Gemma Atkinson #3 Not a rave thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The sad irony is they think children should sleep alone every night because grown adults need to sleep next to each other. How many adults miss their partner or don’t sleep as well when they are away overnight? Which is fine but then some like Gem expect young children to not want to be with their parents whilst at the same time needing their partner.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
The sad irony is they think children should sleep alone every night because grown adults need to sleep next to each other. How many adults miss their partner or don’t sleep as well when they are away overnight? Which is fine but then some like Gem expect young children to not want to be with their parents whilst at the same time needing their partner.
100% this.
We expect babies and young children to feel safe and comforted when alone in a room but how many adults don't like sleeping alone?
Would you leave your partner crying in another room and call it tough love?
The only thing these babies are learning is that no matter how much you express you're upset or require needs met, that nobody comes. You soon come to realise that communication does not equal basic needs met or comfort. And that equates to being a cold unattached emotionless adult.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 29
I was about to post this. He's not trying to manipulate you Gem. He's a newborn, I hate it when people make out babies need "tough love" she's so simple.
Exactly! and when she talked about Mia “trying it it on” in reference to her literally just wanting some love from her parents?! not like she was being naughty or anything at all

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
I'd be interested to know is she was ever this cold, detached and harsh with her dogs.

I know people who sleep train their kids and force detachment, but then cannot bear to let their dogs out of their sight/be upset and have them sleeping in their bed etc.
It's twisted.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
I'd be interested to know is she was ever this cold, detached and harsh with her dogs.

I know people who sleep train their kids and force detachment, but then cannot bear to let their dogs out of their sight/be upset and have them sleeping in their bed etc.
It's twisted.
We've seen this with quite a few influencers. Kate Lawler, Zoella, for example. Seem to put alot into being a dog parent and really enjoy it but kids are a step in the responsibility too far. Dogs tend to be easier to control and don't need as many needs met.
They're always the self important people it seems.

Reactions: 10
When my youngest was born, my three year old cried to sleep in our room with us because "you all get to sleep together and I'm alone in my room". Broke my heart so we had all 4 of us in the bed/side cot 🤣. It was madness but I look back on it with fondness. It was like a big sleepover, the baby would wake to feed and we would all be awake raiding my snack box 😴🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
When my youngest was born, my three year old cried to sleep in our room with us because "you all get to sleep together and I'm alone in my room". Broke my heart so we had all 4 of us in the bed/side cot 🤣. It was madness but I look back on it with fondness. It was like a big sleepover, the baby would wake to feed and we would all be awake raiding my snack box 😴🤣
I'm childfree so haven't had this but it sounds lovely and I bet it created a bond like no other. A true family unit feeling.
I simply can not understand how anyone could leave their child to cry. I wouldn't trust that person it just seems sinister and cold.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Gemma needs her sleep so she has energy for her 5am workouts, that's her priority.

I think the dogs do sleep upstairs, she's mentioned carrying them up. I bet they sleep in her room.

Reactions: 17
By 2018, my kids were 11 and 8 and I could finally afford a super king bed so that’s what I bought so we’d have more room when they came in if they needed to. Previously it was a right squeeze.

my youngest is severely asthmatic and even now, I have him next to me if he’s poorly to keep an eye on him and boot the other half out.

It’s a very Victorian view point that children should be seen and not heard.

• Heart
I have zero time for any adult that has an animal in their bed but not their own baby. I honestly thing there is something so wrong in that. My mum was horrible and absolutely should not have been a mum, I don’t remember sleeping much as a kid, just in a dark room and scared but knowing I couldn’t even say I was sacred. I promised I’d never do that to my child, it would kill me and it’s awful. I admit to not being the most maternal mother but I’ve spent the last year sleeping on the sofa in the lounge next to my son who sleeps on a pull out bed, he was awake at 3am the other night because he was scared about dying in his sleep, was I absolutely knackered, yes, is my body getting too old to sleep on a sofa, abit 🤣 but what matters more than anything is his right to feel safe and secure especially in the middle of the night when everything feels a million times more scary for most people, even adults!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 25
As a former nanny I could easily pick out the parents that 'cried it out' with their babies even when those kids were school age, it creates a permeant detachment in the relationship. More than one mother admitted to me about feeling sad that their kids weren't cuddly or close to them they way they see other kids and their parents.

The one thing I took away from my years of nannying that informed my mothering was that parenting is a 24/7 thing especially when tiny.

Her wording around when Gorka is and isn't home is weird and I suspect deliberate to mislead making it sound like she's doing it all herself. She posted a story just the other week about Gorka getting back in the early hours of a Sunday morning and having to wake her up so he does go home, yet she makes it sound like it's still lockdown and she doesn't see him the whole season. :unsure:

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Gemma needs her sleep so she has energy for her 5am workouts, that's her priority.

I think the dogs do sleep upstairs, she's mentioned carrying them up. I bet they sleep in her room.
That’s it summed right up. A baby needing attention/care is just an inconvenience to her. I’ve been a parent for 8 years now, my eldest still needs one of us to sit next to him every night when he goes to sleep, and if he wakes up during the night. I was sat next to him again at 3am this morning as he needed help getting back to sleep. It’s just what you do. They’re children, they need to feel secure and loved. I’d never deny my children this. I just can’t get my head around forcing your child to cope without this, and he’s literally only a baby! She can call it “tough love”, I call it child neglect.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
It’s clear she rules the roost in that house. Gorka being Spanish wouldn’t have had an upbringing like his children with strict bedtimes and 12hr sleeps. Spanish children are generally up later and there’s more flexibility in bedtimes. Gemma’s head would fall off!

Reactions: 7
It’s clear she rules the roost in that house. Gorka being Spanish wouldn’t have had an upbringing like his children with strict bedtimes and 12hr sleeps. Spanish children are generally up later and there’s more flexibility in bedtimes. Gemma’s head would fall off!
I wonder if that's why they spend so little time in Spain? The have the time and money to spend a decent amount of time there each year yet they don't seem to make it a priority.

Reactions: 5
I guess it will be even less now that they have two kids as more hassle etc. Gemma won't be wanting to share a hotel room with them. 😂

Reactions: 2
I know for a fact my parents did the "cry it out" stuff with me because I vividly remember being about 3 and sobbing and screaming for someone and nobody came. I don't remember anything as clearly from that age as that and I doubt it's one of those memories that is reinforced by people telling you about it because I don't think they'd ever actually talk about it or acknowledge that it made me feel sad.
Whilst I agree sleep is important and learning to sleep in their own beds is best ideally, trying that stuff with a 5 month old is bollocks. My 4 year old daughter has phases of waking up even now quite a bit and even when I know she is just playing up and nothing is actually "wrong", I'm there by her side not leaving her screaming the house down or locking her in her room.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
Not getting into the debate of 'you do you blah fuckin blah' im sorry but the thought of letting a child (any child) 'cry it out' , 'tough love' is a load of bollocks. I have been a single parent since day 1 and have lost sleep to make sure my LO is ok. It just doesn't sit right with me.

Reactions: 23
I’d associate “tough love” to a teenager who maybe needed lessons in managing their pocket money or wages…or learning how to use the washing basket in order to be included in getting stuffed washed in the household. Not a four year old or a 5 mth old baby. She’s a dixk.

Reactions: 24
I’d associate “tough love” to a teenager who maybe needed lessons in managing their pocket money or wages…or learning how to use the washing basket in order to be included in getting stuffed washed in the household. Not a four year old or a 5 mth old baby. She’s a dixk.
Exactly. Tough love can only be used on someone who understands actions and consequences. A 5 month old baby is not that person ☹☹

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.