emily as I’ve grown still think some of things she did was inexcusable but hey 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Finally finished watching Gilmore Girls for the first time recently, followed by A Year in the Life. So many thoughts!

- Firstly (looks like a lot of you agree with me ha) I really didn't particularly like Rory or Lorelai? I thought they were both OK to begin with but just found them both more and more insufferable as the seasons went on. Especially Rory in season 5, omg she was just vile to everyone and soo spoiled.
- Didn't really like any of Rory's love interests - even Jess was pretty awful to her by just taking off and ghosting her. Would have liked to have seen them reconnect to see how that would pan out though. I'm disappointed she never got together with Marty as he seemed nice! Logan was awful and smarmy and that scene in one of the last episodes where he's talking to Lorelai about his business ideas - ickkkk, also hated the nickname 'ace'
- Every single man in the series, well Rory and Lorelai's love interests at least, are insanely jealous
- Lane's whole storyline made me so sad, she never got to really live her own life and her mum was soo abusive to her, actually found a lot of her scenes quite upsetting to watch.
- For all their faults, I LOVED Emily and Richard, love their dynamic, they were so believable in their respective roles. Emily reminded me of my grandma sometimes ha! Love the episode where Richard's mum has died and Emily finds out she never wanted her to marry Richard and she stops giving a tit and is sat in her pyjamas getting drunk during the day 😂 there's a bit I love where she says "I think we should just throw some cheese cubes in the coffin, stuff some toothpicks in her mouth, and let them have at it" LOL
- Noone seems to have any friends??? Like when they're planning events it's always "I'll invite Sookie, Jackson, Lane..." and that's it haha
- The Luke finding out he's a dad storyline was weird although I did like seeing him stepping up as a dad. April and her lisp annoyed me too, glad I'm not the only one!
- I cried during the episode about Richard's heart attack (the second one) and the last one, knowing what's to come. The first episode of AYITL too - it felt like you could feel their genuine sadness at Edward Herrmann's death :(
- AYITL - a friend advised against watching this straight after Gilmore Girls so as not to ruin it but of course I didn't listen - actually thought the first episode wasn't too bad but didn't really enjoy it overall... a bit like how the Sex and the City reboot ruined the rest of the franchise for me. Some of it was just.. pointless? Like the whole Stars Hollow musical that went on forever and the Life and Death brigade scene (criiiiinge) loved seeing Emily navigate dealing with the loss of Richard and where Paris ended up (so fitting for her character) but the fact the other main characters showed zero progression pissed me off???? Like Rory who had basically still been bumming around doing F all for 10 years and was extra nasty to everyone - hated the fact she was cheating with Logan too :sick: Also Lorelai and Luke had been together for 10 years at this point and NEVER discussed getting married or having kids?? Riiiight. Found it all quite depressing by the end of it and that ending omg.

I sound very negative about both GG and AYITL hahaha but really enjoyed discovering both, I'm annoyed it took me so long and I never watched the first time round! Sad that it's over now and I have nothing to watch - got so used to spending my evenings watching!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Especially Rory in season 5, omg she was just vile to everyone and soo spoiled.
I just got to the bit in S5 where Logan tells Rory she's too special for him and I just think :sick:. I know the point is she is essentially the main character so it does revolve around her but it always grates on me how everyone flocks around her, telling her she's so amazing and special and so clever. Yes, she was clever but she only ended up where she did because her grandparents paid for Chilton. If she had stayed at Stars Hollow High, I highly doubt she would have ended up at any Ivy League school. I'm sure there were plenty of other girls at Yale who were also super smart, intelligent, and interesting but Logan makes out like she's the most amazing girl there. Like, really???

Reactions: 7
Agree that Rory becomes insufferable in season 5 and I want to add that she is NOT cut out to be a journalist! I know she has her shortcomings, but I absolutely adore Lorelai!

Paris is another of my faves.

I can't get on board with the Richard and Emily love. I enjoy watching their characters, but I think Richard is horrible to Lorelai, and ditto Emily. I can count on one hand the number of times either of them treat her with any respect. I love Kelly Bishop, though!

Reactions: 7
I love Emily! Not a big fan of Richard.
Once Rory goes to Yale and meets Logan I really dislike her.
Lorelai I like mostly but she also does a lot of things I can’t stand.
I love Paris!

Reactions: 2
I didn't mind April, I thought her nerdiness was quite sweet and funny. The storyline was handled so badly though with the way Luke kept it from Lorelai, and also Anna just being like "yeah Luke I never told you about her, now we are moving across the country and nothing you can do about it". I loved the episode where they have the sleepover in the diner.

I love Emily and Paris in the way that they are interesting to watch and really do steal the scenes they're in, but they are both awful people. 😂 The scene when Paris makes herself a bunker in the news room is so funny, but jeez imagine having to work with/be friends with her.

My toxic trait is that I think Mitchum Huntzberger was exactly right about Rory. She doesn't have "it" as a journalist! She ran back to Stars Hollow to be coddled every chance she got and we're expected to believe she wanted to be a foreign correspondent in potential war zones!? Never added up to me.

Reactions: 13
He was proven right by time we got AYITL. I can’t stand him but he was bang on with Rory.
The problem with Rory is that she has spent her entire life being told by everyone she was amazing and perfect at everything. The first time someone, anyone told her that she wasn’t was always going to be a bitter pill to swallow.

Reactions: 8
My toxic trait is that I think Mitchum Huntzberger was exactly right about Rory. She doesn't have "it" as a journalist! She ran back to Stars Hollow to be coddled every chance she got and we're expected to believe she wanted to be a foreign correspondent in potential war zones!? Never added up to me.
Yes all of this!!! She'd have been better going into teaching imo, maybe at Chilton - she's not got the resilience for a warzone quite clearly.

I personally have a massive soft spot for Lorelai, yes she makes mistakes and I don't agree with her mom/best friend parenting style but I love her spirit. The downfall of her relationship with Luke and marriage to Christopher is the worst storyline in the main series (AYITL doesn't count as cannon in my head hahah)

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Just got this episode and completely agree. She needed telling that she wasn't as wonderful and special as everyone told her and that she couldn't just do ANYTHING she wanted, but it came so late in life that she didn't know how to handle it.

I also wish that after waiting 4 seasons for the very obvious Luke/Lorelei romance to come to fruition, they had just let them have a happy ever after. The Lorelei/Chris dynamic throughout the whole show was ridiculous, in my opinion.

And I think S5 is one of the very few times I didn't like Emily all that much. She's still one of my favourites but her interfering with Lorelei and Luke and the overstepping with Rory was too far.

Coming to the end of season 7 and Lorelai is driving me mad. Has anyone noticed she hardly ever says 'I love you' to her loved ones? Maybe it's a side-effect of being raised by Emily and Richard (or maybe I'm too over affectionate haha) but I find it weird that she barely says it!

Also her way of handling break ups. OMG. Infuriating. They seem to have one fight and she's out the door, running away and calling it all off without properly communicating. Drives me mad! Especially when she drags Rory into it too. I might be in the minority but I do wonder if Lorelai would be better off single. She didn't seem to want to welcome any partner into her town or home (Chris or Luke) or properly commit and handle the normal peaks and troughs of a relationship.

Also the whole storyline of Marty and Lucy in S7 feels so drawn out and boring!

All that said, I love this show so much 😂

Coming to the end of season 7 and Lorelai is driving me mad. Has anyone noticed she hardly ever says 'I love you' to her loved ones? Maybe it's a side-effect of being raised by Emily and Richard (or maybe I'm too over affectionate haha) but I find it weird that she barely says it!

Also her way of handling break ups. OMG. Infuriating. They seem to have one fight and she's out the door, running away and calling it all off without properly communicating. Drives me mad! Especially when she drags Rory into it too. I might be in the minority but I do wonder if Lorelai would be better off single. She didn't seem to want to welcome any partner into her town or home (Chris or Luke) or properly commit and handle the normal peaks and troughs of a relationship.

Also the whole storyline of Marty and Lucy in S7 feels so drawn out and boring!

All that said, I love this show so much 😂
I can’t say I’ve noticed the lack of I love you. If anything to Rory, she is over the top with her language, she always tells her she’s brilliant, pretty etc.

I agree about her relationship. I do know of someone exactly like that in real life and it’s exhausting and I’m not on the receiving end! I think with Lorelai she is super independent and she is reluctant to relinquish any control or make changes to her life.

The Matty thing is annoying. Also because she called him what boyfriend? Why not his name? It’s like Carrie in sex and the city calling Big “Big” for six seasons. Bizarre.

Reactions: 1