Gender Discussions #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Are we allowed to say woman now? Genuinely not goading here I’m just confused as to what’s right and wrong these days,
I don’t really care what anyone wants to identify as but why am I the bad guy for finding this all.. overwhelming
can I say bad guy? The bad cis?? The bad *identifies as female but doesn’t want to insult by using the word female*

I’ve never in my life judged, bullied or attacked someone for the choices they make in life but I feel like people are now being shamed for not being able to navigate this mind field.

I watched a news report this morning and heard people being referred to as sis and Thought jesus this has been a crazy year, not only are we navigating our way through a pandemic you can now offend someone by breathing in an overly straight/female manner.

Ill regret typing this I just feel the pressure to NOT offend has gone off the scale, when it seems like everything you do or say offends someone
Congratulations! You have “peak transed”. We’ve all been there.

And this is a thread full of non-bigoted people with non-hateful opinions, we just care about the rights of women. I’m glad you’ve decided not to avoid it anymore.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Also amazing biology lesson from Clare regarding how breastfeeding actually works. Also men have breasts too.
Men have a small amount of breast tissue but they do not have breasts.

Is this the new excuse to get us all to call breastfeeding “chestfeeding”.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Congratulations! You have “peak transed”. We’ve all been there.

And this is a thread full of non-bigoted people with non-hateful opinions, we just care about the rights of women. I’m glad you’ve decided not to avoid it anymore.
I genuinely held off pressing “post reply” thinking I’d get reported for hate speech or being and “angry non inclusive cis”..... and I don’t even know what I’m doing anymore 😅😂

we’re back to women staying in the kitchen staying quite, unless you weren’t a woman from birth, then you can speak because you’re allowed to be outraged, I don’t want to offend anyone but if you say one thing “wrong” your cancelled 😥

chest feeding is just a level of WTF nobody can defend.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Has anyone seen Oz Katerji’s meltdown on Twitter? Would link but it’s several tweets and threads so quite difficult

Reactions: 5
I think what bothers me most is when trans people presume to speak for women, gay men, or some other minority group when they haven't been living in that role very long and will never truly be part of the group. One of my "peak trans" moments was when I was watching a Feminist Frequency video - Anita Sarkeesian now presents along with a Black woman and a transwoman. The middle-aged, obviously male transwoman was talking about "how women feel about X" and I thought: what would you know? You aren't a woman and everyone can see you're not! Similarly there is a transwoman very active on Twitter who is a university professor in Japan and speaks like he's an expert on how women living in Japan feel, he is of course a "late transitioner". And a lot of young transmen like to talk about their views "as a gay/queer trans man ..." You know nothing about being a gay man, and gay men won't accept you as one of them. That's the harsh truth.

Reactions: 12
The middle-aged, obviously male transwoman was talking about "how women feel about X" and I thought: what would you know? You aren't a woman and everyone can see you're not!
It bothers me a lot when anyone does this, including women who say stuff like ‘well I’m a woman and I think trans women are women so what’s the big deal’ like bully for you, women aren’t a homogenous group. One can’t speak for us all and similarly one woman being okay e.g. with sharing toilets with bio men cannot consent for us all. Don’t know if the arrogance or the blatant internalised misogyny disgusts me more tbh.

He's an absolute grade-A shitbag, that one.
He’s now likening the valid criticism he’s received over the past day to when he’s been called a terrorist because of his previous work on ISIS etc. Absolute head.

Reactions: 9
Yes, agree with this. An it also highlights the changing of language, especially in the last paragraph surrounding the word ‘queer’ and the umbrella-like way that word and words like it are used. “Should I tell the queer group how I was treated”? It wasn’t a queer group, it was a gay men’s group and that woman is not a gay man (if it’s even real).
It says a lot that this delusional straight woman thought a gay men’s orgy was going to be “a queer get together with men of all gender expressions”. I mean, how naive can you get? Did she think they were going to be sitting around chatting and eating slices of cake? I guarantee you her “queer group” is full of trans/non-binary people, rather than being straightforward gay men and lesbians, and it’s blinded her to the reality of same sex attraction.

In many ways I feel like “queer” is erasing “gay” as a descriptor, just like “woman” is being erased. “Gay” isn’t inclusive enough. It might even be... transphobic. Wait until gay men start having strong opinions about female-bodied people invading their spaces. They haven’t had to speak up yet because female-bodied people tend not to be as bold as the girl in the Reddit post. But just you wait...

Just as an aside, I saw a post on FB this week from Channel 4 about It’s A Sin, and older gay men were objecting to the use of “queer” instead of “gay”, because to them, it’s still a slur. Only the modern definition of queer is happiness and rainbows and so inclusive, essentially everyone is queer.

Reactions: 12
Unfortunately, there are women like Freddy McConnell who claim to have dysphoria and think of themselves as men, yet somehow miraculously, temporarily manage to come to terms with their female biology by getting pregnant and giving birth (she is currently pregnant again I believe.) Which, if their dysphoria at being a woman was so detrimental to their mental health (as they often claim), surely the ultimate act of womanhood is being pregnant and giving birth. It’s funny that their dysphoria is able to suspended like that isn’t it?

Thankfully, McConnell failed in her 2019 High Court bid to be named as the father on her first child’s birth certificate. But I would imagine this type of initiative is aimed at people like her. Whatever stupid language initiatives are used, the facts are that ONLY women can get pregnant, give birth and breastfeed.

It is an outrage that medical professionals are pandering to the wants of a very tiny minority at the expense of women once again.
I'm really not sure how to feel about people like Freddy and the birth certificate stuff as it seems ridiculous to me. You can absolutely be FTM and live and present as a man. No issue. However, you've chosen to transition and for me, that means you "give up" your former identity as a woman which means no pregnancies. Agreed on dysphoria - surely you would never want to be pregnant if you present as a man? I can't get my head around it.

As a woman who doesn't want children I've found that that is the only thing that's ever made me feel like not a proper woman, and something I've really had to fight back against expectations from others and myself. There's a real stigma a lot of the time. Poeple like Freddy completely baffle me.
Same here. Slightly OT but it is really tough when the things you've done and achieved don't seem to mean anything because you don't have or want kids.

Reactions: 10
I think what bothers me most is when trans people presume to speak for women, gay men, or some other minority group when they haven't been living in that role very long and will never truly be part of the group. One of my "peak trans" moments was when I was watching a Feminist Frequency video - Anita Sarkeesian now presents along with a Black woman and a transwoman. The middle-aged, obviously male transwoman was talking about "how women feel about X" and I thought: what would you know? You aren't a woman and everyone can see you're not! Similarly there is a transwoman very active on Twitter who is a university professor in Japan and speaks like he's an expert on how women living in Japan feel, he is of course a "late transitioner". And a lot of young transmen like to talk about their views "as a gay/queer trans man ..." You know nothing about being a gay man, and gay men won't accept you as one of them. That's the harsh truth.
On top of that what bothers me are the men online who defend fervently transwomen. It screams male solidarity.

Reactions: 10
In many ways I feel like “queer” is erasing “gay” as a descriptor, just like “woman” is being erased. “Gay” isn’t inclusive enough. It might even be... transphobic.
Not even just gay. A few years ago, after telling her how I didn’t and wouldn’t identify as queer, my heterosexual ‘queer’ friend told me how difficult that would make things for her.
Its like the word queer has been set out to erase actual lgb issues and experiences and to be inclusive to all who want attention.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
My issue with the word queer is heterosexual people jumping on the bandwagon to be more interesting- for instance, Jameela Jamil, someone who lives with a man, claiming to be queer.

Reactions: 11
My issue with the word queer is heterosexual people jumping on the bandwagon to be more interesting- for instance, Jameela Jamil, someone who lives with a man, claiming to be queer.
She's not someone who's taken seriously though. She's a laughing stock and has fake followers so not much damage done.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
She's not someone who's taken seriously though. She's a laughing stock and has fake followers so not much damage done.
She just said that because of that ballroom nonsense drama that she's in. She's an attention bleep, that's it.

Reactions: 4
What is this supposed to mean? I’m baffled?
In this particular case it means a heterosexual woman who wanted to go to Pride but then saw an article about why straight people shouldn’t go so all of a sudden was queer and anyone who questioned or assumed got their head bitten off.

Though this is the same person who asked me what cis meant one morning and by the evening was posting on fb about the evils of cis privilege so... I don’t know.

but surely describing something as heterosexual and queer is an oxymoron?
Sorry I should have been more clear. I used heterosexual queer to highlight how ridiculous the situation was.
basically she was heterosexual but called herself queer.

Reactions: 8
In this particular case it means a heterosexual woman who wanted to go to Pride but then saw an article about why straight people shouldn’t go so all of a sudden was queer and anyone who questioned or assumed got their head bitten off.

Though this is the same person who asked me what cis meant one morning and by the evening was posting on fb about the evils of cis privilege so... I don’t know.

Sorry I should have been more clear. I used heterosexual queer to highlight how ridiculous the situation was.
basically she was heterosexual but called herself queer.
ah okay, that makes more sense!

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.