Gallstones

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi everyone,
How’s everybody healed up now?
I’m two weeks post-op and for the most part back to normal. Did anybody get a lot of swelling upper right of your belly button? Mine is protruding out and it’s fairly noticeable. Going to arrange for my incisions to be checked as one of them has the knot of a stitch inside of the incision so will ask them to check the swelling but just wondering if anybody else had this problem?
I would def get it checked for a hernia, but it could just be swelling or a stitch.

I had a very small bump inside my bellybutton incision which was a stitch and whenever I felt it it totally made me feel a bit sicky and it has only just dissolved (3 months post op.)

I do occasionally get pain just up to the right of my belly button though, not even where an incision is (where most of my numbness was) if I eat a lot in one sitting so maybe that a common place where they do part of the procedure that takes longer to heal?

hopefully it’s nothing to worry about 😊

For those who have had their gallbladder removed and who have little ones, how long was it until you were able to pick them up again? And how did they react to not being able to be picked up when they want a cuddle?
I'm having mine out soon and I have a 1yr old who is in a clingy cuddly stage at the moment and who I also still breast feed. My biggest concern is not being able to do this (more so the picking up) and little one is not going to understand why mummy isn't giving cuddles, resulting in us both getting stressed 😣

Hey. I had mine out when my little one was 7 months old so I appreciate that is a bit of a difference. I was lucky to have it out on a Friday so my partner was there over the weekend to help out. He just passed me little one when they wanted a cuddle and he also gave them a bottle for the first couple of days. I was breastfeeding and picking them up again on the Monday as my partner was back at work. Have you got someone that can help out the first couple of days?

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I had mine out in September when my little boy was 10 months old. Same as PP, I had someone to pass him to me for the first few days. After that I could pick him from a height, so from highchair or bed but not from floor level. I struggled with bending for probably 10 days or so. He did get a bit frustrated with me when I couldn't pick him up on demand and I had a few kicks to the guts from his wriggling!
Hope it goes well for you ☺

• Heart
My daughter is having her gall bladder removed in a few weeks. She lives by herself but is generally a tough cookie and has had surgery before; any general advice for her? Things I can get in for her in a shop etc?

Ice cream as she will have a sore throat from the tube, and because why not?!!

Soft stretch leggings and a baggy top.

Protein healthy foods such as eggs, greek yogurts. Stuff she can easily cook without having to lift a huge pan of water in the first few days.

And a pair of kitchen/BBQ tongs, so If she's on the sofa and the incisions are are a bit sore when she's bending over, she can grab her, phone and remote etc.

Maybe bring a spare duvet and pillow downstairs to sleep upright, again if the incisions are a bit sore.

Hope she has a swift recovery. The recovery is a walk in the park compared to a gallstones attack. X

My daughter is having her gall bladder removed in a few weeks. She lives by herself but is generally a tough cookie and has had surgery before; any general advice for her? Things I can get in for her in a shop etc?
I was in a lot of pain/uncomfortable for I think now 3-4 days, probably started mostly in bed for two days. Duvet and pillow on the couch and stack up her fridge with easy bits to cook for herself and of course some goodies for a little munch. Remind her to take the pain as directed, don’t be a hero.

Ice cream as she will have a sore throat from the tube, and because why not?!!

Soft stretch leggings and a baggy top.

Protein healthy foods such as eggs, greek yogurts. Stuff she can easily cook without having to lift a huge pan of water in the first few days.

And a pair of kitchen/BBQ tongs, so If she's on the sofa and the incisions are are a bit sore when she's bending over, she can grab her, phone and remote etc.

Maybe bring a spare duvet and pillow downstairs to sleep upright, again if the incisions are a bit sore.

Hope she has a swift recovery. The recovery is a walk in the park compared to a gallstones attack. X
All good ideas! I had a v shaped pillow which I found helped me sleep in bed to keep me lying on my back (which I don't usually do in my sleep) and more elevated when I was struggling with gas pains for the first few days

• Heart
Get some peppermint capsules and tell her to take them as a standard. Stops the pain of wind ☺

• Heart
Thanks CC and Punkrocker. Gallbladder has now been removed and I'm back home recovering. I haven't actually let my little one see me yet which was my choice to avoid any stress for both of us but my partner has been great and done all the night feeds last night, nursery drop off today etc.

Agree with Devils Arse suggestions above, especially around the ice cream! I was given toast not long after coming back round and I could barely swallow it😑 so they gave me a tub of ice cream and a yogurt pot instead, as well as a peppermint tea. I'm now 24hr post op and currently lying in bed resting. Still feel a bit rough but I'm taking my pain etc. And I finally managed to have some toast this morning and be able to swallow it 🙌

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Sorry for the second question - but how were you all feeling on Day 3?

My daughter is having the operation next Friday, but on the Sunday has an online charity event she's part of. It's been in the planning for years and I know she'll be devastated to miss it (it's her baby!). It will just involve her sitting on her laptop on the sofa keeping an eye on things, but it would be good to know realistically how you were feeling at that point and if she'd be able to contribute at all.

• Heart

My daughter is having the operation next Friday, but on the Sunday has an online charity event she's part of. It's been in the planning for years and I know she'll be devastated to miss it (it's her baby!). It will just involve her sitting on her laptop on the sofa keeping an eye on things, but it would be good to know realistically how you were feeling at that point and if she'd be able to contribute at all.
If it’s just sitting I think she’ll be ok. I felt alright in myself by day 3 when I was just sitting around, but still found moving about and sleeping difficult. Getting up from sitting and doing stuff that needed my stomach muscles was what caused me pain.

If it’s just sitting I think she’ll be ok. I felt alright in myself by day 3 when I was just sitting around, but still found moving about and sleeping difficult. Getting up from sitting and doing stuff that needed my stomach muscles was what caused me pain.
Thank you! I'm trying to convince her to simply say no to it all, but I know this is a big thing for her. It would just be sitting with a laptop.

Honestly? Who knows. I was back at work (WFH) the day after my op. But I've had colleagues who were a bit sore for a few days after and couldn't work.

I would just tell your daughter to keep on top of her pain for the first few days, even if she's feeling ok as that will be the pain killers doing their job. And try not to stress. If she needs to take a quick nap for 30 mins over the weekend, take it. don't fight it as she will feel a lot better afterwards. The anaesthetic will be working it's way out of her systems.

Lots of fluid
plenty of sleep/rest
gentle walks around the lounge to keep everything moving. (GA can duck your bowels up, so a laxative may be needed).

And lots of ice cream. Honestly, it will make her feel so much better!

Honestly? Who knows. I was back at work (WFH) the day after my op. But I've had colleagues who were a bit sore for a few days after and couldn't work.

I would just tell your daughter to keep on top of her pain for the first few days, even if she's feeling ok as that will be the pain killers doing their job. And try not to stress. If she needs to take a quick nap for 30 mins over the weekend, take it. don't fight it as she will feel a lot better afterwards. The anaesthetic will be working it's way out of her systems.

Lots of fluid
plenty of sleep/rest
gentle walks around the lounge to keep everything moving. (GA can duck your bowels up, so a laxative may be needed).

And lots of ice cream. Honestly, it will make her feel so much better!
Thank you so much, genuinely. She's a tough little thing and has bounced back from previous surgeries like a champ - I'm hoping this one is smooth for her too. Ice cream is definitely on the way - I'll be filling up her freezer with her favourites:LOL:

• Heart
Just to say all went well for my daughter! So thank you all. She's home now. One she forgot to ask is when she can start having baths again (she doesn't have a shower). Any knowledge on this? :unsure:

• Heart
Reactions: 2
My surgeon said not to have one until the plasters come off. I had one before then but only had a small amount of water so it didn't come up to my belly

The concern with baths is sitting in them for a long time is that perfect breeding ground for wounds. Warm and wet so if she has one not for long and make sure any wounds are dry and not wet under a soggy plaster

Was she able to do her event. I got mine done on a Friday and no way by Sunday I would have been fit for anything but as another poster here said they were able to work the next day so everyone is different. Hope she is well x