Gallstones

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve just been diagnosed with gallstones. I’m a typical candidate female, forty (almost) fat, fertile and fair 🤣 (the 5 fs)
They’re big so not going to get trapped, but the sonographer said I’d get put on a low fat diet etc. The gallbladder isn’t swollen just two huge gallstones that cause discomfort. Need to see my GP now. Just seeing if anybody else has them or has had them and what the outcome was.

I had my gallbladder removed a few years back as I had gallstones and they were causing me so much pain. But since having the gallbladder removed, I've been riddled with tummy issues, so the only advice I have is avoid surgery if you can! Do you have any pain from the gallstones?

Reactions: 3
I had my gallbladder removed a few years back as I had gallstones and they were causing me so much pain. But since having the gallbladder removed, I've been riddled with tummy issues, so the only advice I have is avoid surgery if you can! Do you have any pain from the gallstones?
Several times a week I have cramping in my back and a stitch like pain but it’s not as bad as she’s saying it can get. She advised me to get pain relief from a and e… I’m not there yet! I’m sorry you’ve had problems since :(

Depending on size they can also be broken down using shockwave therapy. You should also be drinking plenty of water.

Reactions: 1
I had my gallbladder removed years ago - I turned bright yellow and ended up in hospital with pancreatitis and cholecystitis(sp?). It was a miserable year or so with it as I was admitted to hospital with severe pain and infections etc. half a dozen times, so the only option really was to have it taken out - I couldn’t have it removed initially because I had to wait for another procedure first (ERCP) as the stones were getting stuck. I’ve always had digestive issues so it’s hard to say if it made it worse, but honestly I think the main time I suffer now is if I eat something really, really greasy or really, really stodgy - pizza is no longer my friend 🙁 Other than that I don’t really notice a lot of difference.

Reactions: 4
I had my gallbladder removed years ago - I turned bright yellow and ended up in hospital with pancreatitis and cholecystitis(sp?). It was a miserable year or so with it as I was admitted to hospital with severe pain and infections etc. half a dozen times, so the only option really was to have it taken out - I couldn’t have it removed initially because I had to wait for another procedure first (ERCP) as the stones were getting stuck. I’ve always had digestive issues so it’s hard to say if it made it worse, but honestly I think the main time I suffer now is if I eat something really, really greasy or really, really stodgy - pizza is no longer my friend 🙁 Other than that I don’t really notice a lot of difference.
Ah I’m glad it’s worked out for you. Ah I love pizza. I too have always had digestive issues with ibs but lately I’ve had a lot of I digestion so I’m assuming that’s related. I just need to speak to the doctor now and see what he says.

I had my gall bladder out a few months back after blood tests showed my liver was "deranged". Best thing for me was having it out as you don't have that fear that you could get an attack at any time, and the pain was unbearable.

Touch wood so far I've had no digestive/stomach issues and can eat what I like, but I know other people have had to cut certain foods out of their diet. Have to weigh it up really.

Best of luck, and fingers crossed they won't cause you any further pain x

I had gallstones about eight years ago. They weren't big but my gallbladder still ruptured. Ended up in a&e with extreme pain; turned out sepsis had started. Had gallbladder out through keyhole surgery, recovered in a month, and haven't had any problems since.

If the pain gets too bad, go in and get checked.

• Wow
I had gallstones and had my gallbladder removed with keyhole surgery about 20 yrs ago.

Best thing I had done as I'd had lots of back pain from the gallstones (not typical so doctor didn't check for gallstones initially) and was doubled over with the pain sometimes.

The odd very fatty meal leaves my body a little faster but that's it.

I had gallstones and had my gallbladder removed with keyhole surgery about 20 yrs ago.

Best thing I had done as I'd had lots of back pain from the gallstones (not typical so doctor didn't check for gallstones initially) and was doubled over with the pain sometimes.

The odd very fatty meal leaves my body a little faster but that's it.
Well this is why it’s taken 18 months because it started as back pain and id just had w baby so we all assumed muscular but then the pain spread to my front. But when I spoke to the sonographer she said the back cramping was common.
I’m glad you’ve all recovered well. Fingers crossed I can manage it :)

I had gallstones about eight years ago. They weren't big but my gallbladder still ruptured. Ended up in a&e with extreme pain; turned out sepsis had started. Had gallbladder out through keyhole surgery, recovered in a month, and haven't had any problems since.

If the pain gets too bad, go in and get checked.
Thank you I will do! Glad you recovered well that must have been scary!

I had my gallbladder removed a couple of years ago as I had two fairly large stones that were causing me absolute agony on and off. Mine didn't seem to be related to food (I've eaten the exact same foods before and after, my diet isn't particularly fatty) and there wasn't really any particular triggers so it was really horrible not knowing when the pain would hit. I only found out about the stones as I'd been in so much pain my GP investigated and then referred me to get it removed.

Would take the recovery from the surgery ANY DAY over gallbladder attacks. I've never had any side effects or further pain since the op.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I hadg gallbladder out around 8 years ago in my early 20’s and didn’t fit any of the usual categories. I wasnt overweight, young, healthy and af the gym every day..so it annoys me when people assume it’s people with fatty diets who get gallstones!

Mins were agony. I went to A&E about 3 or 4 times and was admitted for a week once as it was so severe. Had my op about two month later (was extremely careful in between and I remember not having a christmas dinner as I didn’t want to set the pain off again). Recovery was a couple of weeks, scars have completely disappeared now and no side effects.

Reactions: 7
After my first daughter was born in 2007 I kept having these random attacks I thought it was from the pregnancy and I had hurt my ribs ..this went on till 2019 I was in agony I went to GP unit... I had a gallstone in my duct ...severe pancreatictus and my liver was failing I started turning yellow...I was admitted had a scan and MRI and then they removed my gall bladder.....I have to watch what I eat as some foods will give me cramps and a run to the loo ..but I'd have that any day over the pain I used to get

I hadg gallbladder out around 8 years ago in my early 20’s and didn’t fit any of the usual categories. I wasnt overweight, young, healthy and af the gym every day..so it annoys me when people assume it’s people with fatty diets who get gallstones!

Mins were agony. I went to A&E about 3 or 4 times and was admitted for a week once as it was so severe. Had my op about two month later (was extremely careful in between and I remember not having a christmas dinner as I didn’t want to set the pain off again). Recovery was a couple of weeks, scars have completely disappeared now and no side effects.
I mean I do love chocolate but I’ve never really eaten fatty meats, pastries, butter etc. But I do fit the 5fs the doctor told me about female, fertile, fair, forty (nearly) and fat… I am a bit overweight so that has added to it I’m sure. Really hoping I can eat my Christmas dinner!

I had my gallbladder removed a couple of years ago as I had two fairly large stones that were causing me absolute agony on and off. Mine didn't seem to be related to food (I've eaten the exact same foods before and after, my diet isn't particularly fatty) and there wasn't really any particular triggers so it was really horrible not knowing when the pain would hit. I only found out about the stones as I'd been in so much pain my GP investigated and then referred me to get it removed.

Would take the recovery from the surgery ANY DAY over gallbladder attacks. I've never had any side effects or further pain since the op.
I can’t work out the triggers at all and sometimes exercise triggers it! The sonographer said it’s because the gallstone is rubbing when I exercise. Glad the op went well for you

After my first daughter was born in 2007 I kept having these random attacks I thought it was from the pregnancy and I had hurt my ribs ..this went on till 2019 I was in agony I went to GP unit... I had a gallstone in my duct ...severe pancreatictus and my liver was failing I started turning yellow...I was admitted had a scan and MRI and then they removed my gall bladder.....I have to watch what I eat as some foods will give me cramps and a run to the loo ..but I'd have that any day over the pain I used to get
Ah what foods trigger you? That’s a really long time you weren’t diagnosed!

I had my gallbladder removed in July, I can totally relate to pain of gallstones - worst pain of my life! My pain from them was always in my upper back so I didn’t even connect it to gallstones for like 6 months and just thought I’d damaged my back. But I found it strange how the pain would come on in the middle of the night and then next day it was like I had no pain. Would always be sick when I had an attack as well it was horrific. Ended in up in hospital for the first time in May when I was diagnosed and put on the urgent list for surgery. They thought I had one stuck in the bile duct but luckily not. Ended up back in hospital beginning of July when I had an attack pain that lasted days and days and that’s where they did my surgery, it was the end of that week they told me they were doing it. My planned date was in two weeks anyway but they were really concerned because of how inflamed it was and I developed a really bad infection. I went so jaundice, it was honestly the worst week of my life I wasn’t eating and was just on morphine all the time!! Surgeon said they struggled to get my gallbladder out of the belly button incision because of how many stones there were!! Can definitely say that signing those consent forms for surgery was the best thing I ever did and within a week of surgery I felt pretty much back to normal and was eating whatever I wanted. I definitely don’t fit your typical candidate for gallstones, I’m 19, so was a bit of a shock when they told me that’s what it was but I knew before I even went into hospital. I remember constantly getting comments from the doctors saying how I was young for gallstones 🤣 to this day I can’t figure out what caused them, I’ve always eaten fairly healthy, am not overweight and have no family history of it either. Clearly just my bad luck! My top tips for managing the pain during an attack would be hot water bottle and there’s a certain position you can lie in that really helps, if you search it up online you should be able to find a picture of what I mean, it used to relieve my pain for a bit. I found the low fat diet did help to cut down my number of attacks but sometimes it could be triggered by the weirdest things like lifting suitcases!! I hope you feel much better soon xx

Reactions: 5
I had my gallbladder removed in July, I can totally relate to pain of gallstones - worst pain of my life! My pain from them was always in my upper back so I didn’t even connect it to gallstones for like 6 months and just thought I’d damaged my back. But I found it strange how the pain would come on in the middle of the night and then next day it was like I had no pain. Would always be sick when I had an attack as well it was horrific. Ended in up in hospital for the first time in May when I was diagnosed and put on the urgent list for surgery. They thought I had one stuck in the bile duct but luckily not. Ended up back in hospital beginning of July when I had an attack pain that lasted days and days and that’s where they did my surgery, it was the end of that week they told me they were doing it. My planned date was in two weeks anyway but they were really concerned because of how inflamed it was and I developed a really bad infection. I went so jaundice, it was honestly the worst week of my life I wasn’t eating and was just on morphine all the time!! Surgeon said they struggled to get my gallbladder out of the belly button incision because of how many stones there were!! Can definitely say that signing those consent forms for surgery was the best thing I ever did and within a week of surgery I felt pretty much back to normal and was eating whatever I wanted. I definitely don’t fit your typical candidate for gallstones, I’m 19, so was a bit of a shock when they told me that’s what it was but I knew before I even went into hospital. I remember constantly getting comments from the doctors saying how I was young for gallstones 🤣 to this day I can’t figure out what caused them, I’ve always eaten fairly healthy, am not overweight and have no family history of it either. Clearly just my bad luck! My top tips for managing the pain during an attack would be hot water bottle and there’s a certain position you can lie in that really helps, if you search it up online you should be able to find a picture of what I mean, it used to relieve my pain for a bit. I found the low fat diet did help to cut down my number of attacks but sometimes it could be triggered by the weirdest things like lifting suitcases!! I hope you feel much better soon xx
Ah so sorry you went through that! But glad you’re recovered now! It is my back it mainly affects. But get like a stitch pain in my front sometimes too but I can’t pinpoint anything at all. Sometimes it’s there in the morning sometimes not. It seems random. I’m eating low fat now anyway just to see if that helps it but I think possibly because of the size of mine I will get twinges in certain positions coz two two centimetre stones in my body isn’t normal! 🤣

Ah so sorry you went through that! But glad you’re recovered now! It is my back it mainly affects. But get like a stitch pain in my front sometimes too but I can’t pinpoint anything at all. Sometimes it’s there in the morning sometimes not. It seems random. I’m eating low fat now anyway just to see if that helps it but I think possibly because of the size of mine I will get twinges in certain positions coz two two centimetre stones in my body isn’t normal! 🤣
Have they mentioned surgery to get it removed or is it just about managing it for now? That’s what the doctor in A&E said initially to me before I had my ultrasound and they realised how many were in there 🤣

Have they mentioned surgery to get it removed or is it just about managing it for now? That’s what the doctor in A&E said initially to me before I had my ultrasound and they realised how many were in there 🤣
I’m not sure yet as just had the initial sonographer visit so I need to see the doctor now. But she said there’s a long waiting list so if he’ll let me go on it I think I will because I don’t know how it’s going to progress… I’ve read most cases end up in surgery at some point. I’m just then concerned about relying on my liver to do the gall bladder job 🤣