Gallstones

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
IVE HAD MY GALLBLADDER OUT 🥳

I was so worried they were gonna send me home yesterday as I woke up in no pain, didn’t have any pain relief since the night before, I thought I’d be sent home and then just wait to hear about surgery.
In walks the surgeon and doctor and I couldn’t believe my ears! They said they had slots that afternoon, and as I have no further complications, they think it’s best to get it out now. Surgery was perfectly fine, when I woke up, I felt horrendous but after a little bit of toast I felt so much better.
I’m so happy I’ve had it done, I pretty much skipped into theatre 🤣

Reactions: 11
IVE HAD MY GALLBLADDER OUT 🥳

I was so worried they were gonna send me home yesterday as I woke up in no pain, didn’t have any pain relief since the night before, I thought I’d be sent home and then just wait to hear about surgery.
In walks the surgeon and doctor and I couldn’t believe my ears! They said they had slots that afternoon, and as I have no further complications, they think it’s best to get it out now. Surgery was perfectly fine, when I woke up, I felt horrendous but after a little bit of toast I felt so much better.
I’m so happy I’ve had it done, I pretty much skipped into theatre 🤣
How are you feeling now?
Glad you got the op!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
How are you feeling now?
Glad you got the op!
I feel pretty back to normal now! Todays the first day I actually went out, popped to see family and then did the food shop with husband and baby. It was lovely to go out and I don’t actually feel that tired now. I only had to take codeine twice today, once I woke up and just then before I got in bed instead of every so many hours. And I was happy to looked after the baby on my own for the first time and not having someone pick him up for me for a little bit!
The cuts are quite itchy but I guess that’s them healing! But overall, doing great 😘

How’re you? How you feeling? Any news on your op?

Reactions: 2
I feel pretty back to normal now! Todays the first day I actually went out, popped to see family and then did the food shop with husband and baby. It was lovely to go out and I don’t actually feel that tired now. I only had to take codeine twice today, once I woke up and just then before I got in bed instead of every so many hours. And I was happy to looked after the baby on my own for the first time and not having someone pick him up for me for a little bit!
The cuts are quite itchy but I guess that’s them healing! But overall, doing great 😘

How’re you? How you feeling? Any news on your op?
Glad you’re doing much better! Crazy to think an organ so small can cause so much pain and worry about attacks!

yeah doing okay, haven’t heard anything about my op yet. Not sure how in advance you receive a date for an op tbh!
Had more attacks recently but then I haven’t been too great with the diet because getting a bit bored and fed up!

• Heart
Hi everyone, just found the thread so apologies if I'm repeating anything that's been asked already. I will go back and catch up 😊
In the last 2.5 years or so, I've had 4 instances of what my mum said sounded like gallstones pain, from her experience. 2 were pre-pregnancy and with probably a year's gap then 2 post-pregnancy (I'm almost 10mths pp) in April and yesterday. Starting in the middle of the back, round the right side and into the front. Kicks in during the night and usually gone by morning with just a groggy, aching feeling left. This current episode has been much worse and lasted all day and continues today. Luckily the baby was with grandparents yesterday as I was in no state to look after him and my husband has had to take the day off today. I managed to see the doctor yesterday and she had a poke around and said she did think it was gallstones but not infected so has referred me for bloods and an ultrasound so I've got to wait for that.
In the meantime, she's given me paracetamol and Buscopan. Is there anything else I should be doing that might help for now?

• Heart
Hi everyone, just found the thread so apologies if I'm repeating anything that's been asked already. I will go back and catch up 😊
In the last 2.5 years or so, I've had 4 instances of what my mum said sounded like gallstones pain, from her experience. 2 were pre-pregnancy and with probably a year's gap then 2 post-pregnancy (I'm almost 10mths pp) in April and yesterday. Starting in the middle of the back, round the right side and into the front. Kicks in during the night and usually gone by morning with just a groggy, aching feeling left. This current episode has been much worse and lasted all day and continues today. Luckily the baby was with grandparents yesterday as I was in no state to look after him and my husband has had to take the day off today. I managed to see the doctor yesterday and she had a poke around and said she did think it was gallstones but not infected so has referred me for bloods and an ultrasound so I've got to wait for that.
In the meantime, she's given me paracetamol and Buscopan. Is there anything else I should be doing that might help for now?
It does sound like gallstones… I’d take it easy (completely understand that’s easy to say but not so easy to do with a baby!), try to avoid fatty foods, lots of water and I always found apple juice helped. When I was having an episode, I found a hot water bottle on my tummy and lying on my left hand side. I was always sick when I had the pain and that also relieved it!
If you have gallstones then you have gallbladder disease and it doesn’t get better, it will only get worse which is why the best result is to get it removed otherwise you can get blocked ducts because of stones and that can cause other issues (and lots more pain!)
But please don’t be worried, I’ve coming up to 3 weeks post op and I’ve never felt better, I can look after my baby, I’ve started running again!
sending you lots of love Xxxx

• Heart
It does sound like gallstones… I’d take it easy (completely understand that’s easy to say but not so easy to do with a baby!), try to avoid fatty foods, lots of water and I always found apple juice helped. When I was having an episode, I found a hot water bottle on my tummy and lying on my left hand side. I was always sick when I had the pain and that also relieved it!
If you have gallstones then you have gallbladder disease and it doesn’t get better, it will only get worse which is why the best result is to get it removed otherwise you can get blocked ducts because of stones and that can cause other issues (and lots more pain!)
But please don’t be worried, I’ve coming up to 3 weeks post op and I’ve never felt better, I can look after my baby, I’ve started running again!
sending you lots of love Xxxx
Oh brilliant, I'm glad it's worked out well for you. How long did you have to wait to have it removed? I guess I'm concerned that it hasn't been going on that long for me so they might just leave me and I'll just be waiting and worrying for the next time.
Thanks for the tips 😊 I'm going to try a warm bath then I'll get the hot water bottle out. I felt really sick yesterday but that's eased a bit today. I'm guilty of not drinking enough water so I'm working on that! Good luck on your continued recovery! X x

• Heart
Oh brilliant, I'm glad it's worked out well for you. How long did you have to wait to have it removed? I guess I'm concerned that it hasn't been going on that long for me so they might just leave me and I'll just be waiting and worrying for the next time.
Thanks for the tips 😊 I'm going to try a warm bath then I'll get the hot water bottle out. I felt really sick yesterday but that's eased a bit today. I'm guilty of not drinking enough water so I'm working on that! Good luck on your continued recovery! X x
Just quoting myself to say @pink_lemonade I've caught up now so seen your op was sprung on you a bit! I also had a c-section, I wonder if there is any link between that and aggravating an existing gall bladder/stone problem.

• Heart
Just quoting myself to say @pink_lemonade I've caught up now so seen your op was sprung on you a bit! I also had a c-section, I wonder if there is any link between that and aggravating an existing gall bladder/stone problem.
It’s most likely the rapid weight gain in pregnancy that causes it. I work in obstetrics and never read/heard the correlation between CS and gallstones but I know weight gain/rapid weight loss can be one of the reasons.

It’s most likely the rapid weight gain in pregnancy that causes it. I work in obstetrics and never read/heard the correlation between CS and gallstones but I know weight gain/rapid weight loss can be one of the reasons.
@PunkRocker @unidentified Actually I didn’t put any weight on during pregnancy due to the fact I was very sick and avoided food at all costs, if anything I think I lost weight! But my doctor reckons my gallstones were caused by the sickness, I was bringing up so much bile every day, he seems to think that might be a link.

@PunkRocker I probably left mine too long, that’s how it ended up getting taken out as an emergency. I was having horrendous pain, crying, rolling round my bed every month since February when I had my son. But I’d really recommend any time you get the pain, go to A&E, reading from people’s experiences that’s how you get pushed up the list xxx

@PunkRocker @unidentified Actually I didn’t put any weight on during pregnancy due to the fact I was very sick and avoided food at all costs, if anything I think I lost weight! But my doctor reckons my gallstones were caused by the sickness, I was bringing up so much bile every day, he seems to think that might be a link.

@PunkRocker I probably left mine too long, that’s how it ended up getting taken out as an emergency. I was having horrendous pain, crying, rolling round my bed every month since February when I had my son. But I’d really recommend any time you get the pain, go to A&E, reading from people’s experiences that’s how you get pushed up the list xxx
Yeah, I can see that. Gallstones are the devil and mostly affect women through their yoyo dieting but can obviously be caused in other ways. Glad my gallstone got taken out even if I sometimes have to run to the loo and I go more often than I used to

• Heart
Yeah, I can see that. Gallstones are the devil and mostly affect women through their yoyo dieting but can obviously be caused in other ways. Glad my gallstone got taken out even if I sometimes have to run to the loo and I go more often than I used to
Yeah that’s the only thing, I’m definitely more regular than I used to be! But I’d rather that than have the horrendous pain! Are you taking any supplements? The Facebook group that I’m in all talk about tudca but I’ve not bought any yet!

Yeah that’s the only thing, I’m definitely more regular than I used to be! But I’d rather that than have the horrendous pain! Are you taking any supplements? The Facebook group that I’m in all talk about tudca but I’ve not bought any yet!
I don’t take anything. Recently had all my bloods done as an MOT for another referral I need/ want and everything is normal and well within the positive ranges. Were you advised to? I wasn’t. My dad and brother in law had there’s out over the last year and weren’t either. My brother in law ended up back in last year because a stone was left in his bile duct and it caused for him to be very unwell again (like yourself). That is a scary thought.

• Heart
I don’t take anything. Recently had all my bloods done as an MOT for another referral I need/ want and everything is normal and well within the positive ranges. Were you advised to? I wasn’t. My dad and brother in law had there’s out over the last year and weren’t either. My brother in law ended up back in last year because a stone was left in his bile duct and it caused for him to be very unwell again (like yourself). That is a scary thought.
Aww that’s good news for you! And no, I wasn’t advised too either, from what I’ve read potentially majority of people that take supplements have serious toilet issues but seeing as I’ve got no major issues I won’t bother!
Yes that is a real scary thought, I’m trying to reassure myself that, fingers crossed, it wont happen as they did an ultra sound after to make sure it was all gone 😬😬😬

Well, I seem to have queue-jumped slightly. Had an awful night Tuesday/Wednesday and ended up calling 111. They sent an ambulance for me, I sat in the Surgical Assessment Unit alone all day, had an ultrasound, begged for pain and food which never came. Got admitted to a ward at 7.30pm, put on IV antibiotics at 10pm, threw up twice in the night. Surgeon came up this morning and they're going go take my gallbladder out tomorrow 🫣 Now I'm scared!

Well, I seem to have queue-jumped slightly. Had an awful night Tuesday/Wednesday and ended up calling 111. They sent an ambulance for me, I sat in the Surgical Assessment Unit alone all day, had an ultrasound, begged for pain and food which never came. Got admitted to a ward at 7.30pm, put on IV antibiotics at 10pm, threw up twice in the night. Surgeon came up this morning and they're going go take my gallbladder out tomorrow 🫣 Now I'm scared!
Hope you are okay! Glad they are rushing you through to have the surgery done, just think after you’re all healed you won’t be waiting for more pain again!
Hope the surgery goes well and a speedy recovery.

Reactions: 2
Hope you are okay! Glad they are rushing you through to have the surgery done, just think after you’re all healed you won’t be waiting for more pain again!
Hope the surgery goes well and a speedy recovery.
Yesterday was really rough but now the antibiotics have kicked in, it's much better. I'm just hoping the recovery isn't too bad, I'm dreading it a bit with having the baby to look after tbh.
You're right though, at least I won't be living in fear for the next time.

Hi everyone,
How’s everybody healed up now?
I’m two weeks post-op and for the most part back to normal. Did anybody get a lot of swelling upper right of your belly button? Mine is protruding out and it’s fairly noticeable. Going to arrange for my incisions to be checked as one of them has the knot of a stitch inside of the incision so will ask them to check the swelling but just wondering if anybody else had this problem?

• Heart
Hi everyone,
How’s everybody healed up now?
I’m two weeks post-op and for the most part back to normal. Did anybody get a lot of swelling upper right of your belly button? Mine is protruding out and it’s fairly noticeable. Going to arrange for my incisions to be checked as one of them has the knot of a stitch inside of the incision so will ask them to check the swelling but just wondering if anybody else had this problem?
Could be an umbilical hernia? Have you been doing too much. I was told that was a risk

Could be an umbilical hernia? Have you been doing too much. I was told that was a risk
Yeah I was thinking that it could possibly be a hernia - but I also had lots of swelling there the day after the operation. I think it is more noticeable when I’ve eaten and goes down again once my stomach is empty