Gas and Elec increase.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t have a smart meter so I’ve been going outside everyday just to see how much I’m using. I’ve used about 40kwh in the last 4 days. I’m electric only. Still equates to about £3.50 a day and I’m barely using electricity. Haven’t turned the heating on or cooked one meal. I’m freezing and hungry. That’s 2022 life now.
Mad how diff companies charge diff rates
I’m averaging £1.40 a day since 1st April on my leccy

My smart metre hasn’t been too bad the past couple of days but my credit still seems to drain away. I’ve averaged about 90p gas each day including the standing charge but it doesn’t seem to last more than 2/3 days when I top it up with £5. I don’t want to add a higher amount incase it drains as quickly.

Reactions: 1
We’re away atm and just checked our smart metre app and we used 63p yesterday, so I’m guessing that’s just for the fridge…

Would anyone recommend or discourage a smart meter? Octopus keep messaging me about it but I'm not sure what to do.

Would anyone recommend or discourage a smart meter? Octopus keep messaging me about it but I'm not sure what to do.
I've never had an issue with the smart metre. It's always been fairy accurate. I always submit metre readings every 5 or 6 months just incase and it's usually accurate

Reactions: 2
Not on this thread, but I'm seeing a lot of people confusing prepayment metres with smart metres.
We've got a smart metre and I'm getting a bit obsessed with watching it go up and go. It definitely makes you think about what you're using.

Reactions: 3
Not on this thread, but I'm seeing a lot of people confusing prepayment metres with smart metres.
We've got a smart metre and I'm getting a bit obsessed with watching it go up and go. It definitely makes you think about what you're using.
That's the main thing I'm worried about. Just sitting and watching it! But then knowing what I'm spending can't be a huge problem? Just got to make sure if we do get one, I'm not obsessively watching it.

Although I did go round yesterday turning all the plugs off before bed.

That's the main thing I'm worried about. Just sitting and watching it! But then knowing what I'm spending can't be a huge problem? Just got to make sure if we do get one, I'm not obsessively watching it.

Although I did go round yesterday turning all the plugs off before bed.
I'm seriously obsessed. I'm making notes of which washer cycle is cheapest and stuff. I'm driving myself mad tbh. I'll be glad to be back at work and oblivious 🙄😅

I was constantly watching when they put it in in January. Once I realised I had to charge it 3x a day, I turned it off and stuck it in the drawer 😂
I’m with EDF and on the app, they breakdown my usage, which is really good!

Attachments

Reactions: 3
You can be on pre payment and have a smart metre. It’s the easiest way to top them up.

Isn't the smart metre the thing in the cupboard with the readings?
That thing you plug in is just a part of it? 😂
We don't use the plug in thing as it stopped working.. But our readings get sent directly to octopus energy because we have a smart metre.
So if you're worried about obsessing over the amounts it shows, you can just turn that off

Isn't the smart metre the thing in the cupboard with the readings?
That thing you plug in is just a part of it? 😂
We don't use the plug in thing as it stopped working.. But our readings get sent directly to octopus energy because we have a smart metre.
So if you're worried about obsessing over the amounts it shows, you can just turn that off
Yer. Mine was plugged in on the side in the kitchen. Knocked me sick when I saw how much the microwave used 🤢

Fixed rate was quoted as £500 but standard variable rate is £250 😳 crazy!

• Wow
Just had an email from Scottish Power, saying our direct debit is going up by £233 a month, to £469 a month. Don't know whether to laugh or cry. How is this even sustainable?

• Sad
Reactions: 4
It’s utterly sickening and it’s due to go up again in October. The government doesn’t give a duck. 2022 and I can’t believe we are all hoping for an early Summer so we can be warm and easily dry clothes.

Reactions: 5
Boris talking about new energy promises but that’s a long term plan. What about now?