Gender Discussion #17

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can't remember where I heard this, but someone said MERF is more accurate than TERF (i.e. male exclusionary radical feminist) as radfems don't really have a problem with trans-identified females in their spaces as they are still by definition, female.

He's not everyone's cup of tea, but David Starkey has a new channel on the YouTube, his latest video is on academic freedom and he's talking about Kathleen Stock. It's good this discussion is reaching an audience that we may not otherwise engage with.

Reactions: 15
This gorgeous gal has a gofund me for their GCS, some idiots have actually raised £5500 🤯 imagine if that money went to people who actually need it!
Someone I went to school with raised a similar amount for his transition. :rolleyes: It's mad the money they get.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
The Times opinion column is about freedom of speech and mentions Kathleen Stock.
Also Terry Gilliam’s latest Production has been sacked off by the Old Vic as some staff members had concerns about his views on Dave Chapelle. Comments are shredding old vic as it has public funding - I hope the production moves to another theatre and sells out.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 9
Some people are still afraid of being called a TERF I think, too. I had this conversation with a relative the other day, she has very TERF views but when I pointed that out to her she was all 'oh, I'm not a TERF though.' I said to her that I'm very much a TERF and the views she has would be considered TERFY ones and she looked puzzled. The internet has done a good job at making people think that very normal and commonly held views are associated with a word that is clearly used as a slur. Personally I'm not deterred by mindless name-calling and I'd rather be a TERF than a misogynist but some people are still bothered by it.
I agree, even now I know what TERF really means I still skim over it and have the idea in my mind that it is something negative, having seen it described as such for so long

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I saw that Richard Dawkins has a book coming out on the 11th - that'll be why he's piping up now, to get some publicity. I'm sure he'll go right back to saying TWAW again post-release day :rolleyes:

It really does show in the media coverage how men and women talking about these things are treated so differently. RD is basically getting 'oh, this fuddy duddy doesn't know what he's saying, this is why he's wrong' articles written about him, whereas women like Atwood and JK were being sent multiple death threats, being doxxed (in Atwood's case) and having articles (and even charities in JK's case) saying that they are responsible for people killing themselves.

Gee, I wonder why.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
The Times opinion column is about freedom of speech and mentions Kathleen Stock.
Also Terry Gilliam’s latest Production has been sacked off by the Old Vic as some staff members had concerns about his views on Dave Chapelle. Comments are shredding old vic as it has public funding - I hope the production moves to another theatre and sells out.
Regarding Terry Gilliam. It's getting beyond sinister now when a theatre business will cancel a production because some of their staff had "concerns over the producer's views". And those views were liking a comedy show on Netflix. Businesses truly need to ignore their mentally ill blue haired employees.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15
They bleeping love labeling themselves don't they.

I've also said, I never trust anyone that volunteers too much personal information about themselves too quickly. Theyre always either liars, or nuts and are always attention seekers.
This. If someone did this in a team meeting I would definitely be the "blinking face gif" because I wouldn't need any words to convey my disdain, just my face 😂🙄

Regarding Terry Gilliam. It's getting beyond sinister now when a theatre business will cancel a production because some of their staff had "concerns over the producer's views". And those views were liking a comedy show on Netflix. Businesses truly need to ignore their mentally ill blue haired employees.
Exactly. His view about a tv show has nothing to do about the production and it punishes the whole team for no reason. Cancellation culture sickens me.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Those blue haired employees would be shocked if they knew what was going on in the majority of the public’s minds on the trans debate. What do they want people to do, declare all their views and political standpoint at job interviews so they never have to work with a person who doesn’t think exactly the same as them 🤔 bizarre

Reactions: 11
Also Terry Gilliam’s latest Production has been sacked off by the Old Vic
The Old Vic doesn’t care about women. It made that clear when they promised to double the number of women's loos only to make them self selection with men getting the extra option of 18 urinals.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
Well done to everyone who wrote in about liking the BBC article!

Over 16,000 people signed the letter against the article. Only 5000 could be bothered to actually complain 🤣 I wonder how many alt accounts were on that letter.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Well done to everyone who wrote in about liking the BBC article!

Over 16,000 people signed the letter against the article. Only 5000 could be bothered to actually complain 🤣 I wonder how many alt accounts were on that letter.
I'm glad I wrote in to praise it now, good to see it count 👍 The BBC and places like this need to look at numbers in order to make decisions about content so I suppose they will see that whilst it is a contentious topic, there are sane people out there who actually care about women's safety, and Lesbian rights. This has actually cheered me up a bit.

• Heart
Some people are still afraid of being called a TERF I think, too. I had this conversation with a relative the other day, she has very TERF views but when I pointed that out to her she was all 'oh, I'm not a TERF though.' I said to her that I'm very much a TERF and the views she has would be considered TERFY ones and she looked puzzled. The internet has done a good job at making people think that very normal and commonly held views are associated with a word that is clearly used as a slur. Personally I'm not deterred by mindless name-calling and I'd rather be a TERF than a misogynist but some people are still bothered by it.
I have a friend the same. She's upset about tge erasure of the word woman but was also 'how do you say that without sounding like jk rowling' and 'I'm not a terf'.

Problem is that what she said IS exactly what Jk said.

Reactions: 11
I can't find a link that works but I rewatched Tracey Ullman's woke support group sketch yesterday - very funny.

Reactions: 6
I know some older trans women who pass relatively well and I suspect they're as horrified by this as we are.
A lot are. A good friend of mine is an old-school transsexual (that's what she calls herself) and she is appalled at what's going on.

Reactions: 12
Aimee Challenor is a fat greasy lump and a disgusting waste of human skin. I can smell him even looking at his photo. Amazing to think he managed to have such influence over the green party
Every now and again I’m reminded of how AC was embraced by the Lib Dems and the Greens and think… HOW?

Challenor gives off creepy weirdo vibes in photos. There’s no way he didn’t give off creepy weirdo vibes in person. But that didn’t matter. All that mattered was his trans identity (never mind the fact that was a smokescreen for a laundry list of disgusting paraphilias) giving the party some much-needed 🌈 points. How easy it is for gross TIM to waltz into these jobs? We see it played out so often in politics (what happened to Lily Madigan?) and the media 🤢

• Sick
Lily Madigan seems to have disappeared off the public and social media radar completely - 23 now, so must have finished university, and hopefully disappeared quietly into the world of work and a peaceful life. Last Instagram post was April 2020, signing up to the Royal Voluntary Service to help out the NHS, which I applaud wholeheartedly.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.