Garrihy Sisters #4 The poet, the pyjama queen and the passive aggressive Princess

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She has really shown her privilege over these past few weeks and unashamedly too! There were people literally alone at Xmas because of covid, stuck at home in their apartment with no mammy to drop up a full dinner at the drop of a hat to their lovely little cottage.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
It’s disgusting that she mentioned CF like that…if she was a family friend or whatever I’m sure as duck you wouldn’t pass remarks about her like that on your social media platform. Even privileged dzoireann is guilty of tone deaf comments but she’s in her late 20s now and cant get away with it as easily

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Yiz all have it wrong me thinks. Forget about the privilege, that is just labelling people. They seem like a hard working family.
G1and G3 are talented and successful. Good luck to them. G3 will go very far in TV. G1 can be Gwynethesque.
G2 is a cheeky hanger on. Buts it’s the fools of Brands who throw her every freebie and invite going. Classic case of keeping the maiden name.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Yiz all have it wrong me thinks. Forget about the privilege, that is just labelling people. They seem like a hard working family.
G1and G3 are talented and successful. Good luck to them. G3 will go very far in TV. G1 can be Gwynethesque.
G2 is a cheeky hanger on. Buts it’s the fools of Brands who throw her every freebie and invite going. Classic case of keeping the maiden name.
Keeping the maiden name?? Or some may call it not carrying on a silly tradition 🤣 I always laugh when I see a woman change their name on their social media profiles the day after they get married 🙄🤣

Reactions: 8
Keeping the maiden name?? Or some may call it not carrying on a silly tradition 🤣 I always laugh when I see a woman change their name on their social media profiles the day after they get married 🙄🤣
To be fair that everyone’s individual choice. Each to their own. I kept my maiden name for my professional job name and use my married name otherwise as I like having the same surname as my child.

Reactions: 10
To be fair that everyone’s individual choice. Each to their own. I kept my maiden name for my professional job name and use my married name otherwise as I like having the same surname as my child.
Yep of course it is but it's a silly tradition all the same 🤷‍♀️

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Why do you think that? Genuinely interested in the answer as I’m very traditional and changed my name on marriage but my sister is the polar opposite.
It's an old tradition. Why doesn't the man take the woman's name? It stems from a time when it solidified a man's ownership over his wife. My child has a double barrell name 😊 I'm sure that would annoy some people but it works for us.

• Sick
Reactions: 6
It's an old tradition. Why doesn't the man take the woman's name? It stems from a time when it solidified a man's ownership over his wife. My child has a double barrell name 😊 I'm sure that would annoy some people but it works for us.
I would opt for a double barrel name for myself and have my (future) kids take my partners surname. But I don’t get the hate on double barrel names!

Reactions: 1
I would opt for a double barrel name for myself and have my (future) kids take my partners surname. But I don’t get the hate on double barrel names!
I agree taking the mans name is of course an old tradition. But without the majority following the same tradition regarding surnames where would any order at all come from. Everyone have double barrel names and then they have offspring and how many surnames does the offspring then have? I don’t think everything has to be about feminism. I’m a modern woman not under the ownership of my husband coz i have his name but I’m happy to take his name for continuity and I suppose tradition too in a way. Sadly there exists a lot of people that will never chose to leave a daughter to inherit a house or farm or any property really simply because the surname dies out. That is archaic if you ask me. But I respect everyone’s own take on this. I’m happy with my own choices and as I said above I retain my maiden name for my professional name coz the married version of me did not exist at that time or earn that degree!

Reactions: 5
I agree taking the mans name is of course an old tradition. But without the majority following the same tradition regarding surnames where would any order at all come from. Everyone have double barrel names and then they have offspring and how many surnames does the offspring then have? I don’t think everything has to be about feminism. I’m a modern woman not under the ownership of my husband coz i have his name but I’m happy to take his name for continuity and I suppose tradition too in a way. Sadly there exists a lot of people that will never chose to leave a daughter to inherit a house or farm or any property really simply because the surname dies out. That is archaic if you ask me. But I respect everyone’s own take on this. I’m happy with my own choices and as I said above I retain my maiden name for my professional name coz the married version of me did not exist at that time or earn that degree!
I can see your point re continuity but only I would take the double barrel name and my kids would take their fathers so that would not be an issue. I would just prefer my name the way it is with the addition of my partners. I like the thought of always being identifiable if someone just saw my name written down somewhere.

I can see your point re continuity but only I would take the double barrel name and my kids would take their fathers so that would not be an issue. I would just prefer my name the way it is with the addition of my partners. I like the thought of always being identifiable if someone just saw my name written down somewhere.
But why would you have your kids take their fathers name and not yours? Does your husband have ownership over your children?

I’m not being serious here obviously, just pointing out the fallacy in your argument. It’s a personal choice at the end of the day, nothing to do with feminism or being owned by anyone. Each to their own.

Reactions: 3
But why would you have your kids take their fathers name and not yours? Does your husband have ownership over your children?

I’m not being serious here obviously, just pointing out the fallacy in your argument. It’s a personal choice at the end of the day, nothing to do with feminism or being owned by anyone. Each to their own.
I didn’t make the point about feminism or ownership. I don’t see it like that at all so that would not even come into my thought process when making a decision like that. Same way I don’t feel like my father owns me because I was given his surname! I wasn’t born with my partners surname but we have made the choice to name our children with his surname from birth and that’s it really.

Reactions: 2

Well I guess because it is not the done thing in our society for children to routinely take their mothers surname and I know I can be called backward and many things for making that point but that’s a fact. Everyone has opposing views here but most seem happy to still give offspring the fathers surname irrespective of what they do with their own surname.

Well I guess because it is not the done thing in our society for children to routinely take their mothers surname and I know I can be called backward and many things for making that point but that’s a fact. Everyone has opposing views here but most seem happy to still give offspring the fathers surname irrespective of what they do with their own surname.
Yes I agree that is a fact. I’m happy enough to carry on the tradition as it’s not a one that offends me or that I have any major problem with.
On the other hand, there are practical, professional and familial reasons for wanting to keep my own name with the addition of my partners!

We have to draw the line somewhere. So for example if my mother and father decided to things fairly and then my husband and I decided to do things fairly my daughter would be Molly Jones Murphy O' Sullivan. My daughters daughter would then be Roisin Jones Murphy O Sullivan Fitzpatrick. (names made up😂)
You made the point far better than my attempt. Thank you. This is what I meant!

Reactions: 4
Interesting takes on the general point. Specifically though in this case if G2 had a different surname she would not have any sort of public persona. She trades on having the same surname as G1 and G3

Interesting takes on the general point. Specifically though in this case if G2 had a different surname she would not have any sort of public persona. She trades on having the same surname as G1 and G3
Oh I agree with you 100% there. It’s so ridiculous her getting freebies and living the influencer lifestyle!! I mean at least the other 2 have did something to semi earn that life.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.