Gas and Elec increase.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s utterly sickening and it’s due to go up again in October. The government doesn’t give a duck. 2022 and I can’t believe we are all hoping for an early Summer so we can be warm and easily dry clothes.
I have washing on the line from February until October/November as long as it's dry. I hate tumble driers and haven't owned one since I bought my house five years ago. But then again I probably only boil my kettle 5 times a year too 😂

Reactions: 1
What do people think about the switch off at 10pm tonight? I'll probably be asleep by then

I think perhaps I am missing something, but I don't really understand how a fairly small number of people (realistically), not using power at an off-peak time is going to have any significant impact?

Reactions: 6
If everyone could clap at 8pm they could turn their power off for 10 min and show a drastic drop.

Reactions: 2
I think perhaps I am missing something, but I don't really understand how a fairly small number of people (realistically), not using power at an off-peak time is going to have any significant impact?
Yeah I don't think enough people will do it (I will be asleep by then!). Surely they should do this during peak energy usage times, like Saturday night TV or Sunday lunch cooking time? I do remember seeing something years ago about the power surge when eeeeeeveryone watching Corrie makes tea during the ad break... but things aren't the same anymore. There's no way 15 million people will turn everything off at 10pm. It's a nice idea but I doubt it'll make any difference.

Reactions: 5
Yeah, I'm not convinced it will do anything either. It's like when they told people to avoid filling their cars on a Thursday or whatever it was

I honestly don't think it'll make a difference even if it was done at peak time.
It worked in Spain apparently, but they didn't have Boris & Sunak running a tit show.
I honestly don't think they care enough to do anything about it.
Riots will be on the cards soon.

With Octopus Energy. £68 a month going up to £208. We are always in credit. This does not seem right to me. 😭
how many rooms and how many people, may I ask? And for gas and electric?
i am with octopus and my direct debit went from £68 to £48 a month (for gas and electric)
I live alone in a 2 bed flat

With Octopus Energy. £68 a month going up to £208. We are always in credit. This does not seem right to me. 😭
As others have suggested you may be able to negotiate the price down particularly if you have a long standing (at least 12m+) relationship with them as your supplier.

If you’ve been in your home for a year or more you can see what your average costs are per month for usage and then work out what your predicted costs would be based on the new info about costs per unit.

Unit price has gone up hence the requests for increased monthly payments but some suppliers seem to be increasing at OTT amounts which will just mean customers accrue growing credit balances.

No doubt if you moved you’d be expected to wait for weeks for a refund too. Different company but Virgin sent me a refund for overpayment of cable/broadband bill 8 weeks after I’d moved and by cheque! Do they accept cheques for monthly payment? I think not.

i am with octopus and my direct debit went from £68 to £48 a month (for gas and electric)
2 bedrooms and an attic area. It’s a small terraced house and there’s 2 of us.

Are you the only person in the UK who's bill has gone down?! 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 4
As others have suggested you may be able to negotiate the price down particularly if you have a long standing (at least 12m+) relationship with them as your supplier.

If you’ve been in your home for a year or more you can see what your average costs are per month for usage and then work out what your predicted costs would be based on the new info about costs per unit.

Unit price has gone up hence the requests for increased monthly payments but some suppliers seem to be increasing at OTT amounts which will just mean customers accrue growing credit balances.

No doubt if you moved you’d be expected to wait for weeks for a refund too. Different company but Virgin sent me a refund for overpayment of cable/broadband bill 8 weeks after I’d moved and by cheque! Do they accept cheques for monthly payment? I think not.
I’ve been with them for a year and they had sent me an email a month ago to say if I do nothing I’d move onto their flexible Octopus which has no fixed term and would be around £88 estimated cost but prices have gone up since the email was sent. The £208 quote was a Fixed rate tariff and direct debit.

Not a chance would I be paying direct debit. Send them meter readings for a bill.
Yeah I might do this instead. 🫤

Last edited:
I spoke to Octopus again and was told variable at the moment is better than fixed. Instead of paying £208 on a fixed, I can do variable for around £100.

I spoke to Octopus again and was told variable at the moment is better than fixed. Instead of paying £208 on a fixed, I can do variable for around £100.
I'm with Octopus and was paying £93
And then got told fixed would be £268 or variable for £246!
We're always in credit too