Gender Discussion #12

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

all I can say is ew, to the video, the poster and the comments.

View attachment 673733My feminism doesn’t involve men. Stop licking the boots of men and falling for their obvious rehash of feminism. Sheep.
Ruined feminism for everyone 😂 yet AGP males didn't give a tit about women or feminism until they decided they were female.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I have no interest in a man telling me what is and isn’t misogynist in the same way that I wouldn’t expect a black person to have to listen to a white person’s hot take on racism.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Especially now our society is experiencing a double whammy situation of (1) more and more celebrities using surrogates and normalising surrogacy, and (2) the general public’s view of surrogacy is that it’s a simply a lovely and selfless thing to do.

I can well imagine women being pressurised by families to help out, for example, their siblings who can’t conceive (be it due to health issues or being male). Because surrogacy is normal now. No big deal. And the negatives (physically and emotionally) are totally outweighed by the positives 🙄
Better get your red cloaks ready all you fertile myrtles. The trans women want babies.

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 13

all I can say is ew, to the video, the poster and the comments.

View attachment 673733My feminism doesn’t involve men. Stop licking the boots of men and falling for their obvious rehash of feminism. Sheep.
That comment....

Some of these girlies don't know anything about Feminism's history, and it shows. Some of these girlies have been primed and groomed to centre their activism around people who don't give a duck about them, and it shows.

We've HAD a bad name forever, ever since women dared to want to vote and didn't stay in their place. They'll scream up and down about 'eDuCaTe yOuRsElF' but don't know a thing about, well, anything, but especially the fact that any woman who has dared to speak up has been demonised, all throughout history.

Also, unrelated, but if anyone gets the Helen Joyce Trans book and reads it, pls give us an update on your thoughts! I want to read it anyways, but have a bunch of other reads to get to first so it'll be a while.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I'm going to a talk by Helen Joyce this weekend. I'll post an update after. What's already a sign of our times is that the venue has not been announced and I will receive an email an hour beforehand, because they want to avoid TRAs disrupting the event. It's crazy to me. Are 'terfs' protesting or disrupting trans events? I would genuinely like to know - I certainly would never try to stop or disrupt a talk by a trans person.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
Also, unrelated, but if anyone gets the Helen Joyce Trans book and reads it, pls give us an update on your thoughts! I want to read it anyways, but have a bunch of other reads to get to first so it'll be a while.
Pardon me but are we able to share soft copies of books here? I can share a PDF/ePub version of the book, if anyone is interested.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I'm going to a talk by Helen Joyce this weekend. I'll post an update after. What's already a sign of our times is that the venue has not been announced and I will receive an email an hour beforehand, because they want to avoid TRAs disrupting the event. It's crazy to me. Are 'terfs' protesting or disrupting trans events? I would genuinely like to know - I certainly would never try to stop or disrupt a talk by a trans person.
I've seen Sister's Uncut in public - they were flanked by some very burly looking TIMs. Not a trans event per se, but infiltrated and it showed.

Out of my radfem friends in the US - no. Because the venn diagram of TRAs and Antifa is a circle. And where Antifa go, Proud Boys follow

Reactions: 5
I'm almost finished reading it, and it's excellent. It won't be covering much new ground for anyone who has followed this debate (although there was stuff about the history of transsexualism, and the USA TRA lobby that was new to me) but it's very well written and researched, and will inform a lot of people about what's going on.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Pardon me but are we able to share soft copies of books here? I can share a PDF/ePub version of the book, if anyone is interested.
I think those interested should buy it or get it from the library if possible so that she benefits from her work.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I'm almost finished reading it, and it's excellent. It won't be covering much new ground for anyone who has followed this debate (although there was stuff about the history of transsexualism, and the USA TRA lobby that was new to me) but it's very well written and researched, and will inform a lot of people about what's going on.
Agreed, I'm 2/3 the way through, not much new per se (to someone following the debate closely) but it sums up the various ingredients in the debate and it is accessible to understand, i.e. it isn't overly scholarly. I think there is a lot in it that can be quoted and referred to in discussion. I liked Material Girl (Stock) to but am finding Trans (Joyce) to be an easier read.

I think this would be a book that you could send/recommend to someone who isn't that aware and it would open their eyes.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I quite like this review in The Observer - it's pretty nuanced - I especially like this paragraph that, for once, doesn't say 'gender critical people want women to go back to the 1950s'

To gender-critical thinkers, gender is a social construct imposed on women and to be resisted, since it’s driven by what men want them to be (Stock describes herself as a gender non-conforming lesbian). But trans people use the phrase “gender identity” to mean an innate sense of being male or female, which is fundamental to their identity because it explains why they reject the sex others perceive them as. To one side, gender is a terrible trap; to the other, it’s liberation from a trap. That leads to conflict over whether discrimination law should prioritise protecting gender identity – crucial to trans people – or biological sex, on which women’s rights have historically depended. Debate is further complicated by the fact that trans activists see any refusal to accept declared gender identity as transphobic or hateful; Stock, however, argues that any philosophical concept should be capable of being generally debated, albeit with due sensitivity and respect for individuals’ rights not to be discriminated against. How can such polar opposites ever be reconciled?

Reactions: 13
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...the-facts-of-biology-trump-ideology-txtm00rf2 Catching up, so this maybe have been shared. But a good review about getting 'off the fence' so to speak.

I had several people quote me in the past thread but I can't reply directly for obvious reasons.

I was making the point that drag isn't generally misogynistic. Of course I can't say none of it is, but most of it is a celebration of women. A few 'shock' names doesn't change that. Yes some of it non-PC but it's meant to be tongue in cheek.
I do not feel celebrated by it. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Agreed, I'm 2/3 the way through, not much new per se (to someone following the debate closely) but it sums up the various ingredients in the debate and it is accessible to understand, i.e. it isn't overly scholarly. I think there is a lot in it that can be quoted and referred to in discussion. I liked Material Girl (Stock) to but am finding Trans (Joyce) to be an easier read.

I think this would be a book that you could send/recommend to someone who isn't that aware and it would open their eyes.
I'm only the first few chapters in but it's very good so far. I read Shrier and thought it generally good but I felt she put a little too much of her own emotion and feelings into things or made extrapolations which are possible but which she never bore out entirely by facts (there was a bit where she wondered if ROGD is happening because kids don't hang out at the mall anymore but we do also know that things like psychosomatic illnesses do predate the internet.) Anyway, it feels like this is much more about the facts and about the history of trans ideas and not so much about the author.

Reactions: 6
I do not feel celebrated by it. 🤷‍♀️
Nor do I.

A few 'shock' names - that's one way of putting it. How can it possibly be celebrating women, to 'pun' on an often traumatic procedure like an abortion? You don't get female performers dressing up as men and calling themselves "Prostate Cancer-dancer" or "Eric Tyle Dysfunctionne".

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Really feel bad for Gen z - they are living a more online life, they all have anxiety, they aren’t having sex or drinking, they all smoke weed. Being a teenager now doesn’t look that fun - hopefully they all snap out of it’s
I'm glad I had my young years in the 90s. No social media, no phones, none of this gender woo woo crap.

I'm glad I had my young years in the 90s. No social media, no phones, none of this gender woo woo crap.
100%. It isn’t necessarily their fault, but I find this generation of teens/young adults painfully obnoxious and neurotic.

EdUcAtE UrSeLf
TrAnSpHoBiA
AlLiEs
CoMmUnItY
TeRf
MeNtUl HeAlFfFf

Like teenagers/young adults didn’t exist or have brains before now 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 15
No art, music or culture from the most insufferable youth movement of all time, just constant complaining and victimhood

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.