Gas and Elec increase.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Autumn is my favourite time of year but now I'm dreading it 😔 I'm not a summer person at all but will be making the most of it this year and see it as my chance to really cut back on energy (although not sure it will be much as we end up with 2-3 fans running)

Reactions: 2
They just expect us too.
I’ve just been to my local beauty salon and they’ve said they have already seen the knock on effect of people cutting back.
That’s not good enough. Millions will be crippled by it as well as businesses. As if the pandemic wasn’t enough stress. We have this tit to deal with. 😤

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Does anyone know how reliable smart meters are?

I'm curious we currently have a home that isn't on a smart meter and it's costing £238 ISH a month (I will say this is on estimate and we aren't actually living there at the moment as it's being renovated so I expect the actual cost when I've submitted readings should be less!) It's a 3 bed semi detached house

Now while that is being renovated we are staying in a 4 bed detached that has a smart reader and it's averaging aroun £2.80ish a day so for 30 odd days it will work out at £84 ??! This is for gas AND electric which I have queried!

I just can't see how it is cheaper to be in a 4 bed detached than a 3 bed semi?! Are there any hidden charges with the smart meter or is it just an estimate?

Does anyone know how reliable smart meters are?

I'm curious we currently have a home that isn't on a smart meter and it's costing £238 ISH a month (I will say this is on estimate and we aren't actually living there at the moment as it's being renovated so I expect the actual cost when I've submitted readings should be less!) It's a 3 bed semi detached house

Now while that is being renovated we are staying in a 4 bed detached that has a smart reader and it's averaging aroun £2.80ish a day so for 30 odd days it will work out at £84 ??! This is for gas AND electric which I have queried!

I just can't see how it is cheaper to be in a 4 bed detached than a 3 bed semi?! Are there any hidden charges with the smart meter or is it just an estimate?
No hidden charges. We have a smart metre and it just sends them readings 🤷🏻‍♀️
It's pretty accurate too. I still submit them every 4-6 months just to make sure and it's always accurate.
The house may have a lower efficiency rating?
My 3 bed terrace house is £93 a month (before the increase)

I would say as that's an estimate, it's usually pretty off anyway and sometimes based on the previous people living there

No hidden charges. We have a smart metre and it just sends them readings 🤷🏻‍♀️
It's pretty accurate too. I still submit them every 4-6 months just to make sure and it's always accurate.
The house may have a lower efficiency rating?
My 3 bed terrace house is £93 a month (before the increase)

I would say as that's an estimate, it's usually pretty off anyway and sometimes based on the previous people living there
Thank you - I'm going to monitor the situation as we won't be moving home for another couple of months but I may switch supplier and get a smart meter (something I NEVER thought I'd say!)

Mine was £116 a month with octopus energy they then wanted £300 a month off me, I managed to swap to OVO & paying £229 but even that’s expensive, I’m out in the day so is my son so rarely use any gas or electric, I come in from work have a sandwich & sit in bed because I daren’t put the heating on especially as I’m in on my own!

Reactions: 1
Mine was £116 a month with octopus energy they then wanted £300 a month off me, I managed to swap to OVO & paying £229 but even that’s expensive, I’m out in the day so is my son so rarely use any gas or electric, I come in from work have a sandwich & sit in bed because I daren’t put the heating on especially as I’m in on my own!
How did you manage to switch? I tried and got told nobody is taking on anyone new

I thought my monthly payments were going up but the same amount has come out so I've ended up in debit . On my monthly usage statement , price wise, month has cost about the same as January despite using less energy.

I thought my monthly payments were going up but the same amount has come out so I've ended up in debit . On my monthly usage statement , price wise, month has cost about the same as January despite using less energy.
Is it because the price rise is April so it would be May payment that goes up?

Is it because the price rise is April so it would be May payment that goes up?
I'm sure they said the monthly payments would increase during April. On the statement some is charged at the old rate and some at the new .

Uploaded our electric metre reading last week and was shocked by the price of it 😨 waiting for the next email now to say they will be increasing our direct debit

My bills are relatively cheap as I live alone in a 2 bed flat but I thought I would upload this comparison of my electric bill to demonstrate the increase

19th Jan - 18th Feb
81.89 kWh used
Charge - £21.71

19th March - 18th April
77.29 kwh used
Charge - £33.10

this is electric only. I live alone in a 2 bed flat. I am with octopus energy. I went onto a new tariff mid March due to my current tariff ending.

Reactions: 2