Friends (or lack of)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s a neighbours birthday today, I wished her happy birthday on Facebook. Later saw her as i was hanging my washing, said hope you’ve had a nice day n have you got any plans said no. Later on i was in the kitchen n she walked past ( open gardens n I face her block of flats) she knocked for another neighbour
 they both saw me in the kitchen waved. I had to
Put the bins out so went out the front
. Sae them and another neighbour n village friends go round the corner to the clubhouse! Just feels like a kick in the teeth!it’s my birthday rhis week n I was gonna invite them to my birthday drinks in the village pub with my village friends
.well I’m not now! They have all gone out before n not asked me yet in lockdown we had such good street party’s on my front garden!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
My friend did message me back and everything is all good for now 😊 let’s hope it stays that way for a while đŸ€žđŸŒ

• Heart
Reactions: 5
the whole 'no friends' thing is accentuated tenfold in the summer.. seems to be weekend after weekend of watching others enjoy themselves on instagram/facebook/whatever else, which especially these days with WFH (and in my case being self employed) reminds you how isolated you feel from the rest of society! such is life i suppose

• Heart
Reactions: 19
The summer is definitely worse as there are so many events on. Before the days of social media, people would just be blissfully unaware what other people were doing!

Reactions: 16
I think we should rename this thread “examples of people being shitheads” 😂
😂 😂
On that note.
As part of my continued mission to “make more effort”, I went out a couple of weeks back, and then tried to arrange the next get together.
I suggested a venue and we threw a few possible dates out there.
The following morning a couple of our group members messaged that they couldn’t actually make any of the suggested dates - we could still have gone ahead with 4 or 5 of us there, but all went silent and the idea was quietly dropped - I’m not gonna beg people to come out with me so that was that 😂
Fast forward a week, and a few of them have met up for coffee (I couldn’t go, that was no problem), and have suggested a night out - different venue, completely different date.
I can’t make it. Someone else can’t make it. Same number of people who couldn’t go on the original date, just different people.
So this one is going ahead!
I bumped into one of them yesterday and I let them know that I’m not getting involved any more in the nights out - when they’d stopped telling me all about they, themselves and them 😂 .
I’ll meet a couple of them now and again for coffee or lunch, but I’m done with being a spare part, and I’m not wasting effort on people who are bloody rude!

Reactions: 10
Hey guys, new to the thread hope it’s okay to post

Just found out today that I haven’t been invited to one of my closest friends hen party. I don’t have many friends, maybe three at the most. She’s been my friend for over twenty years, there for each other through thick and thin, and given some wishy washy excuse of ‘oh I thought you wouldn’t be able to come because of your son’ who would be fine with my husband for a few days! Would’ve been nice to be asked eh
😕
I really don’t want to attend the wedding now, but worry it will make me look like a witch if I don’t go. I’m so disappointed in her, and honestly don’t think I can forgive her for this

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 24

Just found out today that I haven’t been invited to one of my closest friends hen party. I don’t have many friends, maybe three at the most. She’s been my friend for over twenty years, there for each other through thick and thin, and given some wishy washy excuse of ‘oh I thought you wouldn’t be able to come because of your son’ who would be fine with my husband for a few days! Would’ve been nice to be asked eh
😕
I really don’t want to attend the wedding now, but worry it will make me look like a witch if I don’t go. I’m so disappointed in her, and honestly don’t think I can forgive her for this
First I would talk honestly with her and explain how no invitation made you feel. Close friends for such a long time, I would give her the benefit of the doubt First and have a conversation

Reactions: 6

😕
Wow that is so rude! How can people just automatically assume you won’t be able to go so no point of inviting. It’s the invitation and thought that counts even if you can’t go. I’m sure because it’s your close friend that you would organise something to be at her hens do anyway and like you said, your husband is more than capable of looking after his son for a few hours. I would definitely be mentioning your feelings. If she doesn’t like it, then go to the wedding and then cut her off.

Reactions: 4
First I would talk honestly with her and explain how no invitation made you feel. Close friends for such a long time, I would give her the benefit of the doubt First and have a conversation
It almost feels like one of those conversations you shouldn’t have to have though..
Wow that is so rude! How can people just automatically assume you won’t be able to go so no point of inviting. It’s the invitation and thought that counts even if you can’t go. I’m sure because it’s your close friend that you would organise something to be at her hens do anyway and like you said, your husband is more than capable of looking after his son for a few hours. I would definitely be mentioning your feelings. If she doesn’t like it, then go to the wedding and then cut her off.
Exactly! I would have organised something of course, it’s just the total lack of thought and consideration is hurtful. I would never have left her out of my hen party plans.
Ive only been invited to the evening party anyway, so maybe our ‘friendship’ isn’t what I thought it was and it’s time to cut it off anyway

It almost feels like one of those conversations you shouldn’t have to have though..

Exactly! I would have organised something of course, it’s just the total lack of thought and consideration is hurtful. I would never have left her out of my hen party plans.
Ive only been invited to the evening party anyway, so maybe our ‘friendship’ isn’t what I thought it was and it’s time to cut it off anyway
You shouldn’t have to have the conversation but I think it’s important that she understands how it’s made you feel. We are so bad at confrontation in our culture but if you feel like it’s the end of the road for the friendship you really have nothing to lose by telling her how being excluded has made you feel.

You shouldn’t have to have the conversation but I think it’s important that she understands how it’s made you feel. We are so bad at confrontation in our culture but if you feel like it’s the end of the road for the friendship you really have nothing to lose by telling her how being excluded has made you feel.
I’m sure it’s going to get to the point where eventually something will be said, we are bad at confrontation you’re so right, ten years ago I probably would’ve said something straight away, as I’ve got older now I tend to either let it go or cut them off and move on.

Reactions: 3

😕
This is inexcusable imo.
She assumed you wouldn’t go?! Then she should have let you know you were wanted there but that she’d understand if you couldn’t make it.
If I’m honest, I don’t think you owe her a conversation.
To do something like that you have to be too thick skinned to understand the feelings of others.
Sorry you’ve been hurt like this.

• Heart
This is inexcusable imo.
She assumed you wouldn’t go?! Then she should have let you know you were wanted there but that she’d understand if you couldn’t make it.
If I’m honest, I don’t think you owe her a conversation.
To do something like that you have to be too thick skinned to understand the feelings of others.
Sorry you’ve been hurt like this.
The way I feel right now, i won’t speak to her again. I think if it was discussed she would instantly defend her choices and then it would be a ‘well come if you want too’ kind of situation. Which would be even worse.
I was treated as an after thought for many years in a previous relationship, and wouldn’t expect it from a friend.
She is incredibly thick skinned and is always right even when she’s wrong kind of person, so she would justify her own actions.

Thank you, it’s another lesson learned in life I guess x

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Well I spun out into a panic attack after turning up at my friends to a packed house. đŸ«  have had one of those weekends where it’s all been quite stressful and so I really wanted to stay home, I thought I was going round to see just them but they had a houseful
. Way way way too much for me today. I had to leave, is there anything more embarrassing?
---
Well I spun out into a panic attack after turning up at my friends to a packed house. đŸ«  have had one of those weekends where it’s all been quite stressful and so I really wanted to stay home, I thought I was going round to see just them but they had a houseful
. Way way way too much for me today. I had to leave, is there anything more embarrassing?
Should probably add my friend has just messaged asking if I’m okay and that the other guests were only meant to pop by not still be there when we were đŸ€ŠđŸ»â€â™€ïž

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I think my friendship is over with one of my friends. We’ve been drifting for a while. I feel like we don’t have anything in common anymore and she never makes the effort with me much these days
It’s always be going to her town ( she lives the next town over from me it’s 10 miles to her house from mine) she never says we’ll do something near your house
She never texts unless I do
When we talk she never pays attention to what I say I just think what is the point of this
And you know I am sadly ok if we have drifted apart. It’s life. I’d rather have no friends than fake ones 😂😭

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
This thread has helped a lot and made me realise I am not alone. I have 1 great friend she lives abroad. I have 2 other friends I meet up occasionally.
Over the years my friendships have dwindled as I realise people never ask you questions or seem genuinely interested in your lives or let you down. I always seem to put the work in.

I find it hard now in my 30s trying to make friends. I have a 16 month year old and a baby on the way. I tried peanut but I find conversations don’t go anywhere. Also many are going to be new mothers so I’m guessing they are looking for women in similar position. Majority of people don’t seem to ask questions and only talk about themselves or some women are very competitive. In my area if you go to playgroups and repeatedly see the same people nobody says hello.
I have met people off peanut but I realise they are not a match for me.

I feel very down today could be hormonal. I just feel so alone. I want friends or women to connect with but I am not the type of person to hang out with anyone just because I am lonely. Sometimes I do ask myself if something is wrong with me.
I’m at a loss what to do.
I just needed to vent this.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
This thread has helped a lot and made me realise I am not alone. I have 1 great friend she lives abroad. I have 2 other friends I meet up occasionally.
Over the years my friendships have dwindled as I realise people never ask you questions or seem genuinely interested in your lives or let you down. I always seem to put the work in.

I find it hard now in my 30s trying to make friends. I have a 16 month year old and a baby on the way. I tried peanut but I find conversations don’t go anywhere. Also many are going to be new mothers so I’m guessing they are looking for women in similar position. Majority of people don’t seem to ask questions and only talk about themselves or some women are very competitive. In my area if you go to playgroups and repeatedly see the same people nobody says hello.
I have met people off peanut but I realise they are not a match for me.

I feel very down today could be hormonal. I just feel so alone. I want friends or women to connect with but I am not the type of person to hang out with anyone just because I am lonely. Sometimes I do ask myself if something is wrong with me.
I’m at a loss what to do.
I just needed to vent this.
I’m sorry you are feeling like this. You are definitely not alone ♄

• Heart
Hey guys hope you’re all doing well! I’ve stumbled across this thread as to put it bluntly I’m lonely as duck.

I’m a carer for my mum and I feel that since this has happened my friends have slowly disappeared. Some don’t get the worry and anxiety that comes with having a sick parent, others just got on with life which I totally get. In some ways I guess I have pushed some people away, but I’ve been suffering with my mental health badly the last few years. I have an amazing boyfriend but just feel like I depend on him to go out and stuff.

I turn 30 this year, the idea of the a party is out of the window purely because I don’t have a strong friendship group anymore. It’s so hard but find it difficult to open up to people about what’s going on. I just feel so lonely and sad seeing others having fun with friends. I think of when I get married will I have a maid of honour or bridesmaids? God parents for my children. It’s just a horrible feeling.

Thank you for reading ❀

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.