GB News

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well, I haven't watched every GB News episode, but I've seen it happen enough to comment on it and even provided an example from recent days. Well, two, given I also talked about the example where two sitting Tory MPs interviewed Jeremy Hunt.

The BBC doesn't employ any MPs as presenters. But GB News has Conservative Party deputy chairman Lee Anderson, former Cabinet minister Sir Jacob Rees-Mogg, and Esther McVey and Philip Davies. It can't be described as impartial in any way.

If they rebranded as something like Tory Talk, I'd leave it alone. At least it would then have an accurate name.
---

Heh. He's contemptible.
GB news have never claimed their hosts are impartial. You're getting it confused with the BBC!
The Tory hosts regularly have on labour members, lib dem members, just stop oil, extinction rebellion and just about all other people they're politically opposed to.
You're rather fixated on the 10 mins ofcom said it wasn't balanced for out of it's years of service and ignoring the other 99.99% it was balanced.

Reactions: 7
GB news have never claimed their hosts are impartial. You're getting it confused with the BBC!
The Tory hosts regularly have on labour members, lib dem members, just stop oil, extinction rebellion and just about all other people they're politically opposed to.
You're rather fixated on the 10 mins ofcom said it wasn't balanced for out of it's years of service and ignoring the other 99.99% it was balanced.
Ofcom requires news to be impartial, though, and that includes GB News. A quote from an article on their website:

"We are also assessing the latter programme’s compliance with Rule 5.1 of the Broadcasting Code which requires that news, in whatever form, must be presented with due impartiality."

Source: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centr...-due-impartiality-investigations-into-gb-news

GB News has been found to be in breach of Ofcom's broadcasting rules three times so far and they're currently investigating six other counts, some of which are detailed in that article above. It'll be interesting to hear their findings.

Reactions: 3
Ofcom requires news to be impartial, though, and that includes GB News. A quote from an article on their website:

"We are also assessing the latter programme’s compliance with Rule 5.1 of the Broadcasting Code which requires that news, in whatever form, must be presented with due impartiality."

Source: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centr...-due-impartiality-investigations-into-gb-news

GB News has been found to be in breach of Ofcom's broadcasting rules three times so far and they're currently investigating six other counts, some of which are detailed in that article above. It'll be interesting to hear their findings.
Shouldn't that apply to the BBC too. Or are they exempt from OFCOM enquiry....

Reactions: 5
Shouldn't that apply to the BBC too. Or are they exempt from OFCOM enquiry....
No they aren't, I think they broke the rules last year. I think it was the first time they had been found guilty. I'm not really convinced by OfCom, nor any of the other regulators tbf ... OfWat don't seem to do much, our rivers seem to be full of shite. OfGem the enegy regulator seems pretty toothless, as does Ipso, the press regulator. I think that's partly why the 'Hacked-Off' group sprung-up, although I could be mistaken.

Reactions: 5

But your point was that the hosts weren't impartial. Of course the output is impartial, and 99.99% has been apart from those segments.
---
No they aren't, I think they broke the rules last year. I think it was the first time they had been found guilty. I'm not really convinced by OfCom, nor any of the other regulators tbf ... OfWat don't seem to do much, our rivers seem to be full of shite. OfGem the enegy regulator seems pretty toothless, as does Ipso, the press regulator. I think that's partly why the 'Hacked-Off' group sprung-up, although I could be mistaken.
Ofcom didn't investigate when on Morgan's talk TV show people were saying they wouldn't shag that - Sam Smith.
But now are investigating GB news for the exact same!! They've faced cancel culture and an unprecedented campaign to be shut down before they even started broadcasting. Ofcom doesn't seem up to the job. BBC gets away also with not being investigated for one sided panels.

But your point was that the hosts weren't impartial. Of course the output is impartial, and 99.99% has been apart from those segments.
But the news is delivered by hosts?! Can't work out if you're being deliberately obtuse or not.

Reactions: 1
---

Ofcom didn't investigate when on Morgan's talk TV show people were saying they wouldn't shag that - Sam Smith.
But now are investigating GB news for the exact same!! They've faced cancel culture and an unprecedented campaign to be shut down before they even started broadcasting. Ofcom doesn't seem up to the job. BBC gets away also with not being investigated for one sided panels.
The output is (mostly) not impartial. It’s deliberately opinionated. Whether you agree with their opinions is another debate entirely… but GB News is generally not impartial.

The BBC very rarely has one sided panels. If you notice, a lot of people they have on to represent the right come from… GB News!
---
But the news is delivered by hosts?! Can't work out if you're being deliberately obtuse or not.
They have 5 minute news bulletins every half hour presented by different people to the main programme hosts. I think that’s how they say “our news is impartial” - it is, but the discussions most certainly aren’t.

The news is delivered by the news readers not hosts of shows! And you have the cheek to say I'm being obtuse. Just wow.
We get it, you decided without ever actually watching GB news and before it started you hate it and facts don't actually matter.
---
The BBC very rarely has one sided panels.
And that's exactly the same for GB news! They very rarely don't have a leftie to argue that side.

• Sick
The news is delivered by the news readers not hosts of shows! And you have the cheek to say I'm being obtuse. Just wow.
We get it, you decided without ever actually watching GB news and before it started you hate it and facts don't actually matter.
---

And that's exactly the same for GB news! They very rarely don't have a leftie to argue that side.
That's massively disingenuous! You can't call yourself a news channel and then reduce the "news" aspect to a little bulletin every half hour (thanks for clarifying @EdwardTattsyrup ). Most people would assume "hosts" of shows on a channel with news in its name would also be delivering news.

But to play you at your own game: we get it, you love GB News and can't acknowledge it has any weaknesses. I also notice you've only posted in this thread, hence don't seem to have any interest in the site other than being pro GB News, which is interesting.

That's massively disingenuous! You can't call yourself a news channel and then reduce the "news" aspect to a little bulletin every half hour
It's said from the start it's an opinion oriented channel with news bulletins. If the name offends you so much I'm sure you've heard of ofcom and can complain.

It's said from the start it's an opinion oriented channel with news bulletins. If the name offends you so much I'm sure you've heard of ofcom and can complain.
It doesn't offend me, it's just inaccurate. Ofcom have got their hands full investigating 6 other claims against GB News, so I'll leave them to it. ;)

But to play you at your own game: we get it, you love GB News and can't acknowledge it has any weaknesses. I also notice you've only posted in this thread, hence don't seem to have any interest in the site other than being pro GB News, which is interesting.
Yes I have an opinion on something I've actually bothered to watch. You on the other hand have a strong opinion on something you've only ever seen some cherry picked clips of.

"can't acknowledge it has any weaknesses"
Very mature inventing words to put in my mouth. I wouldn't stoop to that.

Yes I have an opinion on something I've actually bothered to watch. You on the other hand have a strong opinion on something you've only ever seen some cherry picked clips of.

"can't acknowledge it has any weaknesses"
Very mature inventing words to put in my mouth. I wouldn't stoop to that.
I've seen enough clips and heard enough about Ofcom action to form an opinion on it. In fact it's hard to escape it when a 'host' makes grossly misogynistic comments live on air.

---

But it's usually one leftie against two or three right wingers (including the presenter)! That's not really fair, is it? They're just there for Dan Wootton (PBUH) to shout at!
---
I've been on other forums where there are posters defending GB News whenever the subject comes up. Now I'm not saying they employ people to praise the channel (astroturfing) but it is interesting, isn't it?

Reactions: 2
The BBC very rarely has one sided panels. If you notice, a lot of people they have on to represent the right come from… GB News!
The BBC is also flawed though because in order to project impartiality they will give equal time to unequally qualified people. James O'Brien on LBC always cites the example of when he presented newsnight and had to give equal time to Andrea Leadsom and The former head of the WTO Pascal Lamy. I think that's why he walked out in the end, or kicked-up such a fuss they binned him.

Imageggg1.jpg

• Heart
But it's usually one leftie against two or three right wingers (including the presenter)! That's not really fair, is it? They're just there for Dan Wootton (PBUH) to shout at!
The exact same could be said for the BBC who will only have one rightie and two or three lefties against them.

Reactions: 2
The BBC is also flawed though because in order to project impartiality they will give equal time to unequally qualified people. James O'Brien on LBC always cites the example of when he presented newsnight and had to give equal time to Andrea Leadsom and The former head of the WTO Pascal Lamy. I think that's why he walked out in the end, or kicked-up such a fuss they binned him.
Oh, 100%. I think they go too far in the pursuit of balance. As you say it leads to a false equivalence.
---
The exact same could be said for the BBC who will only have one rightie and two or three lefties against them.
But they don't! Not often, anyway. Maybe occasionally when they can't book enough righties, but it certainly doesn't happen anywhere near as much as you make out.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.