Gastric band/sleeve/bypass

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone had either of the above procedures? Any advice? Horror/success stories? I’m particularly interested from an NHS point of
View. Thanks :)

Reactions: 2
I know of three people who've had weight loss surgery but I couldn't tell you exactly what they've had, sorry.

1) was about 170kg, early 30s and had a lot of health issues - had hers about five years ago and has kept the weight off and has just a couple of health issues now, but they're under control. I don't know what her weight is, but at a guess I'd say she's about a size 12. She didn't have any saggy skin! Went through NZ's public health system, which paid for everything. Attends support group meetings to keep her on track and is very disciplined.

2) was about 100kg, late teens, and quite short, so looked heavier than she was - had hers about 10 years ago and put it all, plus some more, back on again. Went through NZ's public health system, which paid for everything. Has been told she won't get another chance through NZ's public health system, although they did try to give her dietary advice. Never attended support group meetings or listened to any of the advice - was hoping for a quick fix which hasn't happened. (Although she couldn't eat the same amount of food at first [compared to the size of portions she'd previously eaten], her stomach soon grew so she could).

3) was about 120kg, early 30s and kept getting turned down by NZ's public health system (despite trying a couple of different regions). Ended up going private two years ago, which cost about $40k all up, including for the later removal of saggy skin and a bit of liposuction to the legs. Looks amazing now, but still has a lot of scarring and doesn't have the same body strength she once did. Doesn't have access to support groups but joined an online forum which she finds helpful in keeping her on track.

Reactions: 4
I had a bypass in 2018, privately through the Bariatric Group. I weighed 21 stone at 5 foot 8 so had a bmi of 45. I lost 9 stone and have maintained a 8-8.5 stone loss for the last 2 years (does fluctuate a bit and I also got to a very low weight due to a traumatic time so was happy to regain a little!) Best thing I ever did. I did have a breast lift in 2021 as I’d always had large breasts and they were saggy after the weight loss. Op was £10.5k and boobs were £6k.
A Friend had a sleeve with the Tonic group in Birmingham and is very happy. Personally, I wanted the bypass as I did suffer from reflux and a sleeve can make it worse (I follow people who have had a revision to the bypass as it was so bad) and also because long term, the bypass results are slightly better.

Check out Makeupbyyj I think her name is on Instagram, she’s had it done and looks 👌 She posts quite a bit about her experience

Reactions: 1
My FIL had a bypass and he’s having a horrific time of it. He’s a 6ft 2 man and now weighs about 8 stone as he can’t absorb any nutrients so they’re trying to get him strong enough to reverse it (if they can) :(

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
I have heard so many horror stories in that people suffer from hair loss, malnutrition, severe digestive issues ( unexpected diarrhea, projectile vomiting), bone density loss etc

Apparently these issues are bc the gut is a key part of the body in absorbing nutrients, and the surgery causes health problems for life.

( Source - reading around the interwebs, watching interviews on YouTube, people talk ab their experiences on social media)

In my opinion i think it's an awful awful surgery to get akin to stomach mutilation really - particularly in the pursuit of thinness. However I do understand there are people who severely struggle with their weight/ emotional eating etc. & If this surgery helps them ease that - then people should definitely do what's right for them.

I think it's wrong that the sleeve/ bypass is offered to slightly overweight people, before lifestyle changes are implemented. I think these surgeries should only be offered to people who are severely struggling with their day to day life being limited by their weight i.e tlc 600Ib life.

So many young thicker girls ( couldn't be more then a size 12-16) are getting the sleeve, I think that's horrifying.
Nutrition goes a long way, as does knowing how to prepare healthy, energy sustaining meals alongside living an active life. Education is really the tool that changes people's lives not risky surgery that changes your bodily functions / health - generally for the worse forever.

Reactions: 8
I had a gastric sleeve 15 months ago and I don’t regret it one bit. For various emotional reasons, I put a lot of weight on just in the last 10 years and could not shift the weight. I have lost over 7 stone and now a size 10. I had always been slim and cooked food from scratch but was binge eating because of bereavement and other mental health issues around circumstances outside my control. Add menopause to the mix, and it was a perfect storm.

I went to Turkey alone and had it done. The only time I felt afraid was when I came round from the anaesthetic but I think that’s just the ‘coming round’ bit. It was tough being there on my own, but I made friends with other ladies there and I don’t mind my own company. The only pain I had was horrific headaches and I think that was caffeine withdrawal! Most of the women I was there with on my hospital floor have success stories and no issues. One or two had some complications that are all sorted now.

I did it for the sake of my (future) physical and mental health. I just couldn’t lose the weight and I wanted to get a grip on it before I started to get serious health conditions.

Despite some people’s misconceptions, I can now eat ‘normal’ meals now but I have gone off large cuts of meat like steak. And I genuinely prefer seafood, fish and Turkey / chicken. I eat 3 protein rich and low fat meals and day and a couple of snacks. You need to make sure you stay hydrated and prioritise liquids as you cannot eat and drink at the same time. The first 6 months are tough because, at first, you can only have liquids then mushy foods and gradually reintroduce ‘normal‘ foods. I now eat similar sized portions to what I ate when I was younger. I take a multivitamin supplement daily. I had some hair loss after 3 months and lasted around 3 - 6 months. No bald patches though, just thinner, and it’s all grown back now. It’s to do with hormonal changes due to fat cells being shed.

If you want to cheat, you can easily eat ‘slider’ foods, but you tend not to as you have seen the results of doing it properly.

In short, my experience is only positive. I feel more like my old self and have a huge amount of energy now. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I had a gastric sleeve 15 months ago and I don’t regret it one bit. For various emotional reasons, I put a lot of weight on just in the last 10 years and could not shift the weight. I have lost over 7 stone and now a size 10. I had always been slim and cooked food from scratch but was binge eating because of bereavement and other mental health issues around circumstances outside my control. Add menopause to the mix, and it was a perfect storm.

I went to Turkey alone and had it done. The only time I felt afraid was when I came round from the anaesthetic but I think that’s just the ‘coming round’ bit. It was tough being there on my own, but I made friends with other ladies there and I don’t mind my own company. The only pain I had was horrific headaches and I think that was caffeine withdrawal! Most of the women I was there with on my hospital floor have success stories and no issues. One or two had some complications that are all sorted now.

I did it for the sake of my (future) physical and mental health. I just couldn’t lose the weight and I wanted to get a grip on it before I started to get serious health conditions.

Despite some people’s misconceptions, I can now eat ‘normal’ meals now but I have gone off large cuts of meat like steak. And I genuinely prefer seafood, fish and Turkey / chicken. I eat 3 protein rich and low fat meals and day and a couple of snacks. You need to make sure you stay hydrated and prioritise liquids as you cannot eat and drink at the same time. The first 6 months are tough because, at first, you can only have liquids then mushy foods and gradually reintroduce ‘normal‘ foods. I now eat similar sized portions to what I ate when I was younger. I take a multivitamin supplement daily. I had some hair loss after 3 months and lasted around 3 - 6 months. No bald patches though, just thinner, and it’s all grown back now. It’s to do with hormonal changes due to fat cells being shed.

If you want to cheat, you can easily eat ‘slider’ foods, but you tend not to as you have seen the results of doing it properly.

In short, my experience is only positive. I feel more like my old self and have a huge amount of energy now. My only regret is not doing it sooner.
Amazing response, thank you so much x

I’ve also had a gastric sleeve 15 months ago in the UK. My BMI was 40. There wasn’t a night that would go by where I wouldn’t lie in bed panicking about my weight. Surgery is anyones last resort as you can hardly eat anything or enjoy food for 6 months. I’ve lost 7 stone. I also had some hair loss but it’s all coming back now nice and thick. It was the best thing I’ve ever done for myself, I’m pregnant now so panicking about loose skin and weight gain but I suppose nothing I can do about that! Good luck In whatever you decide to do. Just prepare yourself for negative comments from people with no first hand experience of it. You know what’s right for you. I personally only told my husband and sister for first 3 months after it.

I’m going to Turkey in a few weeks for a sleeve and I can not wait! I’ll finally drop the weight once and for all and no more yoyo dieting. I have a BMI of 41 so have about 6.5/7 stone to lose

Anyone had either of the above procedures? Any advice? Horror/success stories? I’m particularly interested from an NHS point of
View. Thanks :)
I see this is a thread that was started last year…. Have you had WLS yet?

Reactions: 3
I’m going to Turkey in a few weeks for a sleeve and I can not wait! I’ll finally drop the weight once and for all and no more yoyo dieting. I have a BMI of 41 so have about 6.5/7 stone to lose

Who’s your surgeon and where? I had Dr Mehmet Deniz in Izmir. He’s very good. Let me know if you have any questions.

Oh how exciting!! Just prepare yourself the first 2 months are mentally very tough and the grief of not binge eating I found tough but you will fly it!! It’s the best thing I’ve ever done for myself

Who’s your surgeon and where? I had Dr Mehmet Deniz in Izmir. He’s very good. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you! I’m going to Gozde. I’m not choosing a surgeon. I’m happy to get what I’m given.
Oh how exciting!! Just prepare yourself the first 2 months are mentally very tough and the grief of not binge eating I found tough but you will fly it!! It’s the best thing I’ve ever done for myself
I can’t wait to actually feel full 😂

No, NHS So the waiting list is long and lots of hoops to jump through

• Heart
Wondering if anyone here has had/thought of having the Gastric Balloon as an alternative to band/sleeve/bypass? I'm looking at the Allurion balloon in particular..

Wondering if anyone here has had/thought of having the Gastric Balloon as an alternative to band/sleeve/bypass? I'm looking at the Allurion balloon in particular..
I’m wondering this too and just came to make a similar post! I’m not eligible for gastric sleeve but my BMI is 29 and I’ve really struggled the last 2 years to lose weight. I’m not sure if it’s worth the money though and whether it’s then sustainable after the balloon.

I looked into the balloon but couldn’t see many positive stories about it. when I went for my sleeve, one of the women had already had a balloon and it I didn’t work.

I’m wondering this too and just came to make a similar post! I’m not eligible for gastric sleeve but my BMI is 29 and I’ve really struggled the last 2 years to lose weight. I’m not sure if it’s worth the money though and whether it’s then sustainable after the balloon.
If you can bump your BMI to 30 then you’re eligible for a sleeve in Turkey