Gender Discussions #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@chanandalerbong spot on, it seems that dysphoria has a lot in common with dysmorphia and eating disorders. You don't tell someone with an ED that they need to lose weight so why affirm and validate someone with GD that their body needs changing? There's an Irish TiF who is constantly in and out of hospital. That seems no way to live in my eyes

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Why does treatment not centre around encouraging a patient to accept and embrace their gender, spend time focusing their energy outward and channelling negative feelings through physical, productive and positive activities as opposed to putting their lives on hold and expecting happiness once a certain state of outward appearance is reached.
Completely agree. There’s a lot of cases of, for example, limb dysphoria where a patient feels that their arm isn’t ‘theirs’ and wants it amputated. We don’t amputate healthy limbs. We say these people don’t have capacity to make this decision and we give them therapy etc. For some reason yet again gender dysphoria is treated differently. Seems like we really need to be moving away from the idea that the body is ‘wrong’, it’s very clearly a brain problem yet now we aren’t allowed to say that?

Reactions: 12
Completely agree. There’s a lot of cases of, for example, limb dysphoria where a patient feels that their arm isn’t ‘theirs’ and wants it amputated. We don’t amputate healthy limbs. We say these people don’t have capacity to make this decision and we give them therapy etc. For some reason yet again gender dysphoria is treated differently. Seems like we really need to be moving away from the idea that the body is ‘wrong’, it’s very clearly a brain problem yet now we aren’t allowed to say that?
I'm sure I've seen a TV show where someone wanted a limb removed and it was done...😬

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 5
I agree with this, I think for many people this just seems like "if I change this I will feel better" rather than dealing with internal issues. I remember thinking the same when I was severely depressed and in the throws of an awful ED, I always thought I would feel better if I lived elsewhere/was thinner/had a boyfriend. Shock horror I did all of these things and it made no difference, going to therapy and dealing with my issues did
Just want to second this. As someone who has struggled since the age of 15 with an ED I was never once encouraged to embrace my illness.
We are taught that mental illness is not a stigma but the moment you suggest gender dysphoria is a mental illness you're shot down.
There is research and evidence that suggests the gender dysphoria is similar to having an eating disorder. It tends to occur at puberty and there is a lot of anguish around your changing body.

Reactions: 11
I'm sure I've seen a TV show where someone wanted a limb removed and it was done...😬
I think they do it in America.

Just read this article https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metr...rers-to-amputate-their-own-limbs-8023938/amp/

A bit down the page there’s a woman who has BIID and also gender dysphoria (adds weight to idea it’s a brain problem surely) the sentence ‘I was 6 when I knew I wanted to be an amputee’ or whatever it says is chilling. Yet when a 6 year old says same of being trans everyone’s happy about it. 🙃

• Wow
Reactions: 8
A lot of doctors will also refuse to perform a female vasectomy if a woman is deemed ‘too young’ in case they change their mind later on. No issue transing a 6 year old though

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Also trans people say gender dysphoria is not a mental illness but then they'll also demand access to 'healthcare'- healthcare usually being drugs and surgery. Which is it?

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Exactly. It’s not the body that’s “wrong” it’s something that isn’t right with the mind. And you don’t treat issues with the mind by “yeeting those teets” or HRT.

• Heart
bleeping hell it's so messed up.
When I was little I was your classic tomboy (I don't really like that term). I had short hair, I loved being feral and I loved playing the boy in games like playing the groom. This was back in the 80s and 90s. There was nothing particularly unusual about this but it was innocent and meant nothing.
I just worry now that me as a 7 year old would have been placed on puberty blockers and told I was a boy.
At that age you have no agency or no understanding.

Also trans people say gender dysphoria is not a mental illness but then they'll also demand access to 'healthcare'- healthcare usually being drugs and surgery. Which is it?
This is such a good point.

Reactions: 13
And they see any attempts to make them at peace with their body as 'conversion therapy'. Whereas I would say that transing a gender non conforming kid has way more in common with conversion therapy than the reverse

• Heart
Their messages are so mixed. Demanding healthcare but decrying that it is isn’t a medical cobdition.

I also don’t get how they now like to say you “don’t need dysphoria to be trans.” Errr, what? If you aren’t experiencing a dysphoric feeling, then what makes them trans?

• Heart
There's even a name for old school transsexuals who claim that you can't be trans without GD- truscum. Says it all

It's also because the Stonewall definition has changed to include everything in the 'trans' umbrella- cross dressers, for example

That's why they believe you don't need dysphoria to be trans and it's another reason why this whole ideology is messed up

Reactions: 16
A lot of doctors will also refuse to perform a female vasectomy if a woman is deemed ‘too young’ in case they change their mind later on. No issue transing a 6 year old though
I was about to say this, I had a friend who was married to her partner, mid 20s, neither wanted children and she was sick of being on the pill, no doctor would do it for her "in case she changed her mind"

• Angry
Reactions: 12
I was about to say this, I had a friend who was married to her partner, mid 20s, neither wanted children and she was sick of being on the pill, no doctor would do it for her "in case she changed her mind"
Yep. A friend of mine in her mid 30s. She has been asking for over 10yrs and she is still refused.

• Sad
  • Angry
It's so sad that if she said she was trans and that getting pregnant would cause dysphoria it would probably be taken more seriously

Reactions: 11
Yep. A friend of mine in her mid 30s. She has been asking for over 10yrs and she is still refused.
I have just remembered it was even worse than this - she was also told "but what if you divorce and a future relationship wants children" I think she reported the doctor

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
@chanandalerbong spot on, it seems that dysphoria has a lot in common with dysmorphia and eating disorders.
And both dysphoria and EDs have strong links with autism (diagnosed or undiagnosed).

It’s blatantly obvious that gender dysphoria is a mental health condition and it should be treated as such. But it’s now considered offensive and bigoted to state that.

IIRC it was AGPs who campaigned for dysphoria to be declassified as a mental health condition and, by extension, the affirmation model. This tit has filtered up to the World Health Organization 😭 But who else would be capable of such change, other than white heterosexual men?

Reactions: 6
I have just remembered it was even worse than this - she was also told "but what if you divorce and a future relationship wants children" I think she reported the doctor
I had exactly the same thing (my reply was 'If he wanted children then he's not the right person for me') and my GP told me I'd have to make an appointment to see him together with my husband if I wanted a referral. It took me 5 years, 2 GPs, 2 gynaecologists and they even made me see a psychiatrist for two sessions, who was so annoyed that his attempt to hypnotise me failed that he sat on my notes for a year and refused to write back to the gynaecologists. I had to write some icily polite letters to the Primary Care Trust and threaten to get my MP involved before I finally got my tubes tied at 28. I doubt very much they'd do it at all these days, I'd have had to go private. Now 45 and it still remains one of the best decisions I ever made.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.