Gemma Atkinson

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's not a child learning a new language at a random age though. She's not having lessons for an hour a week at school in a randomly selected language.
It's her father's native tongue. She's been spoken to in Spanish since birth and watched children's TV in Spanish since birth too.
From his and her's posts since Mia's birth, it's clear she understands pretty much everything said to her and is picking up spoken word too.
She's not 'learning' Spanish, as such (not like you mean anyway). She's just being brought up bilingual. Like many children around the world. Which has been shown to be hugely beneficial to child development and further learning.

You're completely wrong on this and they're doing it in the exact way most professionals suggest it be done for someone to be fully fluent.
Let me be clear (as if I haven't already)

Gemma and Gorka have said they have a rule that in the morning they expect Mia to speak ONLY in Spanish.

My opinion ( Not im right, they are wrong just my opinion which I'm allowed) would be to let her just pick it up as she goes casualy and without prompting or correcting if she slips into English it doesnt matter as she has all her life to be fluent, no rush or rules needed .

Reactions: 1
Rave thread or not, I get what you mean.
If Gemma had said that in the mornings they only have Spanish TV on then that would be fine, but as you said she said that it was Spanish only in the morning.
If Mia was being bought up multilingual, then Spanish would be spoken all the time and Spanish TV would be on whenever.
I understand that there has to be a balance in a multi cultural home with languages, but Gemma didn't explain it very well.
Mia did look uncomfortable having to say Gracias and it didn't look natrual for her when normally she doesn't seem to have a problem speaking when a phone is pointed at her, which is sad in itself and a whole other topic.
I would like to think that Gorka speaks to her in Spanish all the time and that she will be fluent in both languages, but as its not something she's shown then it appears that's not the case as Gemma will show her speaking all the time.
Each to their own in a mixed language home, but I do understand what you're trying to say

• Heart
Reactions: 6
It’s not a foreign language to Mia. She is multilingual. Just like her Dad.
The bilingual children I have worked with in the past usually don’t need lessons in either language. It comes naturally to them. If they are home all day with a Spanish speaking Mum for example and have an English speaking father then they speak Spanish all day and then continue to converse in English in the evening as a family or vice versa, parents will often choose to send them to an English speaking school if the country of residence is Spanish speaking therefor their days are split between immersion in both languages.

Unfortunately Gorka is working away a lot whilst she is young and Gemma doesn’t appear to have much in the way of conversational Spanish and Mia spends the majority of her time with English speakers.

so while she may learn Spanish I don’t believe she will be naturally bilingual. I think it will be down to her having to study it.

my opinion based on work and travel -

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Rave thread or not, I get what you mean.
If Gemma had said that in the mornings they only have Spanish TV on then that would be fine, but as you said she said that it was Spanish only in the morning.
If Mia was being bought up multilingual, then Spanish would be spoken all the time and Spanish TV would be on whenever.
I understand that there has to be a balance in a multi cultural home with languages, but Gemma didn't explain it very well.
Mia did look uncomfortable having to say Gracias and it didn't look natrual for her when normally she doesn't seem to have a problem speaking when a phone is pointed at her, which is sad in itself and a whole other topic.
I would like to think that Gorka speaks to her in Spanish all the time and that she will be fluent in both languages, but as its not something she's shown then it appears that's not the case as Gemma will show her speaking all the time.
Each to their own in a mixed language home, but I do understand what you're trying to say
Thanks cupcake love x

• Heart
I don’t know why it irritates me so much but when she talks about stuff Gorka has said she puts on a voice and accent - I find it so rude! If I was telling somewhat what an Indian person said to me and did that I’d be called racist!

Reactions: 6
I don’t know why it irritates me so much but when she talks about stuff Gorka has said she puts on a voice and accent - I find it so rude! If I was telling somewhat what an Indian person said to me and did that I’d be called racist!
I dunno. I mock BIL and niece/nephews accents, and the kids mock mine. We're just from different parts of the UK. It's just jest.

Reactions: 7
Accents are weird. I have lived up north since I was 11 but I was born in the midlands. My old accent comes and goes according to my mood, who I am talking with (mainly parents) and what I am talking about. My husband always finds me amusing when I talk about my childhood and I regress to my old midlands accent.

My family is a mix of English, Australian and Scottish accents and we all do impressions of each other - all done with affection most of the time 😆

Reactions: 4
I love Gemma, I laughed at her post yesterday when she clocked herself on the screen and said “look at the size of me”

Reactions: 7
So they’re doing a reality tv show… She lives her life on Insta, surely there can’t be much more to it for a tv show?? 🤔🤔 What a bunch of sell outs, I would’ve never thought she’d do something like that 🙄🙄

• Sad
So they’re doing a reality tv show… She lives her life on Insta, surely there can’t be much more to it for a tv show?? 🤔🤔 What a bunch of sell outs, I would’ve never thought she’d do something like that 🙄🙄
Come to the non rave thread 😁
It’s the same as in the style. Considering she is meant to be a do gooder such as animal lover and caring for the planet you wouldn’t think she’d go with a fast fashion brand

Reactions: 5
Can someone please link the non rave thread? Cheers

They both have the same title

At risk of being shot down in flames, I like them and I'm really looking forward to seeing more of them on the TV, soz 😆

• Haha
Not like either of them to have no stories up. Might be time for baby to arrive.

Reactions: 5